Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Galway?

Options
  • 22-05-2008 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

What's the best broadband in Galway city - price, simplicity, works with Mac, nice staff, reliability?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

which area of the city are you in? have NTL here in knocknacarra, when we first got it was dog muck, but it's been pretty decent over the past year, rarely have any contention issues or outages. but their customer service is horrendous. i hear they have a lot of problems elsewhere in the city though, especially Salthill and the centre of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

"Works with Mac"

lolz

Get Smart Broadband if you're near an enabled exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Smart? I thought they'd gone? No?

Centre city. Docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

No, they're still going, changed their business a little, but doing well.
    Ring them and they should be able to tell you over the phone.
    They're good broadband, you get what you pay for.
    Only bitch is Eircom and landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Same as leninbenjamin
    I have ntl in Renmore. First 6 months were a joke, but they have behaved themselves the last year. They are the cheapest ISP afaik

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 OneOfMars

ntl, Upper salthill, no problems to report.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

luckat wrote: »
    What's the best broadband in Galway city - price, simplicity, works with Mac, nice staff, reliability?

You're asking far too much of a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

I'm with NTL. They're pretty good, I have the internet, phone and TV included in one package. Don't see why you'd have a problem with mac, I'm using Linux and have no problems. I think it's hit or miss with whatever company you're with but personally ntl have been alright for me. Previous crap providers were Irish Broadband and BT, both of which were useless beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I'm on NTL in knocknacarra as well and its been excellent. It went down one Sunday evening for a couple of hours but other than that its been very good. You do have to jump through hoops to get to talk to a real person when you ring them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Don't use NTL - biggest bunch of muppets.
    Outages most of the time, very slow when/if it worked, useless customer 'service', unhelpful staff in general, and just a massive pain to deal with.

With Eircom now, and no problems (so far...)

• Advertisement

Hmm. It's clearly a your-mileage-may-vary question; I use IBB in Dublin, and have found them nice and helpful. At first they had some nonsense about not providing support on weekends and bank holidays, but that's over now.

The Mac thing - some providers' tech support staff whimper and cringe when they hear the word 'Mac'. I prefer to get my support from people who are techie enough to be comfortable with a variety of OSes, and mature enough not to cringe or bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

po0k wrote: »
    "Works with Mac"

lolz

Get Smart Broadband if you're near an enabled exchange.

i also have Smart broadband... never had a problem, and they are very quick to sort out any issues.. been with them 3 yrs and connection has never dropped :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

I have digiweb metro.... 35 euros for 6mb down 0.5mb up (upload could be better).

Most say best BB I've had. Of course you have to be able to put a small disk on your roof but if you can, it means no eircon 'line rental'!

By the same token, is there free wifi anywhere in Galway city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dosman

I find Digiweb Metro excellent tbh. Good customer service too.:)

Used to have NTL, but not as good a service imo.

Re NTL's customer service, I could write a book on how rubbish these eejits are. NTL wrongly deducting 3 years of premiums from my account, then months and months and more months of sheer incompetence in rectifying their mistake, accompanied by god knows how many broken promises...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I use Eircom but I find it hard to recommend them as it's not so much that the service is good but rather it's the least bad if you know what I mean :).

Advertisement