Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Makeup

Options
  • 22-05-2008 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

How many of you girls don't bother with make-up at all during the day? Or, at least, don't usually bother.

What do you think of women who don't wear make-up? Do they come across as lazy or not interested in their appearance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I said it in the last thread, i'll say it in this one. I prefer women with little to no make-up. i don't know why, but over the last two years or so, thats what works. I'd never think lazy or uncaring

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Deadalus

I hate make up on a girl. I actually cant stand the whole concept of make up and that any girl thinks she needs to use make up to improve her appearance. I love that my girlfriend never wears any make up and doesn't waste hundreds of euro every year like her sister does on pointless products. Guys make do with what they are given so why can't girls?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

See, when men think 'makeup' they think blusher, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick.

So they say 'no makeup'.

They don't realise that a lot of the girls they're eyeballing thinking they're not wearing makeup are actually wearing foundation.

Personally, I admire girls who can go without it, I know people ask me if I'm okay or if I'm feeling alright if I don't wear it :/

I never wear it in work, unless I have a meeting or look crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I never wear makeup during the day. to be honest it would take me to long to do it in the morning & id have to be touching it up all day to keep it from looking a mess.

i only wear makeup going out or for special occassions. ive also worn it going for interviews actually.

but generally just going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Silverfish wrote: »
    See, when men think 'makeup' they think blusher, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick.

So they say 'no makeup'.

They don't realise that a lot of the girls they're eyeballing thinking they're not wearing makeup are actually wearing foundation.

Personally, I admire girls who can go without it, I know people ask me if I'm okay or if I'm feeling alright if I don't wear it :/

agreed with all of the above.

I tend towards as natural a look as possible - a bit of foundation, plus a lick of mascara and some natural lip gloss or lip balm. If you saw me you probably wouldn't think I was wearing makeup at all.

I would prefer to go without but a) I get exactly the same questions as silverfish regarding being sick if I don't wear some foundation and b) I have a small scar across my nose where it got broken years ago that I am a little self-conscious about, and I manage to successfully minimise it with a little bit of foundation.

Up until my nose was broken, I never really bothered with any make-up at all, wish I could go back to that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 phreneticus

it all depends on whether they are or are not what we in the business refer to as "manky wagons". A good looking girl looks best with little make-up on in my humble opinion, unlike some of the oompa loompas we have here in UCC whose ethnicity underneath the slap is as as unknown as how they get the figs in the figrolls. You can't even tell what colour they naturally are, let alone what they naturally look like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

I never wear make up during the day.

It would take too long to do in the morning and i like my bed too much!

I do wear it if im going out though but i tend to wear as little as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Every day make up: lip gloss, eye liner, eye shadow
    Night: all 3 and then blusher

Stopped using foundation on my face ages last year, ruined so many of my clothes and was too much hassle...

I think every lady should find what works for her, some women can get away with little or no make up and others cant.

I don't wear makeup unless I am going out or in a situation where I might blush. Like an interview.
    Although I am perfectly happy to go out without any warpaint at all.
    My cosmetics collection consists of toothpaste,mouthwash, floss, soap, showergel and shampoo.

I used to think that being overly interested in your appearance was a sign of low self esteem. Until I lived abroad.
    Now I see that take an interest in your appearance and the way it impacts on others can be a positive thing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I really only wear concealer in work as I have to, at the weekends unless I'm going out I don't bother with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

Silverfish wrote: »

So they say 'no makeup'.

lol so true. to look at me in work you would probably think I am not wearing makeup but I am wearing tinted moisturoiser, clear mascara, undereye concealer, beige eyeshadow and a bit of blusher. You would also think I had a natural tan as I have sallow skin but its fake tan

Thats my normal work make up. I do wear a lot going out but my attitude is that life is not a regearsal and i like to look as good as i can when i am out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I dont wear make up to work unless I have meetings to go to or plan on meeting someone for lunch. I have my own office, so nobody really sees me.

I only really wear make up when I am going out somewhere, I follow the less is more approach unless I am going out partying.. Then it is smoky eyes glitter and gloss..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

GinnyJo wrote: »
    I really only wear concealer in work as I have to, at the weekends unless I'm going out I don't bother with it.

whats concealer ?:confused:

i like when a girl doesnt wear make up, but i dont particularily dislike if a girl wear make up, unless there is so much that i wanna light a candle on her face and sing happy birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Personally I always go for girls with little or no make-up. And I love white skin on a girl (assuming of course she's actually white). I really hate the whole fake brown look, puts me off no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭kelly1979

i admire any woman who can get up at the dawn to put on make-up but like another poster said, i love my bed too much.
    that said i love makeup but would only wear it on a night out and use the less is more approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

haha the amount of guys i know that point out girls they like that don't wear makeup as a shiny example of the 'no makeup rule' and actually do is really funny to watch.

most days i have natural enough makeup on the only thing i'd wear every second day that screams makeup is eyeshadow and liner. thats a choice its not because i think i look ugly otherwise its because i like it. probably around 3 days a week i go without any. i dont try to hide my paleness and i'd use a powder just to prevent too much shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I have a few acne scars, uneven skin and at this time of year, freckles (not the cute dotty kind, the splotchey-oh-hey-check-out-my-skin-damage!! kind) so I feel kinda crap without some light foundation, powder, etc to even things out. I don't cake it on, it only takes 10 minutes at most and I feel better for the rest of the day for it, so IMO it's worth it. It's not the end of the world if I don't have time to put it on, but it gives me an extra boost of confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Natural, light makeup during the day, to just add a little definition and colour. Light liquid foundation down centre only, lip/cheek stain, mascara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

I dont wear make up that often to work , i dont like wearing it plus i like my extra 15minutes in bed. :p
    Outside of work i generally would wear it. In saying this , i recently changed my makeup to Benefit, my poor skin hasnt been the same since:(

aye wrote: »
    whats concealer ?:confused:

i like when a girl doesnt wear make up, but i dont particularily dislike if a girl wear make up, unless there is so much that i wanna light a candle on her face and sing happy birthday.

its what girls put under foundation to cover the blemishes etc.
    I have some scars and I cover them up but other then that I perefer no make-up.
    Gauge have you tried any of the mineral make-ups?
    I find they cover my bad bits great and it doesn't appear too heavy at all:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Eye make up practically everday. Usually consists of a few layers of mascara and elaborate liquid liner some days. I like to stand out. Gave up foundation last year, never looked back. I am lucky enough to have quite clear skin, plus I embrace my natural paleness. Sometimes use a pressed powder on my face to even the tone alright. Plus carmex for chapped lips, and that's it for me during the week. Weekends wouldn't be very different, maybe eyeshadow and lipstick/gloss(depending on where I'm going).

5 mins with a lick of foundation mascara and a tad smidge of blusher doesn't go amiss with me in the morning :D Done mostly at my desk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

GinnyJo wrote: »
    its what girls put under foundation to cover the blemishes etc.

still confused to be honest, so slow :o

i thought foundation was the first thing to go on your face?
    is concealer a skin colour?

Some people use it, some don't.
    It is skin coloured too, but covers up dark circles and redness.
    This is usually the most popular one for concealing and highlighting.
    http://www.touche-eclat.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

9 out of 10 times I dont wear any make up at all during the day- but if I accidently got out of bed too early or something I would pop on a smudge of foundation and a quick sweep of mascara. If Im going out I would generally have a bit of foundation and but a little more effort into my eyes, some shadow, eye liner and mascara.

I think it makes me feel more dressed and in 'out' mode because its kept for a special occassion.

On the point of fake tan- aghhh! Never never never! It looks so bad. My sister for example has naturally red hair, which she highlights until its blonde. She always puts on fake tan. The thing is, if she were to spend a month in the sun she wouldnt get a tan! She doesnt have the skin type for it- therefore a tan (even if it wasnt a yikky orange thing) wouldnt look right or natural!

I like being pale and interesting! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I work for a venture capitalist firm, and coming to work looking professional is part of the job. I wear make up at least 5 days a week as a result. It's been somewhat disappointing lately because my skin has been in amazing form for some reason, and putting on foundation just seems wrong.
    However, normally, I wear foundation, a light bronzer, neutral lip color + a gloss, a gold tinted eye shadow, black liquid eye liner and black mascara. I should point out that my hair and eyes are a very dark brown, bordering on black, and my skin is sallow, so while that may sound like dramatic make up, it's not on me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I ALWAYS have foundation on but it's subtle, I also always wear at least mascara on my eyes and a little colour in my cheeks.. If I'm going out at night or feeling extra energetic before work I'll do the eyeshadow and lipgloss, but that usually happens in traffic out of boredom.. Going out at the weekends I like to make my eyes look really dramatic and plump up the lips a little :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭campervan

ye foundation and bad skin is a vicious circle. you want to wear it to cover up your skin but when you do wear it gets worse, and the more you feel the need to wear...wish I could break it!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I rarely wear any make up, I am 36 (nearly 37) and I am lucky to blessed with amazing skin so I don't need it, the amount of guys that like the fact I have no make up has been a bonus for me. I do wear make up when I go out at night or occasionally I wear mascara and some powder, but I guess I don't wear because I am lazy but also know I don't need it for now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Considering the number of guys here who have commented on prefering the "natural look" (as opposed to no makeup!), does anyone wonder why a lot of Irish models look like Katie French and Rosanna Davidson - perma-tanned, bleached blonde, very made-up looking?

I'm not saying these girls aren't inherently good-looking, but doesn't it make you wonder what they look like au naturelle?

It seems to be a popular opinion among Irish women that to be considered good-looking all you need is Blonde hair, Brown skin, Black eyes and Big nails? :confused:

Advertisement