Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who's the best rock/ metal singer?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

Why arent there more mentions of Robert Plant??!!!!:confused:
    His voice is just so ****ing god damn hot.
    Also love Daltrey, Grace Slick, Tankian and Nancy Wilson.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭*tOpLaSs

Corey Taylor
    James Hetfield
    Serj Tankian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

Eddie from All Shall Perish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Freddie is my no. 1 and Grace Slick FTW female voice.

But one that hasn't been mentioned is Jack White. He is balanced on the line between screaming / singing and on stage he exudes rock n'roll. So I'll throw him in there as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Freddy Mercury(Amazing Cried when i heard he died)
    Robert Plant (Led Zepp God)
    Bruce Dickinson(Live he is amazing)
    Axl Rose(G N R 1987 1st rock band ever listened too)
    Chris Cornell(Brill Him and Eddie singing that song)
    Steve Tyler(again very strong live vocally November 1993 Him and joe Perry at the Point!!)
    Rodger Daltry(Don't let the sun go down on me on The lost Boys OST Sublime)
    David Coverdale(I loved whitesnake and i loved that cd he did with Jimmy Page)
    Mike Patton(Another great lead singer)
    Eddie Vedder(Evenflow i loved that song!!)
    Bon Scott(the oringial and the best)
    Paul Rodgers(I think he has a great voice )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Jim Morrison
    Robert Plant
    Josh Homme(cant believe he hasn't already been mentioned)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Ed Kowalyzck of Live

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Xyo wrote: »
    Layne Stayley anyone?

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

Joacim Cans, oh yeashh

Phil anselmo ftw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

I've gone through this whole thread and haven't seen one mention of Tom Araya. Shame on ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Eddie Vedder
    Kim Deal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

OLP wrote: »
    I've gone through this whole thread and haven't seen one mention of Tom Araya. Shame on ye
    Why? The thread title clearly asks "Who's the best rock/metal singer". Araya's vocal talents aren't a patch on some of the other listed vocalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ladystrange

Really surprised to see no mention of Myles Kennedy from Alter Bridge. I only discovered them this year with the release of the superb album - Blackbird & now have One Day Remains in my collection as well. Fantastic band and boy can that guy sing, gives me goosebumps, amazing.

I think singers (as with all bands/guitarists/bassist/drummers etc) are down to personal taste so heres a few I would class as best rock/metal:

Geddy Lee, sure, not everyones cuppa but I love his style
    Coverdale, loosing it a bit now maybe but god he was brilliant in their early years
    Glen Hughes, very underated imo
    Geoff Tate, superb vocals all round
    Dave Menakitti (sp?), powerful voice
    Max Cavalera, f*%kin amazing
    Phil Anselmo, again f*%kin amazing

Females vocalists that are up there with the best are the great Ms Joplin, Brody from The Distillers and although not rock I think Kate Bush deserves a mention, one of the best female singers around that has managed to stand the test of time and has been around a lot of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Really surprised to see no mention of Myles Kennedy from Alter Bridge. I only discovered them this year with the release of the superb album - Blackbird & now have One Day Remains in my collection as well. Fantastic band and boy can that guy sing, gives me goosebumps, amazing.

You shouldn't be, they're not very well known over here. I've seen them live in London twice now and to say he blows me away is an understatement. Last time he sang Hallelujah solo with him also playing guitar, saw a few people moved to tears. He is simply amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I think many people, myself included, immediately think of Creed minus Scott Stapp when Alter Bridge are mentioned :) I'm sure they deserve a listen though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭ladystrange

You shouldn't be, they're not very well known over here. I've seen them live in London twice now and to say he blows me away is an understatement. Last time he sang Hallelujah solo with him also playing guitar, saw a few people moved to tears. He is simply amazing.

Yeah I've seen that on youtube, takes your breath away just how good he is.

I know quite a few people up this end of the country who'r big fans, gotta spread the word I guess. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRUpbkzEdrY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko6tfrjc1E0

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

chris cornell has an incredible voice, also a big fan of scott weiland from stone temple pilots, and serj tankian.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Personally i dont think anyone could compete with the vocals of James Hetfield and Jason Newstead in the hayday of late 1989. Just listen to the live in Seattle blows me away every time no other vocalist has come close to completely beating his studio recorded vocals like Hetfield did.

Im also a really big fan of Anders Fridén from In Flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Best vocalist? Tim Williams from Vision of Disorder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Couldn't really pick an absolute favourite, but Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth, Bloodbath) and Hansi Kürsch (Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards) have to be some of the most amazing vocalists in metal nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

i like kurt cobain, he has a good scream when he wants gets the goose pimples up. also paul mccartney as much as i dislike him gets my neck hairs up in golden slumber. oh and jeff buckley is fantastic too

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭xseanx

Phillip H Anselmo,
    hands down, best frontman ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

xseanx wrote: »
    Phillip H Anselmo,
    Just bout to say it!

P. Anselmo - Metal
    Eddie Vedder - Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

xseanx wrote: »
    Phillip H Anselmo,

+1

I'll also add Corey Taylor. Maybe not so much for the metal growl vocals, but his clean vocals are teh sex!

Has anybody mentioned any lady vocalists? Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy does a good growl. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭moby1

cant believe this post has gone on 8 pages and no mention of pepper keenan, cool as ****, great singer, great guitarist to boot!, shame shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Bon Scott by a mile

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

For me!

living: david coverdale, steve tyler, and paul rogers!

deceased: freddie mercury or elvis presley!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dirty Frank

Maynard James Keenan - Tool
    Mike Patton - This guy has been involved in a thousand projects but everybody knows him from Faith No More
    AND... Alaina Beaton - Porcelain and the tramps.(http://www.myspace.com/rockcitynosebleed) I think she's under rated, great range and damn if I can't help singin along to her

Someone said Eddie Vedder a few posts ago.... Pearl Jam are my favourite band and I love them to bits but, God, Eddie isn't the greatest singer ever. He's a classic closed off frontman with a great stage presence but if this is all about vocals, sorry Eddie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

For range alone, I'm surprised Gary Cherone hasn't been mentioned yet.

(Waits for flurry of Extreme-bashing...)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Advertisement