Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ram for overclocking e8400

Options
  • 22-05-2008 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

ive just ordered a new e8400 wolfdale cpu. im upgraing my motherboard aswell i decided on the ASUS P5K Premium/WiFi-AP. which i here is a great overclocker.

ok so i want to get this chip at 4ghz.

the thing is im confused over the ram. at the moment i have 4 gig of these
    (4x1)
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=312054

will these be enough ?

or should invest in some pc2-8500 and if so which from this page would you guys recommend. im going to be buying from memoryc.com because the accept laser.
    http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr2ram.html?Capacity=4Gb&Standard=PC2+8500

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

pc6400 will be fine, but remember overclocking c2d/c2q's are completly different to overclocking amd athlons, or pentium 4 chips. The ram:fsb can stay locked and you can just raise the cpu:fsb. Although increasing both will result in better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

thanks for the reply anti.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Griffin87 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply anti.

Baaah. Anti is technically correct, however... teh PC 8500 will allow a higher divider for faster ram speeds. :cool: You could drop the multi on the E8400 to x8 and get that thing clocked with 1:1 ratio of 500. :) Of course this assumes that the E8400 will get to 500. Many stop at 480.

PS: The Asus Premium is an excellent board. I have 2 of them. Highly recommended.

Advertisement