Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sub work and teaching positions

• 22-05-2008 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all,

I completed my HDIP a few years ago, but have ended up working in the IT industry since. I would now like to return to teaching but wondered what the situation/ demand with sub work is like in the Limerick/ Clare/ Tipp area. My subjects are English and History, while I know these are not high demand subjects I would just like a relealistic view of the situation if possible. Its all about trying to make an informed decision really.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

There is an advertisment in today's Irish Times for teachers for Limerick VEC. The most in demand subject in that by a distance is English.

In practice, of course, it may be that in many of these cases they already have someone on the staff in a less than fully established capacity who is ear-marked for these jobs and the advert is purely for official purposes. But at least it is there and the subject areas are interesting in that they buck a lot of the conventional wisdom.

But with the ear-marking of people for jobs in mind, I would say that you would certainly need to actually get into the teaching business in a subbing capacity as it seems extremely unlikely that you'll go straight from a job outside teaching into a teaching job. But being a qualified teacher would surely make you a very attractive sub for any school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mopsy

Thanks for that Rosita I'll pick the paper up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ALWAYS apply for pwt jobs coz a) you might get it b) gives you a chance to impress people and they will remember you for sub work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 john10

Hi guys,
    I want to post a new thread regarding substitue teaching. HOw do you post a new thread on boards.ie. I just signed up today...

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

go into the forum and click post new thread button near top of page. Just make sure your question hasn't been asked millions of times by using the search function or you might some smart answers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

john10 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I want to post a new thread regarding substitue teaching. HOw do you post a new thread on boards.ie. I just signed up today...

Thanks.

As The Driver said. There is also a newbies forum with lots of help and tips.

There is complimentary tea and coffee in the corner, help yourself.

Advertisement