Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reattaching 2 shower tiles

Options
  • 22-05-2008 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

I have 2 loose shower tiles but the rest are fine and the backing board
    seems fine.

I want to just do a quick fix, just wondering what equipment I'd need to reattach.
    Any recommendations on what tile adhesive and grout I'd need would
    be helpful.

Absolutely useless at DIY so please put advice like an idiots guide.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 chipclub

There are many types of tile adhesive and grout but you can't go wrong if you read the label. Don't, for example, buy adhesive that says "For Tiling on Wooden Floors" in big letters on the front.

You want waterproof adhesive for tiling on walls. It will be clearly marked if you read it and will say something along the lines of "suitable for showers". You can get little tubs of this stuff in a shop like Woodies that will do for a couple of tiles.

Same with the grout. Just read the label and make sure it says suitable for showers.

There is no need to get any specific equipment for just two tiles. Spread the adhesive on the back of the tile with a paint scraper or similar and press the tile in place. You might even get a wee plastic spreader with the adhesive.

For the grout, bung it in, smooth with your finger and wipe of the excess. Not the ideal way but for two tiles there will be no problem!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Stryker

Thanks Chipclub, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Don't forget to do your best to remove existing adhesive from the back of the tile or the wall. Be VERY careful if doing the wall though no to loosen any more tiles.

If you don't do this the tiles may sit out a bit more than the other ones. Also you will need to tear up some paper or cardboard to allow you to "space" the tiles correctly in relation to the other tiles when you are putting them back on. You can but spacers but its not worth the trouble for 2 tiles.

I would guess your best bet is to apply the adhesive to the back of the tiles and fix them to the wall again. Use bits of matches, cardboard or whatever to space the tiles correctly. Allow the adhesive to set, say 6 hours or something, then you should be able to carefully remove the spacers and apply the grout using a plastic spreader or your fingers, smooth off, then wipe over with a damp (not wet) cloth. Leave for 24 hours before you shower..... No disco for you this weekend ;)

Baud.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 hsebldMO

This is off topic, just wondering how the build is coming on Bauderline? Have been checking on website but no update since March!

Rgds, A

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Thanks for asking !

The build is going well, basement and ground floor complete, first floor slabs and screed went down on Monday. The first floor walls start this Monday !

I have a good few photos which I will upload during the next two weeks to the blog, keep an eye on it after the first week June you will see a good few updates then.... just been very busy between build, work, and small children !

baud.

• Advertisement
Advertisement