Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

electric fencing

• 22-05-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

i need to get electric fencing for a 5 acre field.

is there anyone in ireland who does electric fencing? what's a reasonable cost?

i found some places on the net in england who do solar batteries. the field has no mains, so a battery is the only way.

any thoughts on normal battery versus solar? any other pitfalls i haven't thought of? i'm new to all this type of thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

gar_29 wrote: »
    i need to get electric fencing for a 5 acre field.

is there anyone in ireland who does electric fencing? what's a reasonable cost?

i found some places on the net in england who do solar batteries. the field has no mains, so a battery is the only way.

any thoughts on normal battery versus solar? any other pitfalls i haven't thought of? i'm new to all this type of thing.

You will buy and electric fence in any agri co-op, but I haven't seen any solar fences for sale in them. I read an article in a farming paper about solar fencers though and it said that they weren't much use - better for fencing a garden for dogs than cattle or sheep in a field. Cheeta are one of the big suppliers of electric fence systems in Ireland, they are pretty reliable and they offer a back up and maintenance service. They have a website if you google it.

If you really wanted a solar powered fence, I would recommend that you buy a fencer that will run from a 12 volt battery and then buy a solar panel charger that will keep the battery topped up. It would be much better than a fencer that had a solar panel built in for charging.

As for the fence itself, are you putting up wooden posts with strainers, wire and insulators or are you going to do it the cheap way with wire posts and white fence tape? Either way you should get all you need from your local agri store or even diy store.

Regards

Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭gar_29

thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We chose a battery fencer that takes 9-12V batteries (cant remember brand), We use an old car battery to run it which will run for about 2 months and require re-charge..
    Its been running for 3 years without hitch, and not too much trouble to move round..
    No batteries to purchase..

I've looked at 12V solar chargers on e-bay and am considering connecting one to the battery to keep it topped up..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ima lurker

Hi all.
    Spotted this thread while looking for solarpaddy website. Got one of these for my father in law last year from a fellow in Limerick and it seems to be top notch. He is very pleased with it and now wants to order another.
    It's just www.solarpaddy.com

Advertisement