Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Coffee Beans and where to buy?

• 22-05-2008 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Ok I now have my brand new Gaggia Classic and am picking up a Rancillio Rocky grinder hopfully today so now its on to the next stage. Getting some good coffee beans. I don`t know what beans to get nor where to get them. Preferably somewhere I can walk into as I would like to try this out ASAP so was thinking of going to Starbucks.

Can people may suggest what they coffee they would recommend and where to buy.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Don't buy Starbucks, they're not good beans. There's far better out there available. Where abouts are you? Are you in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭BlueMonke

Hi Mr Magnolia,

I am living in Clondalkin and work right beside the square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

If you are getting Starbucks beans, check the date on the bag. You want them roasted in the last month really.

Ariosa in temple bar market on a Saturday morning is probably the best commercially available recently roasted beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Ariosa in temple bar market on a Saturday morning is probably the best commercially available recently roasted beans.

M&D's stuff is lovely too. They also do delivery by post. I haven't used the service yet, but probably will soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

has anyone tried the Bald Barista's "Fixx" blend?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Ristretto had a turnaround of 2-3 working days from order to delivery (Dublin)
    when I used them in the past for ordering freshly roasted beans.

Hasbean also deliver in 4-5 working days in my experience.

My advice is stick in an order with either of the above today
    and grab whatever you can locally - even if it's just Java Republic/Illy
    in your supermarket.

You'll find any freshly ground beans an improvement on buying
    preground and you'll most likely waste beans setting up and getting
    used to your new equipment. The beans from Ristretto or Hasbean
    will arrive early next week (this Monday is a bank holiday in UK).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Slaphead07 wrote: »

I can only speak for the ground, but I found it really nice, it's one of my faves. nearly up there with the Cuban :eek: Well worth a try any way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

M & D's stuff can be very stale, and they can't usually tell you when it was roasted so you have to suck it and see.

Ariosa +1

Ristretto +2 - and such good people to deal with.

Don't forget about Bewleys - the Grafton St branch does seriously fresh & surprisingly good blends - don't judge their beans by the muck they serve in cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

For a quick fix, the M&S Fairtrade beans are good, and very good value.

I'll answer my own question now.... bought some at the weekend and it's lovely, a bit strong but that can be ajusted. Highly recommended. http://www.thebaldbarista.com/

• Advertisement

Glad to see another convert! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'll answer my own question now.... bought some at the weekend and it's lovely, a bit strong but that can be ajusted. Highly recommended. http://www.thebaldbarista.com/

Looking at his site it appears he's getting the beans from Cafe de Cuba on Thomas St.
    You might get better prices buying direct.

It's actually a blend. You can buy it online at http://www.coffeebeans.ie/coffee-of-the-month-page.html
    But with postage etc. it works out cheaper in the shop i think.

yep, he's quite open about it being a blend. I get the impression that it's his blend..... and why not?
    There's a serious buzz off it btw, sitting outside in the sun with a mate yesterday morning we both commented on the caffine kick. Actually for our second (or possibly third) cup we opted for an Americano.

It's actually a blend. You can buy it online at http://www.coffeebeans.ie/coffee-of-the-month-page.html
    But with postage etc. it works out cheaper in the shop i think.

In the shop it's €25 a kilo or €8 for the 250g bag. Buying the kg essentially means you get a 1/4 free.

yep, he's quite open about it being a blend. I get the impression that it's his blend..... and why not?
    There's a serious buzz off it btw, sitting outside in the sun with a mate yesterday morning we both commented on the caffine kick. Actually for our second (or possibly third) cup we opted for an Americano.

Well he is called buzz! But yeah he once told me he spent like ten years or so perfecting the blend. Kudos :)

Advertisement