Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has Ryanair got the sizing of their planes wrong

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Biro wrote: »
    That's contrary to an article I have from Aer Lingus when they were buying the 300 sereis back in the early 90's. You could be right, but from what I've read, they are fly-by-wire. I won't dispute the fact though! Articles have been known to be wrong before! :D

I am right, trust me. There are no "fly by wire" systems on the -300/400/500. All flight controls/engine controls/landing gear controls are firmly linked to the cockpit via steel control cables not electrical wires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

*Kol* wrote: »
    I am right, trust me. There are no "fly by wire" systems on the -300/400/500. All flight controls/engine controls/landing gear controls are firmly linked to the cockpit via steel control cables not electrical wires.

Cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

EI only had two 300s... not fly by wire.

135 seaters.

EI only had two 300s... not fly by wire.

135 seaters.
    EI-BUD and EI-BUE. Didn't have them for too long either. They did have glass cockpit though.
    They had a small number of 400's also, not long afterwards. Don't remember when the 500's came. T'was airbus after that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Bramble wrote: »
    I was told this by an ex FR steward who is working on his CPL at the moment. QUOTE]

Ah will ya stop, even plane spotters know what an engine on a 737 looks like, its been the same since the 733 was launched in 1981. If he doesnt know what engines are on a 737 then he should stick to selling scratch cards! :confused:
    But having just changed their fleet to all winglets perhaps changing to a more efficient engine would be worth it?
    QUOTE]

Again, why would Ryanair be the ONLY airline in the world to change from an engine that has been on the 737 for over 25 years for something totally different and unproven. Winglets are one thing, but a new engine, the total change over of over 150 aircraft, the testing, the costs etc etc all to save maybe a few percent on fuel is not going to happen. The 7 series CFM engines are the just right for the 737 and its the industry standard for it. Sorry bramble, no disrespect but stick to stuff down the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭yaeger

I have been only on this board for a while, but really guys there is some funny armchair pilots on here, its funny but dont speak out in public :-)))))
    3/4/5 generation were the first EFIS generation!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I had a long chat with a very senior engineer (fancy title - only 9 of them working for the airline) with Flybe recently.

He said some scary things about airlines skimping on servicing.

He also spoke about new much more fuel efficient aircraft such as the Embraer 195 and Bombardier Q400. The latter (turboprop) only sips fuel and he sees it as the future on shorter flights of maybe 2 hours or less.

yaeger wrote: »
    I have been only on this board for a while, but really guys there is some funny armchair pilots on here, its funny but dont speak out in public :-)))))

Sure we do our best!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I still can't see Ryanair expanding with just the 737s though.
    They've had to abandon routes that are un-economic as mentioned earlier in the thread.
    These routes would be viable with a smaller aircraft which has a lower break-even point. So perhaps when they have taken delivery of all the 737s they have commited to they can start looking at the smaller routes again with view to using a smaller plane on those routes.
    All the 737s don't have to be kept as has been mentioned previously, some can be sold on to other operators in different regions who need to upgrade to a more economical 737 from an earlier design.

Does everyone agree that they really are busting their guts trying to keep the load factor up on some of their routes. On other routes it is hard to get a cheap fare because the seats are always sold out early.

Perhaps they have grown beyond the South Western model and seeing as Europe is a different market with many smaller cities near each other they really do need smaller planes on some routes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I was told this by an ex FR steward who is working on his CPL at the moment. QUOTE]
    But having just changed their fleet to all winglets perhaps changing to a more efficient engine would be worth it?
    QUOTE]

Sorry bramble, no disrespect but stick to stuff down the back.

You may have noticed that I had repeated something i was told but didn't do so in an authorative and overbearing manner like some posters here. My 2nd point was a question rather than a statement. Since when is asking a hypothethical question worthy of the 'superior' answer I got from you,a simple no would have sufficed.

So your "no disrespect" was disrespectful and rude. Thats coming from a dolly from down the back who knows how to be rude by being overly polite. I don't claim to be a technical expert on these threads. I just throw my 2 cent in like most others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

+1

Well said Bramble.

What's your point? That's two unecessary comments in this thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭yaeger

3/4/5 series were efis comment was my point !, the other was an observation.
    Simple really.....whats the goal of YOUR post kol, public forum so i can say what i like within reason and i dont believe i caused any offense so how about you go lighten up you miserable..............................:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Lol amazing how much this place gets like pprune at times :) Lets agree Ryanair have got their aircraft types right...but i never thought id see the day when MOL threatens to ground 10% of the fleet!

Yahoo news-Ryanair to ground 10% of fleet

I find this a bit hard to believe, surely Ryanair of all airlines would want their entire fleet in the air as much as possible making money even with high fuel and landing charges...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Yes, but wouldn't those routes be profitable to run through the winter if they had a smaller aircraft on those routes.
    I know they have a flexible workforce but aren't there still wages to pay and the capital cost of the plane isn't being serviced.

3/4/5 series were efis comment was my point !, the other was an observation.
    Simple really.....whats the goal of YOUR post kol, public forum so i can say what i like within reason and i dont believe i caused any offense so how about you go lighten up you miserable..............................:cool:

Yes it is a public forum...for armchair pilots too who like to speak out in public. You didn't cause any offense until you called me miserable!!:cool:

pclancy wrote: »
    Lol amazing how much this place gets like pprune at times :) Lets agree Ryanair have got their aircraft types right...but i never thought id see the day when MOL threatens to ground 10% of the fleet!

I find this a bit hard to believe, surely Ryanair of all airlines would want their entire fleet in the air as much as possible making money even with high fuel and landing charges...:confused:

Daer lord1 Please don't let us go the pprune route!!!

I am of a similar opinion as yourself. At least an a/c flying with enough pax to cover costs (fuel/staff/airport fees/maintainance) should be better than not flying at all.

An option for EI suggested elsewhere could be an early return to leaser of the A330 slated to go next summer(EI-CRK). That combined with the normal winter maintainance schedule and planned cabin refit of the A330s should create the reduction in capacity on longhaul.

There was an senior EI meeting at the weekend relating to the current fuel price situation. Must have been serious to get EI mangagers in on a bank hoilday(Unfortunately for a 24/7/364 airline this is true)We should see a press release as a result over the next week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Should be noted that easyJet's in an interesting position at the moment.

116 x A319
    9 x A320
    7 x A321
    30 x B737-700

A321s and half of the 737s to be removed from the fleet by the end of the year. A320/A321 have IAE engines while A319s have CFM.

As the SOPs for the A320/1s from GB Airways have not yet been fully aligned with easyJet's A319 fleet the aircraft are operated as a subfleet with dedicated flight and cabin crew.

So, a low cost airline with three seperate "fleets". Definitely not the traditional low cost model but easyJet still seem to be doing well.

WexCan wrote: »
    Should be noted that easyJet's in an interesting position at the moment.

116 x A319
    9 x A320
    7 x A321
    30 x B737-700

As the SOPs for the A320/1s from GB Airways have not yet been fully aligned with easyJet's A319 fleet the aircraft are operated as a subfleet with dedicated flight and cabin crew.

So, a low cost airline with three seperate "fleets". Definitely not the traditional low cost model but easyJet still seem to be doing well.

I assume that Easy cabin crew are trained on both B737 and A320 series thus allowing them to fly on both fleets. However as you say the different SOPs on the A320/321 would prevent them operating on these a/c. So it is not as complicated as you may think. Most ailrines have several subfleets although this is unusual for LCCs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

There are a number of groups of cabin crew:

1) 737
    2) 737/319
    3) 319
    4) 320/321

737 and 319 share the same manual, while 320/321 uses an amended version of the old GB one.

As you say, very odd set up for a LCC. The CEO has mentioned that by switching to 319 only the airline would save roughly £40m. This process is starting soon, with all 737s and ex-GB 320/1 aircraft leaving the fleet over coming years. easyJet is, however, investigating the possibility of converting 319 orders to 320 in order to have a dual-gauge fleet. (easy would prefer to use new easy-configured 320s rather than the GB aircraft)

• Advertisement
Advertisement