Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cover for Deck

Options
  • 22-05-2008 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi Folks - Just built a Deck (fierece proud of myself!!) Am now trying to figure out what to cover it with (given our wonderful summers in Ireland). One option is Perspex, etc but I was interested in looking into Awning material, etc - anyone knowwhere I could start looking for this? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I'd suggest (I'm thinking of one myself) one of those gazebo things, which might make a summer room out of the deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hey - can I please bump this thread as I don't want to post the exact same thing again and there wasn't that much progress for the original poster....

- We have a very nice deck but I have only been on it 4 times in the past year as it seems to rain for 361 days a year now in Ireland :rolleyes:

Would like to get the kids out for fresh air and have the odd sit out at my lovely wooden table and chairs I've never gotten to use!!!

All advice appreciated,

Raiser

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can get translucent fibreglass sheets, they are expensive though.
    The clear plastic ones are not worth bothering with, the UV makes them brittle and they crack after a few years.
    Whatever you use would need to be well fixed if the deck has open sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hey CJ - thanks for taking the time to reply...... Any idea where to pick these up? Would a more traditional awning not be easier on the eye in your opinion etc?

- Would love to hear from anyone who has done similar and been happy with the price and results.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It all comes down to the individuals taste and wallet depth.
    For some a usable outdoor space covered with the translucent fibreglass is OK, for others a custom awning that folds away might be much more appealing.
    Have you priced awnings from Acme blinds?
    They are not cheap AFAIK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement