Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salads - Nuts

• 22-05-2008 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

hi,

I'm on a weight-loss drive at the moment and have started taking salads to work with me every day - it's only been a fortnight, but I'm getting bored - I've thought of introducing some nuts into the salad - what are the nuts that are traditionally put into Cesar Salads? (I think there might be a spelling issue on that one!).

Any other suggestions would also be welcome.

Thanks,

CJM.

PS - I don't cook, so don't suggest anything that could take up my precious tv-watching time!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

pine nuts i think, best of you lightly toast them in the pan before hand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Traditionally, none. But you could use pine nuts. Walnuts might be nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

do i get those in a normal supermarket?

Just letting you know Cesar Salads are generally not good for weight loss especially if it comes with croutons, but they are tasty:)

there is the other option of the classic 70's waldorf salad

Generally the big one should or a health food store they can be a little pricey but are very nice

• Advertisement

i only have a bog standard salad - egg / lettuce / tomato / a spoon of light mayo / ham / cheese - i'm so bloody bored with it though........have chicken for the next few...........

you could try this, nothing really exotic in it

Waldorf Salad Recipe

Ingredients

1/2 cup chopped, slightly toasted walnuts
    1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup red seedless grapes, sliced (or a 1/4 cup of raisins)
    1 sweet apple, cored and chopped
    3 Tbsp mayonnaise
    1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    Salt
    Lettuce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

:) You could try some seeds as well, sunflower, sesame or flax can be nice over a salad. A nice one that I like is sunflower seeds, avocado and raw spinach. Yum!

think i'll incorporate seeds in so..........thanks for the suggestions all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Tesco have started doing a range of 'ingredients' which seem to be fairly good quality. They do a large range of nuts - even in the smaller stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Just a thought OP but if you ditch the mayo for a while and try making up some of your own dressings you might enjoy the salds a bit more.

Tesco have a huge range of flavoured oils which can be great for making up dressings. I know you are on a weight loss program but a tablespoon of a well-flavored oil dressing can go a lot father than the same amount of mayo and it isn't that much more expensive calorie wise.

You can also play with flavour combinations. I find that if i use big flavours like wasabi paste in a dressing i really enjoy it but eat less of it. Balsamic vinegar, chopped lemon flesh (de-pitted), diced chillies are all great in this. (Not necessarily at the same time though!) They're really easy to make as well. I usually put the oil, vinegar salt and pepper into a clean jam jar and shake like crazy for a few seconds. Then just pour over the salad.

Also if you take a look at Japanese cooking you might get a few ideas as well, there's loads of flavour and fewer calories in lots of oriental recipies. And its not all Sushi and seaweed!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

paperclip2 wrote: »
    :) You could try some seeds as well, sunflower, sesame or flax can be nice over a salad. A nice one that I like is sunflower seeds, avocado and raw spinach. Yum!

+ Pumpkin seeds.

Another salad I like to eat spinach leaves is chopped garlic in a bit of olive oil drizzled over the leaves with some chopped dates.

The strong garlic + sweet dates play a nice tune together in my mouth. not recommended if people are going to be within 5 feet of you though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

For homemade dressing always use 6 tablespoons of oil to 1 tablespoon of vinegar, you con double,triple the quantities. Add finely choped garlic, oregano, and black peppeer. Enjoy

Advertisement