Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch your vodafone bill..!

Options
  • 22-05-2008 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Was having a mooch through my Vodafone mobile bill and noted that they were charging me 0.57C for what they call video messaging (0.57 for each picture message). Thing is i've never done video messaging, but i did do picture messaging (they over charged me)......there was about €5 on the bill.........so when i called them and challenged the rep on the phone about it - she credited them to my a/c straight away............in fact, all to quickly!

To be honest, i smell a rat.:confused: Check your Bills!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Was having a mooch through my Vodafone mobile bill and noted that they were charging me 0.57C for what they call video messaging (0.57 for each picture message). Thing is i've never done video messaging, but i did do picture messaging (they over charged me)......there was about €5 on the bill.........so when i called them and challenged the rep on the phone about it - she credited them to my a/c straight away............in fact, all to quickly!

To be honest, i smell a rat.:confused: Check your Bills!

I don't think you can really tell the difference, Video and Picture use the same MMS encapsulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭board om

i dont think there is anything dodgey about it. i reckon it is more of a customer retention thing where rather than argue with a customer over a few euro they credit you instead. it keeps everyone happy. i have been with vodafone on billed phone for years and in the last 2 months i have had 2 issues of over billing, one was their fault and the other was kind of mine. but they credited me for both of them. in fact the one that was more my fault they gave me a whole months free sbuscription (€59) for. then after they had done all that they gave me another month free because i was due an upgrade for over a year and i hadnt used it yet. so in 2 months bills i got about €180 credit when i was only entitled to about €60. but it keeps me a happy customer.

so i wouldnt go thinking they were ripping you off. there is more than likely a rational explanation for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I have a feeling they just credited the money back to save time arguing.

OP: Did you ask the customer service rep what the difference was and why it was charged like that before jumping to conclusions that they were ripping you off?

Are you by any chance on a business package or do you have 3G?

'data-heavy' picture and video messages (100kb to 300kb) = 69c each.
    69c includes vat. Ex vat that equals 57c. All the prices listed on your bill are ex vat until the total.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/businessservices/callmsg/mms/
    http://www.vodafone.ie/vlive/multimedia/

Maybe those prices are the same for regular customers too or those without 3g if the message is over 100kb. Maybe check your sent messages (if saved) to see what size they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

wow- do ye all work for Vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Na, I'd call them a bunch of helpfull posters.
    ;)

• Advertisement

all quick to help alright...and i appreciate it.
    but I'veb een with vodafone since then arrived after buying eircell, and i've often being overcharged on various things.
    I'm a sceptic towards them - on all pricing matters - and they custmoer service is dreadfull - as is their mobile email - it does'nt even have a decent way of filtering spam.

but I'veb een with vodafone since then arrived after buying eircell, and i've often being overcharged on various things.
    I'm a sceptic towards them - on all pricing matters - and they custmoer service is dreadfull - as is their mobile email - it does'nt even have a decent way of filtering spam.
    Maybe try some other operator then. Not sure if any of the others are any better though. On the customer service front I actually don't find them too bad. They seem to have a policy whereby they give their name at the end of the call which is great. Usually any problems I had were resolved. They don't have the best customer service but they ain't the worst either by far.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

1) Well the mobile email is a free service, whats stopping you using gmail instead?

2) Mistakes were made because people where involved. People aren't infallible- but for some reason people in retail/ services always seem to be expected to be.

3) Want bad CC? Try 3. You'll be crying to go back to Voda while cleaning your sim card because you've no signal in half the country. :)

4) I never worked for Voda- just O2!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

ong text messages (0kb to 1kb)19cPicture and video messages (1kb to 100kb)25c'data-heavy' picture and video messages (100kb to 300kb)69cPicture and video messages to international mobile numbers79c
    So basically a pic message more tahn 100kb is 69c, the price on the bill i presume is ex vat.

SDooM wrote: »
    1) Well the mobile email is a free service, whats stopping you using gmail instead?

2) Mistakes were made because people where involved. People aren't infallible- but for some reason people in retail/ services always seem to be expected to be
    +1
    I use gmail on my mobile with IMAP - works perfectly fine.

Instead of giving out about vodafone OP, you should be praising them for great customer service whereby they credited your account instantly even though you were wrong. That to me is looking after the customer.

• Advertisement

Axer.........what? Praise them for overcharging me? I checked the file size, and yes - they have over charged me.

BTW - who do you work for? Vodafone as well?

Sweet devine..........

Axer.........what? Praise them for overcharging me? I checked the file size, and yes - they have over charged me.

Sweet devine..........

?

Occhams razor. If everyone is saying you are being unreasonable, the most likely reason is not that we all work for Vodafone...

A mistake was made. Vodafone fixed it immediately.

Where is the issue here?

SDoom,

A mistake was made - ok , vodafone fixed it - its their duty to do so if they are in the wrong........

you are trying to turn this into an issue...........I'm meerly tipping of fellow boardsies about the overcharging on my vodafone bill as it could affect them. Its a comsumer issue post on a comsumer issue forum? Gezzzzzzzzzzzzzz

thats if it even was an over charging. in my experieince 90% of the time when someone gets over charged as you have it is actually a text they have sent and forgotten about, or something they have downloaded and didnt realise it would cost that much. charges generally dont mysteriously appear on your bill from nowhere. sometimes there might be a service or add-on on your bill that was added in error, but anytime this has happened to me they have credited me back straight away. but call charges or data generally dont just appear from nowhere.

instead of moaning about being 'ripped off' i think you should be grateful that they credited you and sorted it out so quickly. some of the other providers would do no such thing.

and no, i dont work for vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I got over charged by them in january by 190euro! the girl friendsmobile has an 085 prefix but it is a ready to go customer. They identified her mobile in their billing register as another network and charged me for ringing another network number. Fast forward 3 months later they eventually credit me.

Just looked on line as well this month and I was abroad for most of it working. Im being charged for a 0second duration calls for 24c a pop. Looks like I have to ring customer support again.

oh and due to me being on to them so often I now ring the roaming customer support number its a lot faster than being put into the call queue. Probably because they incurr additional call charges as its a free call for a roaming customer :D

well, I'm not alone it seems - but here the posters all think o2, 3 , Voda and meteor are all saints!

Wow - Gosh, I'm gratefull, i got a credit (drop to my knees and praise and repent)

ohhhh, and "charges don't mysteriously appear on bills" - Board Om , you're a bit wet behind the ears there in that thinking. The banks love people like you.........Nogoodnamesleft was overcharged all over the place.........and i'd say he's a tip of the iceberg.

BTW - when did you last check your bank statements?

so when i called them and challenged the rep on the phone about it - she credited them to my a/c straight away............in fact, all to quickly!

i smell a rat.:confused: Check your Bills!
    SDoom,

A mistake was made - ok , vodafone fixed it - its their duty to do so if they are in the wrong........

you are trying to turn this into an issue...........I'm meerly tipping of fellow boardsies about the overcharging on my vodafone bill as it could affect them. Its a comsumer issue post on a comsumer issue forum? Gezzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Something going wrong and being fixed instantly is not a consumer issue though is it?

You're not merely "tipping people off", you're making a conspiracy of a simple act of mis pricing (which they might not have even commited, as has been pointed out several times.)

I'll be the first to hand out advice from my experience when its needed- but there's nothing wrong here.

SDooM wrote: »
    Something going wrong and being fixed instantly is not a consumer issue though is it?

You're not merely "tipping people off", you're making a conspiracy of a simple act of mis pricing (which they might not have even commited, as has been pointed out several times.)

I'll be the first to hand out advice from my experience when its needed- but there's nothing wrong here.

UTTER, UTTER RUBBISH........you're clearly one of these posters that hates to be challenged or wrong.

well, I'm not alone it seems - but here the posters all think o2, 3 , Voda and meteor are all saints!

Wow - Gosh, I'm gratefull, i got a credit (drop to my knees and praise and repent)

ohhhh, and "charges don't mysteriously appear on bills" - Board Om , you're a bit wet behind the ears there in that thinking. The banks love people like you.........Nogoodnamesleft was overcharged all over the place.........and i'd say he's a tip of the iceberg.

BTW - when did you last check your bank statements?

listen buddy, i am far from wet behind the ears. i just dont like to listen people shouting RIP OFF when it is nothing of the sort. people like you just annoy me with you rubbish. you 'think' you were overcharged for a text message, you called customer care and they credited you. case closed, no RIP OFF, nothing of the sort. it is actually a very good example of a good customer care service. there was a problem and they resolved it. in my opinion a lot of companies could learn from that.

and nogoodnamesleft wasnt 'over charged all over the place'. more rubbish. he mentioned 2 cases, and in the first case he could actually explain himself what the issue was, the system wasnt recognizing an 085 number as the same network. perfectly understandable. again he called them and they resolved it. he now has a second issue where he is being charged while roaming. now roaming is expensive and the charges can sometimes have a lot to do with the network in the country you are in at the time. also i find with roaming that charges may appear online, but when the actual bill comes out it has been rectified. so it is probably best to wait until the actual bill comes to add up charges. if he is being 'RIPPED OFF' i am sure he will come back and tell us. but i seriously doubt it is anything like that. he seems like a level headed person who recognises an error when he sees it and excepts that these things happen. unlike you who is making a big deal about nothing.

bottom line, if youi dont like the service, change network.

More UTTER RUBBISH!
    You don't like being challenged ehhhhhhhhhhhh, like the board to hail you ehhhhhh, not here......not here

ohhhh, and and i'm not your buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

craichoe wrote: »
    I don't think you can really tell the difference, Video and Picture use the same MMS encapsulation.

actually depending on the MMSC the operator can determine if the message sent is ,text, audio, image, or video or text&sound, text&image, text&video...

UTTER, UTTER RUBBISH........you're clearly one of these posters that hates to be challenged or wrong.

You are correct. For me the internet is serious business.

Never forget.

yawnnnnnnnn

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

yawnnnnnnnn

listen mate you need to chill out. you were (possibly*) charged wrongly and when you called the problem was rectified instantly. you should be posting about what great customer service you received, not that "you can smell a rat".

try deal with the 3 network who have failed to fix technical problems on people's accounts for the last 8 months.

or ntl who failed to show up to my house to install a new point but went ahead and charged me for the call out anyway. then 6 months and dozens of calls later some idiot credited back 80 of the 100 incorrectly charged and then the next month a bloke came to the house to cut us off for being in arrears. they come out quick enough when you owe them money.

the above are examples of bad customer service. you had a problem solved instantly. you should be thanking them

*i say possibly because 57c is 69c ex vat so it looks like you were correctly charged for a picture message of over 100 kb
    edit:here's the link to the prices:http://www.vodafone.ie/vlive/multimedia/
    what size was the video you sent?
    i'm getting the feeling you owe vodafone an apology :pac:

More UTTER RUBBISH!
    You don't like being challenged ehhhhhhhhhhhh, like the board to hail you ehhhhhh, not here......not here

ohhhh, and and i'm not your buddy.

it seems you are the only person here who has a problem being challenged. so far you have very chilidishly attacked with stupid comments every person that has offered any kind of reasonable explanation for your 'over charging' or anyone who has pointed out that the customer service you received was actually quite good. basically you have come on here shouting 'RIP OFF' and you have failed to show any evidence of the said 'rip off'. in fact you have actually only proven what a good customer service you actually received. and your retaliation to being challenged has been to make stupid remarks like accusing all of us of working for vodafone, calling me wet behind the ears, saying everything anyone else said that didnt agree with you was 'utter rubbish', and finally to 'yawn' at us. all i can say is grow up, and if you are going to try and have an argument, then at least make it an intellignet argument with logical comments based on hard facts. not just stupid noises and explanation marks. if you cant play nice then you should stay in the shallow end of the pool with the other children.

Axer.........what? Praise them for overcharging me?
    Praise them for their great customer service - they refunded you instantly.
    Have never worked for a phone company.

I cannot stand when people shout "rip off" and blast a company straight away without checking first.

I am an advocate for consumer rights and will always help someone fight their case when rights have been broken but it has to work both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

jon1981 wrote: »
    actually depending on the MMSC the operator can determine if the message sent is ,text, audio, image, or video or text&sound, text&image, text&video...

Nah, i've used MMSC interfaces, you can encapsulate whatever you want in the meta data, providers dont care what it actually is, they just want to charge your for it. You could send an (expensive) 400mb file over MMS if you liked, but the content would be meaningless to the operator.

You could do it i guess.. but the overhead would be too much to warrant the reward.

I dont get the OP's issue though, he rang and got his issue resolved instantly ? ... that would seem like good customer service to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Customer Services were more than happy to sort out the issue, so I don't see that as a problem.

In fact it is no different to when I was in SuperValu one day, and they had a sign with the price, saying same as Tescoes etc. When I got to the checkout, it was more than was on the board, so I pointed this out to them. They went and checked and gave me the washing powder for the price on the board. No big deal.

Mistakes do happen, and a problem would have been there if Vodafone had decided not to refund you, but the fact of the matter they did what you asked of them, so no problem there IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To all posters, please do not resurrect this argument.

dudara

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    To all posters, please do not resurrect this argument.

dudara

I'm entitled to my opinion - full stop.
    and Fullstop to this thread too.
    Mod, please lock this thread - ppl here have agenda's,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement