Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner for one?

• 22-05-2008 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi there.

I am posting because, I have always had someone to cook for and never really had to make dinner for less than 3 people.

I now find myself cooking for just myself and really want to continue cooking my dinners from scratch, however, I always make too much and end up wasting a lot of food by throwing away the left overs. I don't have a decent freezer (living in rented flat and the freezers are always tiny), so freezing left overs is not really an option.

Would anyone out there have advice on cooking for one? I love italian and my lasagne is my favourite thing that I make but I don't want to make it and then throw loads away.

Are there any decent cook books on cooking for one that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any replies! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Fish!!

Its great for solo cooking and loads of it is eaten in Italy. Also risotto is a good meal for one as you have less stirring. Caponata and ratatouille will last a couple of days in the fridge.

:pac: Will keep the thinking hat on...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭miss deise

I was never a big fish eater, but I've tried some in restaurants and I do enjoy it when it's fresh, so I'll definitly have a crack at cooking some.

Also thanks for the Caponata suggestion. I had never heard of it, but I just googled it and it sounds great, so I'll give that a go too.

Thanks!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I find pasta dishes easy to do for one - this one is easy + quick...

While cooking pasta...
    Fry two smokey rashers in pan, add garlic. When cooked add creme fraiche, parmesan and torn basil leaves. Drain pasta and lash into sauce - mix around and eat! It's kind of a carbonara thing.
    You sub creme fraiche with tomatoes (fresh are handy as you don't have half a tin left) Or add mushrooms or even chicken for a more substancial meal.

It's also nice if you get a bit of ciabatta - grill it and when it has cooled slightly rub a clove of garlic of the cut face. Then rub a cut tomato over the bread and drizzle with olive oil.

Advertisement