Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launch party: Volvo Ocean Race - Galway Bay Hotel

Options
  • 22-05-2008 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else at it? Free wine = drunk me :D

Good times. They showed a 3d animation of what the docks will look like - if they pull it off it'll be amazing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

When is it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I think it's over...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It was last night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I saw all the boats out in the bay last night, very impressive. I hope I'm still in Galway next year to watch the race come in.

cornbb wrote: »
    I saw all the boats out in the bay last night, very impressive. I hope I'm still in Galway next year to watch the race come in.

They're only a dot in the ocean compared to the Volvo open 70's (no pun intended!)

It's gonna be a cracking 12 days in Galway, gonna make sure my boat is on the sea, yar!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

What boats are in the bay at the moment? Are they still there?

I saw the pictures in the advertiser today though.

What boats are in the bay at the moment? Are they still there?

I saw the pictures in the advertiser today though.

Didnt think of looking yesterday, the wine was nice inside and it was cold outside :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Do they genuinely think they can get the docks to look like that in 12months? With the track record in Galway they cant be too confident can they?

Webbs wrote: »
    Do they genuinely think they can get the docks to look like that in 12months? With the track record in Galway they cant be too confident can they?

Was talkign to an engineer at it. He said once they have the planning the buildings will be up in no time - it's all pre-fabricated stuff. Getting rid of the oil tanks is qhat I question

Let's be honest - There's a lot of money involved here, and money talks. I reckon it'll get done

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I hope that the launch was a bit more informative than the speech Enda Kinneen was supposed to give in the Meyrick a few weeks ago. He was an absolute disgrace. His so-called speech was 43 minutes of my life I'm never going to get back. And not a fact about the race or what help they need from the people of Galway (which was what he was supposed to talk about) within earshot.

As a result of him and his speech, I know a lot of people who were invited to the Galway Bay who didn't go.

Looking forward to seeing the boats coming into Galway though.

• Advertisement

John Kileen only gave a quick 5 min speech - The rest of the speeches were from Volvo rep's giving factual info

The rest involved drinking as much wine as I could handle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'm sorry I missed it so; I'd love to know more about what's going to be happening. When/where are they opening their offices?

Fey! wrote: »
    I'm sorry I missed it so; I'd love to know more about what's going to be happening. When/where are they opening their offices?

Not too sure - They were mainly talking about work to be done around the docks. I don't know about official offices but the marketing company handling it so far can be contacted. Don't know their name though, only know the person running it and dont want to be giving out names over the net. If I hear anything worthy i'll post it up here

Was it an open invitation or what? I got invitations sent to me so didn't know what the story was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭scary_tractors

Fey! wrote: »

The office is open, it's in the Eyre Square centre, it's called 'lets do it galway'. one of the papers, Galway Indo I think, had a big supplement on it on Wednesday. probably online.

There are going to be so many people in Galway for it next year, can't wait. I don't even sail but I know a lot of people who do and this event sounds mental altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Not too sure - They were mainly talking about work to be done around the docks. I don't know about official offices but the marketing company handling it so far can be contacted. Don't know their name though, only know the person running it and dont want to be giving out names over the net. If I hear anything worthy i'll post it up here

Was it an open invitation or what? I got invitations sent to me so didn't know what the story was there.

Launches like that are usually just press and people involved in the relevant sector. I got invited too but couldn't make it. Free drink, argh!

Zzippy wrote: »
    Launches like that are usually just press and people involved in the relevant sector. I got invited too but couldn't make it. Free drink, argh!

This wasn't the press launch - That was on in the Radisson the same morning.

This was more like a 'fun launch' - Lots of music, laughter, sh1te talk and booze. The room was full of local businessmen/millionaires/councillers etc... Oh and HECTORRRRRR was the host. Holy crap i've never wanted to throw a rock at someone more in my life. wtf was I doing there?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    This wasn't the press launch - That was on in the Radisson the same morning.

This was more like a 'fun launch' - Lots of music, laughter, sh1te talk and booze. The room was full of local businessmen/millionaires/councillers etc... Oh and HECTORRRRRR was the host. Holy crap i've never wanted to throw a rock at someone more in my life. wtf was I doing there?? :confused:

Umm, the free drink? :p

+1 on Hector!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement