Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ongar Road and overtaking

Options
  • 22-05-2008 2:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

Not sure if you have come across this but, alot of people seem to think it is ok to overtake you using the bus lane on the ongar distribution road. Now the speed limit on this road was a bit stupid at 50km but it is now 60km which is alittle slow I think but is palatable considering most people hover a little over this.

However there I am some days driving around the 60km limit and countless cars shooting over to the bus lane to overtake. I am not on about car seperating out coming up to lights, but blatantly using the bus lane as an overtaking lane. Do these people not realise if they want to overtake they should do so in the traditional fashion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah sure, if you're going to break one law...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Stark wrote: »
    Ah sure, if you're going to break one law...

I kinda expected that. YAWN YAWN

Most people drive on this road in or about the speed limit. I dont have a speed gun with me to measure them but that was not the point I was making. The point I was making was about people overtaking on the bus lane on this road when in general there is no need to do so coz people arent crawling along.

Is there ever a need to speed? It's one of the less interesting facts of human nature that people tend to break the rules.

Is there ever a need to speed? It's one of the less interesting facts of human nature that people tend to break the rules.

The thread is not about speeding its about overtaking. The 50km limit was raised because it was ridiculous, and the local papers were running articles about how stupid it was etc etc. It is now 60km. I generally drive on this road at 60km and most other people in or abouts this. When it was 50km I did the same, I drove in or about 50km, I am not a speeder and/try to keep at a reasonable speed within the law. I do not have a speed gun to tell you the exact speed of every other car on the road.

My issue is with the overtaking on the road which you have not mentioned once.

Perhaps you have an opinion on this or else start a new thread on speeding perhap? Just a suggestion.

dodgyme wrote: »
    Perhaps you have an opinion on this or else start a new thread on speeding perhap? Just a suggestion.

My opinion is that it's not worth caring about.

• Advertisement

My opinion is that it's not worth caring about.

Thanks for your contribution. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Jessiemac

Thanks for your contribution. :rolleyes:
    Yes, the introduction of bus lanes has lead to this phenomonen of 'undertaking'. I have frequently found myself being 'undertaken' and overtaken simultaneously on the Ongar Rd, while driving around the speed limit - very intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

This undertaking happens daily on the new Ongar Road. Mind you there are plenty of people in the Ongar area who don't seem to know how to indicate at roundabouts or who has right of way at a variety of different junctions or where it's reasonable to park in the Ongar Village. So I'm not surprised by the undertaking.
    I don't know if I'm getting less tolerant about it all or if it's actually happening more and more but it drives me crazy.
    And the worst thing is that usually after someone does something very stupid, like pull out in front of me without even looking and gives me a right I end up doing something stupid shortly afterwards cos I've been so thrown by it. And I'm lucky if I get through a week without this happening these days.

The guards are happy to give someone 2 points for going a few miles over the speed limit but the people out there with no regard or knowledge of the rules of the road never seem to get pulled on it.

Mary28 wrote: »
    The guards are happy to give someone 2 points for going a few miles over the speed limit but the people out there with no regard or knowledge of the rules of the road never seem to get pulled on it.

true. It is not too difficult to catch a few of the 'undertakers' on the ongar road if they wanted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Overtaking on the left is illegal for a reason. It is potentially very dangerous as some vehicles have a left hand blindspot that cannot be overcome and so have no way of seeing vehicles on their left should they need to move over to turn left. Obviously it is also an offence to use the bus lane unless turning right a short distance ahead anyway though just using a buslane is not inherently dangerous and is illegal for other reasons.

The Ongar Road seems prone to this behaviour to a much greater degree than similar distributor roads in the area. Not sure why that is apart from the dead straightness of the road making even 60 feel very slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭supaburger

Not sure if you have come across this but, alot of people seem to think it is ok to overtake you using the bus lane on the ongar distribution road. Now the speed limit on this road was a bit stupid at 50km but it is now 60km which is alittle slow I think but is palatable considering most people hover a little over this.

However there I am some days driving around the 60km limit and countless cars shooting over to the bus lane to overtake. I am not on about car seperating out coming up to lights, but blatantly using the bus lane as an overtaking lane. Do these people not realise if they want to overtake they should do so in the traditional fashion.

60km limit on road its not enough
    70km is more reasonable
    plus that lane is hardly used by any bus but its still 24/7 365 reserved for non existant buses.
    imoh that is retarded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The problem that needs to be addressed here is our 24hour bus lanes imo. We have no 24hr buses :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

supaburger wrote: »
    70km is more reasonable
    plus that lane is hardly used by any bus but its still 24/7 365 reserved for non existant buses.
    imoh that is retarded

It was originally 50km/h !

supaburger wrote: »
    70km is more reasonable

It's a residential area. 60km/hr is plenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Renno

Some lad decided save himself two seconds this morning by nipping up the inside on the stretch up to Shelerin Road.

Unfortunately the Mondeo behind him had other ideas, put on his blue lights and siren and did the necessary. It does give you a warm glow inside when you see it happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Renno wrote: »
    Some lad decided save himself two seconds this morning by nipping up the inside on the stretch up to Shelerin Road.

Unfortunately the Mondeo behind him had other ideas, put on his blue lights and siren and did the necessary. It does give you a warm glow inside when you see it happening!

Nice

Advertisement