Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did your man propose?

Options
  • 22-05-2008 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I was driving in on the M1 this morning and I saw this guy on one of the flyover bridges putting up a big banner with 'Jean, Will You Marry Me' on it. I can just imagine Jean nearly crashing the car when she sees it on her way to work... But what a proposal, I thought it was cute.

I practially had to force my BF down on one knee in the kitchen even though I knew he had bought the ring, he thought it was a silly idea. If its going to be done once I think it should be done properly.

How did your other half propose, are there any nice stories out there? As I guess I felt a little jealous of Jean this morning, as its a nice story to tell the kids :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Aww thats so cute.

My story? I havent got one. Fricken single.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

That is very cute, aww....yet to be proposed to but it better be romantic or it's a big fat no! (Joking obviously) Cheesetastic but if it involved something along the lines of that que card scene in Love Actually I'll iron his shirts for at least a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

about 4 months before we started going out, i told him about a drink some friends figured out at the end of some houseparty... lemonson jime (fizzy lemon, jameson, jack daniels, fizzy lime), he said cool, have to try that one out some time... at his sister's birthday a month later, he did, and got fantastically drunk off it, and thought it was awesome, and logged onto his sister's laptop and asked me to marry him :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

At midnight at on the millennium eve. Not quite on one knee, and he never even asked, officially. Just handed me a ring box, grinned, and waited for the penny to drop. Twas in the middle of a millennium party which made celebrating easy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

It was a freezing cold november "monday" night. I was on my way home from work when I got a phone call from the oh to meet him on the beach near where we live...

I got down to the beach and he was there his car parked up on the sand headlights on, Him standing in front of it in his suit with a bottle of champagne and two glasses on the ground beside him..

Well I parked my car on the boat run and walked down to him... He got down on one knee and started reading this lovely message that he had written me off a card. He took out the ring and when he asked I said yes of course. The two of us were in a fit of giggles....

He opened the champagne and we got into his car and I was ringing my mam and sisters and we were still laughing, We were planning on going for a drink to celebrate as he had organised a baby sitter.

I got back to my car and drove off, All the time he was flashing his lights at me, I had only got up the road and he rang me, He was stuck in the sand....

Well we had some laugh, I was driving a coupe so there was no way I was going to pull him out. The tide was on its way in as well. By the time I got down to the beach the oh was trying to dig the sand out from under his tires.

I rang one of my neighbours, who got his mate who had a jeep to come down and tow us out. Then we all went to the pub and had a few pints.

It was a very memorable night. Nothing every runs smoothly for Mr Quality and I... we are a disaster together..

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Quality, that is a classic story! I love it! Brilliant! Its so human.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Quality wrote: »
    It was a freezing cold november "monday" night. I was on my way home from work when I got a phone call from the oh to meet him on the beach near where we live...

I got down to the beach and he was there his car parked up on the sand headlights on, Him standing in front of it in his suit with a bottle of champagne and two glasses on the ground beside him..

Well I parked my car on the boat run and walked down to him... He got down on one knee and started reading this lovely message that he had written me off a card. He took out the ring and when he asked I said yes of course. The two of us were in a fit of giggles....

He opened the champagne and we got into his car and I was ringing my mam and sisters and we were still laughing, We were planning on going for a drink to celebrate as he had organised a baby sitter.

I got back to my car and drove off, All the time he was flashing his lights at me, I had only got up the road and he rang me, He was stuck in the sand....

Well we had some laugh, I was driving a coupe so there was no way I was going to pull him out. The tide was on its way in as well. By the time I got down to the beach the oh was trying to dig the sand out from under his tires.

I rang one of my neighbours, who got his mate who had a jeep to come down and tow us out. Then we all went to the pub and had a few pints.

It was a very memorable night. Nothing every runs smoothly for Mr Quality and I... we are a disaster together..

aw thats such a lovely story :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

about 4 months before we started going out, i told him about a drink some friends figured out at the end of some houseparty... lemonson jime (fizzy lemon, jameson, jack daniels, fizzy lime), he said cool, have to try that one out some time... at his sister's birthday a month later, he did, and got fantastically drunk off it, and thought it was awesome, and logged onto his sister's laptop and asked me to marry him :D
    Classy guy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Hope Jean didn't crash on the way to work.

And what about all the other Jeans that were on the M1 - must have been a shock!

Thats magic Quality. :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

UB wrote: »
    Hope Jean didn't crash on the way to work.

And what about all the other Jeans that were on the M1 - must have been a shock!
    Was it at least signed to stop any confusion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭kelly1979

Quality that is such a cute story!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

does talking about how he would propose count? he said hed probably do it on the beach or up a mountain (a particular beach and mountain weve visited early in our relationship). if it happens it wont be for a good while yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

A friend of mine always said that if she was going to get engaged her husband to be would have to propose to her in an Officer and a gentleman type suit.

So we were flying out on a girlie weekend there last March and in arrived her boyfriend into the airport and got down on one knee in front of the queue outside the bureau de change in the airport.

Now that was hilarious. I honestly thought I was going to wet myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

It was a Friday night, we were both estatic following the ingestion of a certain substance the initials of which would be MDMA. He went into the bathroom.

After a while i followed to make sure he was okay as he had been gone a while. he said he was fine, he was just chilling out so I left him to it. Soon after he came back into the sitting room, came over to me and got down on one knee.

Using my name in its entirety he asked me to marry him and I said "yes". I can't wait to tell our grandkids one day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

My boyfriend told me when he was drunk where he was going to ask me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Defenestrate

I reckon the whole proposing thing sounds like great craic. Not sure about the bit that comes after mind, maybe in another decade or so. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭scoot on

I love my bf to bits. We've been together 7 years, known each other even longer but I'd have to drag him into a jewellers, pick out the ring, and tell him to get down on one knee before I'd get a proposal i'd say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Repeatedly for 12 twelve years. It was a long, drawn-out, painful process.

Thennn I said ok. Whoever said romance was dead? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,144 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

That was in today paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

A Sunday morning. We built a fort* in the living room out of couch cushions, pillows and duvets. We settled into the fort to watch DVDs, and he said "One sec, forgot something" and came back with a bottle of champagne, a punnet of strawberries and a wedding band (so I could pick my own engagement ring).

*if you haven't built a fort lately, build a fort.

How romantic. Proposal in a fort.. :pac:
    That was in today paper

How did your man propose? or Romance is dead? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

^ nice!

i built a fort last january while house sitting for himself's brother, and enjoying his particularly large couch cushions. that *would* be an awesome place to be proposed to!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Abigayle wrote: »
    Repeatedly for 12 twelve years. It was a long, drawn-out, painful process.

Thennn I said ok. Whoever said romance was dead? :pac:
    For me it was 9 years, including 2 failed attempts at getting married, we were about to split up for good when he had to go away for 2 weeks for his brothers wedding in India (our longest time apart)...he proposed when my brother and I collected him in the airport and we were married 3 months later...still deleriously in love with him and not over the honeymoon yet!

I hope you don't mind me asking. Ignore me if you do.
    But what went wrong with the failed attempts?

A Sunday morning. We built a fort* in the living room out of couch cushions, pillows and duvets. We settled into the fort to watch DVDs, and he said "One sec, forgot something" and came back with a bottle of champagne, a punnet of strawberries and a wedding band (so I could pick my own engagement ring).

*if you haven't built a fort lately, build a fort.

Thats so sweet!

Do you build forts often??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind me asking. Ignore me if you do.
    But what went wrong with the failed attempts?
    The first time, I just did not plan it and was scared of getting married, the second time he pulled out 3 weeks before hand as he felt that I was not serious about marriage...I know, there is a pattern! We used to row the whole time as I was so negative about getting married, now we are married we hardly ever row and I am the happiest I have ever been. I think that I was a permanent commtment phobe!

I can see how happy you are. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How did my man propose? Let's see... oh wait! He didn't! Could you not have called this thread "Married/engaged gals: how did your man propose?" It's a tad exclusionary...

• Advertisement

CathyMoran wrote: »
    For me it was 9 years, including 2 failed attempts at getting married, we were about to split up for good when he had to go away for 2 weeks for his brothers wedding in India (our longest time apart)...he proposed when my brother and I collected him in the airport and we were married 3 months later...still deleriously in love with him and not over the honeymoon yet!

Lovely story tbh. But you know, if thats what it takes to work things out so be it. We've had our arugments, little breaks apart etc. I have to admit, the splits were instigated by me. It was the difference in our personalities that caused most of my doubt. Hes not particularly driven and that bugged me a lot. But its taken me this long to realise you embrace their plus sides aswell as their negative sides or it will never work out.

We met quite young, so we had a lot of growing up to do tbh. If you can survive that, then you've a good solid foundation there imo.

I've always really known that I would hate to be without him, but I compared our relationship with others we knew. Saw how well they seem to get on, and how alike they were in opinions - that made me think we could never work.

But there is no 'norm'. Every relationship differs from others, but there are must haves all of them. Love being the obvious one..
    • Good solid friendship
    • Ability to make each other laugh
    • Respect for one another
    • Trust in one another
    • Care for one another
    • Communicate with each other

I think that when you dont make time for the above, thinks start to fray a bit round the edges :/

Advertisement