Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam pens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

heard on the radio today - instead of putting the pen between your index finger and your thumb you should put it between your index finger and your middle finger and then it won't hurt - don't know if this is true because I haven't tried it but maybe it's worth a go. :)
    Now is not a good time to re-learn how to write, I should think.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

shazpunk wrote: »
    Oh thank god I'm aloud type!

But seriously, pens etc. are like the least of my worries right now....

I'm really hoping you are also "aloud" use a dictionary... :confused:;)

Gel Pens are easily the best.. and most come with the rubber grips... I like the Pilot Pens... G2 or variations thereof are my favourite... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SQDD

Staedtler all the way, nothing beats German efficiency, altho seriously if your content is $hit no pen is going to save you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

heard on the radio today - instead of putting the pen between your index finger and your thumb you should put it between your index finger and your middle finger and then it won't hurt - don't know if this is true because I haven't tried it but maybe it's worth a go. :)
    Gave it a go.. my handwriting is pretty much the same.. bit messier because I can't rest my hand on the page like that.. but I've got a bump on the finger where I normally rest my pen, so it's more comfortable on that finger. Everyone writes a bit differently anyway, if you watch people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

All through my JC I used these pens that had rubbers on top. they saved my life! Cant remember the name but they were light brown and skinny with a little rubber on top. I tend to write before I think and so my work (especially in english) tends to be messy. Also if you forget to add something or realise somethingsa wrong at the end you can fix it and its just easier and neater. The only thing is they run out really fast, I went through like 12 in the 2 weeks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

Thats how I write normally, and it makes no difference whatsover!! Still dying after the exam :( plus i have a perma-welt on my middle finger that people who write the normal way don't! Stick to what your used to ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

shazpunk wrote: »
    Oh thank god I'm aloud type!

But seriously, pens etc. are like the least of my worries right now....

How did u get to be allowed to type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Nato!

Bic 4 in 1 is the man for any job

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaz d

they those massive blue things!
    Not a chance,
    i use the normal bic's with a gripper thing to stop it wrecking my fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Nato!

i have been using them for ages and there the only pens i have been able to keep until they waste

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

So which is better? Blue or Black pens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

lovechem wrote: »
    Thats how I write normally, and it makes no difference whatsover!! Still dying after the exam :( plus i have a perma-welt on my middle finger that people who write the normal way don't! Stick to what your used to ;)

I thought I wrote the normal way, but I get that on my middle finger too! I'll have to try the "normal" way sometime!

As for blue versus black, I always write with blue. I dunno, black always seems to make the page look very dirty or smudged...it's just personal preference though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

titan18 wrote: »

broken arm or something, or a medical condition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Blue for me but the Black came out alright in my History mock...

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

if you really want to do well in the leaving, write in red, or green. examiners love that! ;)
    blue is better because black doesn't stand out from the black lines in the page. So your work looks sorta boring. And black ink smudges alot more for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 DancingRainDrop

Here's a tip: don't use red or green :)

apparantly it will annoy examiners because the correcter corrects in red and then the surpervisor corrects in green
    so it might make your script look all over the place

highlighers work a treat though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

Blue is the best :D

Ya bout the highlighting, whats the deal with that? My religion teacher harps on about it all the time, but I thought it would annoy the examiners. Kinda like suggesting they're unable to pick out the key points/issues etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 DancingRainDrop

they're allowed but use them sparingly
    so don't go highlighter crazy
    just highlight key terms for subjects like biology home ec business economics
    i don't think they'd be great use for languages
    or even just highlight headings to give a bit of colour
    because i'm sure reading a script in the same colour pen would get annoying

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭-Els-

titan18 wrote: »
    You're allowed to type if you have Dyslexia or another learnign difficulty. The school cant just say you cna type though, an educational psychologist has to reccomend that it would benefit you. Its just like some people can have readers or scribes during exams.

Also, I was always told not to write in Red or green because it can be very difficult to read, particularly Green and Re dis the colour they use to correct so it'll annoy the examiner.
    I think your best bet is Black or Blue, personally I prefer black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

If i were and examiner and i seen a a mulitcoloured script i would be like hmm someone wasted time... wonderful decoration is not on the marking scheme... I'd agree blue for ev's... i'd use bullet points if your worried about layout :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 jah718

The Pilot Rexgrip is the best pen ever. I started using them back before my mocks and i never use any other pen. they are brilliant:D

p_pirg70lzz.jpg

I'm thinking of highlighting my answers in Maths, to make it easier for the superintendent because there'll be so many numbers on the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

MaltEagle wrote: »
    I'm thinking of highlighting my answers in Maths, to make it easier for the superintendent because there'll be so many numbers on the page.
    I find a double line underneath the final answer works just as well. In a different colour pen!

BTW these pens are full of epic - I used them for all of my exams in college this year, and my writing was better than normal and my hand not as sore as normal.
    http://www.caboodle.co.uk/NETCatProductPage.process?i=/318M%2F41/Ballpens/Stabilo&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1097&pcount=&Product_Id=196441

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nikkio237

K4t wrote: »

I hate the ink pens!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm left handed and my page is just one big smudge after writing a few lines with one of them.

Bonus points for Left Handers, We want Change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I have to say I agree. Thanks be to whatever deity is out there that I actually like biros, I'd be completely screwed without them! Stupid smudgy left-handed writing. Incidentally, does anyone else completely overprepare and bring in about three of each? :) I think I'm paranoid but I've run out way too often in the middle of exams to chance it with this one! I can't use grips, they drive my hands crazy. It's like one of those love 'em or hate 'em things.

rugbug86 wrote: »
    I find a double line underneath the final answer works just as well. In a different colour pen!

BTW these pens are full of epic - I used them for all of my exams in college this year, and my writing was better than normal and my hand not as sore as normal.
    http://www.caboodle.co.uk/NETCatProductPage.process?i=/318M%2F41/Ballpens/Stabilo&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1097&pcount=&Product_Id=196441

Oh really? Thanks for your advice. For the pre's, I put my answers in a red cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

MaltEagle wrote: »
    Oh really? Thanks for your advice. For the pre's, I put my answers in a red cloud.

Just put a red box around your final answers. Simple and nice looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

K4t wrote: »
    I swear by the multi coloured pens, the ones made in France.

The blue biro runs out fairly quickly and they are dear(€3) but I'm addicted to them :eek:
    The black always runs out on me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

Any one here thinking of using pencils, like for accountancy just?? or would they fade and mess up your figures???

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

Parker quink fountain pen ftw. Glides across the page :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

yummy91 wrote: »
    Any one here thinking of using pencils, like for accountancy just?? or would they fade and mess up your figures???

I use a H pencil for calculations in any subject: maths, applied maths, physics, chemistry. There's something discomforting about doing sums with a pen it feels wrong.

I've gotten conflicting opinions on whether I should or not though, some teachers say to do what ever you feel most comfortable with, and others say that it may get smudged...

Also this bad boy is all you need when it comes to pens, rubber grip, really fine line, nice steadtler ink, clicky top, the list is endless....:D

Advertisement