Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam pens

• 22-05-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

So as we all know the Leaving Cert involves a lot of writing.

I've found that after an exam like English which involves a lot of writing, my hand is in bits and it makes the next exam harder.

For the mocks I used those bic biros. You know the ones. But they're not the best.

So has anyone got a preference when it comes to pens?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

The inky kind, with rubber grips. I think the ones i have are called "impact"

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Fuascailt wrote: »
    The inky kind, with rubber grips.
    YES.

*adds to shopping list*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Bic cristal medium black. ¬.¬ But yeah, those black biros. When they're almost wasted they get really dark and inky, that's the best time for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Anyone use the papermate stick 2020 pens? Light as a feather on the hand. I got a pack of 50 of them for 2 euro last year in reads, Cork ( unfortunately reads has closed:( )

Is Reads still up in Dublin?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If you're at a stage where all you have to worry about is what pen to use, then well done!

Anywho, regular Bic biros usually do the job for me. I only ever seem to get problems with red ones, they seem to clog up more easily.
    I would recommend strongly against bargain packs of pens (ie bulk-bought in discount shops). I tried using those for my Pre exams last year and it was a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I swear by the multi coloured pens, the ones made in France.

The blue biro runs out fairly quickly and they are dear(€3) but I'm addicted to them :eek:

I hate the ink pens!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm left handed and my page is just one big smudge after writing a few lines with one of them.

Bonus points for Left Handers, We want Change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Is Reads still up in Dublin?
    Yes, it is, and it's recently expanded.

I use Bic Atlantis pens during exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

Bic Velocity Black.................there really is no other pen like it!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Just the normal bic ones...can't use anything else! For some odd reason, the green ones write nicest, obviously you can't write your whole exam in green. It's such a pity!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

There's a pen I like, PilotG-207, it writes very dark and sorta has the look of an inky pen, but it doesn't smudge hich is brilliant for me cos I'm left handed.

Only trouble is it tend to run out quite quickly and when it does it's a bitch to write with as it tend to stick and you'll spend five minutes trying to write out a sentence!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The Papermate ones, http://www.mypencil.com/mall/pap95801.jpg

Not nearly as sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

The Papermate ones, http://www.mypencil.com/mall/pap95801.jpg

Not nearly as sore.
    Them's a good pen.

What about penisland.net pens? "The best pens on the internet!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

Oh thank god I'm aloud type!

But seriously, pens etc. are like the least of my worries right now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

shazpunk wrote: »
    Oh thank god I'm aloud type!
    Lucky!
    I type so much faster than I write. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

I like the one's that start with an "s" can't remember the name but the green one is a really nice one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭shazpunk

Lucky!
    I type so much faster than I write. :(

Lol I know! I typed for my JC too and was finished SOO much earlyer than everyone else, and came out with A's :)

Ive a feeling the same wont happen this time though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Bic Atlantis are excellent. Easy to read too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 swimfan22

I use fountain pens when I write. Find them easier to use, they help my writing "flow" better. Got one when I was away made by this Spanish company, Inoxcrom, and I love it! Only thing is, you have to keep refilling it with ink cartridges, not the best when you're scribbling in exams! And not ideal for lefties cos the ink can smudge. But I love 'em! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

Staedler! Blue, black and red two of each: suits all exams.
    They flow, never clog, they're a light colour(make my examiner feel at ease)
    I adore them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

I regular-black-Bic-pen it up...I've heard it's meant to help hand cramps to have one thick pen and one thin pen to alternate between during the longer exams. Dunno how true it is, but I figured I'd throw it out there! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Staedler! Blue, black and red two of each: suits all exams.
    They flow, never clog, they're a light colour(make my examiner feel at ease)
    I adore them :)

+1:D. A class pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

declan_lgs wrote: »
    Them's a good pen.

What about penisland.net pens? "The best pens on the internet!"

Friend of mine checked out that website.

It wasn't at all like he expected!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

I'm a Staedtler fan. I really like the ink. They write much smoother than bic, imo.

Are those Papermate pens inky? I'm a leftie too.

Anyone who is commenting on people discussing pens, please wake up. It's essential that you're using a pen which you're comfortable with and looks decent on the page. As the cliché goes, it may be the difference between an A2 and a B1 etc. etc.

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    +1:D. A class pen.

Staedtler never fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Bics are crap. I use zebra gels, they make writing fun.

ND538310_sk_lg.jpg

I just bought four of these. They are very comfortable and light. The ink isn't that nice though, Staedtler ink is just excellent. But as long as they're comfortable, that's all that matters really.

Cheers for the tip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

GM%20Pictures%20050.jpg

cant beat staedtler, cheapy cheap, maybe i should get those rubber grips 4 em though.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Bizzi Lizzy

heard on the radio today - instead of putting the pen between your index finger and your thumb you should put it between your index finger and your middle finger and then it won't hurt - don't know if this is true because I haven't tried it but maybe it's worth a go. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I've never bought a pen in my life.....

Usually use a clicky pen I get free somewhere. Did for my LC.

Advertisement