Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 147 problem

Options
  • 22-05-2008 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi all,

I’m having a problem with My Alfa 147 JTD 16v (surprise surprise!!) an error has popped up which reads ‘motor control system failure’ and the car has lost power and the engine is running rough, I’ve googled the problem and I’ve tried to reset the ECU but either I didn’t get it to reset or it made no difference. Has anyone come across this problem here?

Does anyone have an idea of a good garage that services alfas or a good diesel/ electronic mechanic close to Navan? I’m probably going to leave it into Michael Barrable Motors in Swords I was just looking for alternatives.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

It may be the MAF (air flow meter) that is the problem, it can cause rough idle, loss of power, poor fuel consumption etc..
    Gerry Campbell Ti Autos, he's highly rated,
    Gerry Campbell, TI autos, Cowper street, Dublin 01 8386567

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bretttp1

Thanks Hotwheels, I've seen the MAF mentioned on a couple of sites too are these easy to change yourself? where is it located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

bretttp1 wrote: »
    Thanks Hotwheels, I've seen the MAF mentioned on a couple of sites too are these easy to change yourself? where is it located?

I assume you know of:

www.alfaowner.com/forum

All the info you will ever need to know about your 147 ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

as others said thats defo your MAF thats the problem (rough idle , loss of power and dash light coming up) . they are easy enough to clean which might be worth a try otherwise your looking at about €70 for a new bosch one

Just an update on this issue, The MAF was replaced but the reason it failed was that the turbo is leaking oil and this destroyed the MAF (apparently), I now need a new turbo :eek:

These are mighty expensive parts from Alfa (even reconditioned ones) is there anywhere in Ireland that reconditions turbos? Or do I have to go to ordering one from the UK, like this company?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

We should put an Alfa problems thread in the stickys:pac::D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

groooan , because other marques don't suffer from just as many problems.

Anyways to the OP, AFAIK if you need a new turbo it's gonna cost you regardless of where you source it. Best bet would be to give Gerry in TI Autos a buzz he might be able to source you a "slightly" cheaper one.

miju wrote: »
    give Gerry in TI Autos a buzz he might be able to source you a "slightly" cheaper one.

Thanks miju, I'll give Gerry a call, he seems to know his stuff going by the ammount of mentions he gets here!

But does anyone else here know who are the agents for Garrett turbos here in Ireland, or even if there is one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭want2play

We should put an Alfa problems thread in the stickys:pac::D

Or a "Im just another idiot who knows nothing about Alfa's but they're cr@p" sticky.

want2play wrote: »
    Or a "Im just another idiot who knows nothing about Alfa's but they're cr@p" sticky.

I have owned 2 alfas and would not reccomend one to anyone, now come back to me with a reply when you know a bit about them;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Do I need to spell it out? Do I? :D

Spell what?:pac:

OP, there is a good auto electrician half way up Flower Hill just before the garage on the left, he sorted out some PROBLEMS i had on my ALFA'S a few years back;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Spell what?:pac:

OP, there is a good auto electrician half way up Flower Hill just before the garage on the left, he sorted out some PROBLEMS i had on my ALFA'S a few years back;)

What an idiotic reply.
    Question : Does anyone else here know who are the agents for Garrett turbos here in Ireland?

Answer offered : Alfa's are crap and I know a good auto electrician.

Biro wrote: »
    What an idiotic reply.
    Question : Does anyone else here know who are the agents for Garrett turbos here in Ireland?

Answer offered : Alfa's are crap and I know a good auto electrician.
    Does anyone have an idea of a good garage that services alfas or a good diesel/ electronic mechanic close to Navan?

Its in the OP
    Now who feels like an idiot,
    you gotta love Boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Its in the OP
    Now who feels like an idiot,
    you gotta love Boards

Well I don't anyway, that's for sure! Can you read? Things have progressed in this thread. You remember progression? I hope you're not a teacher! I can imagine you answering a question at the end of the term that was asked in the beginning! Quite useless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Black velvit

Biro got owned:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

handbags.jpg

closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement