Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total rent noob - questions re contract etc...

Options
  • 22-05-2008 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

This wasn't quite covered in the rental sticky, so hope you don't mind me asking here. I have the prep work done on looking for places, but not quite sure on the 'afters' so to speak.

Gonig to see a place tonight (thro letting agency) and may well want it.
    How does it work then?
    Do I offer to put a holding deposit (so I can make up my mind further?) or just say 'yes - it's for me', and let them get the ball rolling?
    Who does my deposit go to? Do I get a receipt for this, or is it written into the contract?
    Is there anything specific I should check in the contract - was thinking to make sure managament fees / bin charges are included.
    Anything else?

First timer, and just want to be sure I don't get screwed!

Thanking you in advance

WM

Also, the place I'm going to see has been on the market for a while. As I'm willing to move in pretty immediately, could I just say my case and look for a 50 to 100 euro reduction?
    Do many people actually try and get the price down from the asking price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Do I offer to put a holding deposit (so I can make up my mind further?) or just say 'yes - it's for me', and let them get the ball rolling?

- If you like it say you'll take it. Some agents ask for a holding deposit, others don't. But chances are they'll want the first months rent and security deposit fairly quick, within a day or two maybe

Who does my deposit go to? Do I get a receipt for this, or is it written into the contract?
    - Generally to the agent. Don't hand over any money unless they're willing to give you a receipt for it.

Is there anything specific I should check in the contract - was thinking to make sure managament fees / bin charges are included.
    Anything else?

-Make sure to ask all questions as regards bin fees etc. Management fees should not be borne by you. Give the lease when you get it a good read over and query anything you're uneasy with.

And there's no harm in asking for a reduction in the rent. If the place has been up for let for a while, then I'd definitely recommend it. It's losing the LL money as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Thank you very very much Bugler! :)

Mods - might be worthwhile putting his post in the rental sticky above too.

Advertisement