Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo tattoos anyone had one done ??

• 22-05-2008 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has ever gotten a tattoo in Thailand using the traditional bamboo method. Thinking of getting one done when Im there over the next few weeks but havent a clue where to go and not the best country to just be wandering into any old place!!! Also anyone know if its more painful than the machine??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I don't know of anyone practising the ancient style of tattooing here in Ireland but I know there are some who do it in England. By all accounts it is meant to be one hell of a motha fúcka to get done.
    Hopefully you will find a decent place over there, I wasn't aware Thailand did those types. I dunno what the hygiene standards are there like, most hand poking tattoo's are done by the tribes men anyway... good luck in your quest :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thailand is supposed to have decent enough standards of hygiene.A mate of mine got one done over there last year by bamboo and he said it hurt like ****

Obviously its down to the person getting tattooed--Just make sure that the place is clean.The thing about bamboo/hand tapped tattoos is that some places
    use the same needles for want of a better word on more than one client and they cant be cleaned to the same standards as changing to a new needle for every client.

Was reading a while back about a Western tattooist who went to Samoa and brought the traditionalists up to speed with hygiene and was made an honary member of the tribe and a give the title of traditional tattooer and trained in the old ways of tattooing.
    Cant remember the exact details but I think shes tattooing in the UK at one of the conventions this year.Ill see if I can find the mag and post her name up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I watched a guy get a muari style tattoo on his face with the hand tapped method when i was in New Zealand.
    It didnt look exactly.. em, plesesnt, but i was talkign to him afterwards and he said it was bearable, And not much worse than getting a normal tattoo(he thinks, he doesnt have any machine tattoo's on his face) well that all i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

go talk to Steve in Snakebite, he's had some done, showed me em on his legs, said it was nasty ass pain alright! Got em while he was still in England...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

The Tattooist (horror film)

Looked amusing from the clips I've seen anyway.

There are a few vids on youtube for samoan tattooing:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rovGW44OS2Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Thanks everone!! I did read somewhere that they healed a lot easier because there isnt meant to be any blood and that they were actually less painful but think I will be doing a bit more research before I decide!!! Supposed to be a lot less fading too ....

The non changing of needles would be slightly worrying alright:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

im in thailand at the moment, theres plenty of tattoo shops around but most only use machines. i have seen a few signs for the bamboo ones tho... as for hygiene, i cant really comment but id say some shops are a lot cleaner than others but id recommend researching it quite a bit. also they would have no problem tattooing you when ur drunk so be careful of that.
    i have heard that they heal alot quicker though which would be handy.

Thanks if you happen to spot any particularly good ones can you maybe post the names here ? I might just stick with the machine method as Ill know what to expect with that :) Been trying to find info for Jimmy Wongs place but not much coming up on the net !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭tayto909

hey, there's so many studios over there best thing to do really is look around, check out photos of their work or come back once or twice when there actually tattooing customers and check out the quality in the flesh. i got some matching ankle stars done over there by hand a few years back. the lines have held up really well and are pretty much still as dark as when i got them.... as for the pain, it hurts in a different way and the pain is much more intense than machine as the pressure of the needles is inconsistent . wouldn't reccomend it to first timers! mine didn't bleed a single drop and because of this healing time was about 4 days[really!] and no scab to suck out the ink. do it!!

sorry the guy that did mine was in ao nang, krabi province. he's fairly well known and trained with the monks for quite a few years, he goes by the name of tu!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

bobbygirl wrote: »
    Thanks if you happen to spot any particularly good ones can you maybe post the names here ? I might just stick with the machine method as Ill know what to expect with that :) Been trying to find info for Jimmy Wongs place but not much coming up on the net !!

yeah jimmy wongs meant to be good, i think he has more than one shop and his daughter is a tattooist too. i googled him before and apparently he has a shop somewhere around sukumvit in bkk, not sure what street though but he does have a site if you keep looking.
    i have seen a lot of good work on both locals and foreigners since iv been here though, so theres definitely some good artists around!

Great might be in that area also dont suppose you know the name of the studio? The one I have now took about 5hrs so wont be a complete beginner:)

QUOTE=tayto909;56033311]sorry the guy that did mine was in ao nang, krabi province. he's fairly well known and trained with the monks for quite a few years, he goes by the name of tu!![/QUOTE]

ok,ao nang is close [20mins] to krabi if your going there. the studio didn't have a name, just a simple 'tattoo' sign out the front.if you go right to the end of the town along the beach road[erm... if you look out to the sea go leftwards!!],the road eventually turns away from the shore and goes up hill.walk up the hill about 5 mins and it should be on your right hand side.the studio is TINY, just enough room for the tattooist and client. good luck finding it, highly reccomended.expect to pay the equivelent of about 50/60E an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Something perhaps of interest to you:
    rubytattoo wrote: »
    Thanks for the interest in the show! The list of artists that appear above are last years artists,I will be posting this years artists on myspace/midletontattoo in the next couple of days.We've some very exciting new artists coming including two different types of traditional hand tappers,one from New Zealand and one from Thailand.

From the Cork convention thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 philip.dragon

hi there

well me and my girlfriend went to ao nang krabi for a holiday and whilst we was there we both got tattoos with bamboo just across from mac donalds is a very small shop called COOL POINT you have to keep looking on the right its very small if you walk to fast you will miss it the tattoo artist is called MR KUNG.

there was no transfers done at all very clean and amazing the best place you could ever go for a traditinal bamboo tattoo i only went to watch my girl friend get hers covered up and i came out with a green and red dragon from my knee to my shoulder and across my chest and the best thing is its all unique very clean and there such a nice couple i had 3 days of having lunch brought for me and i was made to feel right at home

i was so impressed with what mr kung( cool point ) did with my girl friends cover up that i just told him i wanted a dragon and what size and the eye colour and left every thing down to him as i said at the beggining amazing
    and hes a tattoo artist not a bloke who copys a transfer

my tattoo cost 55,000 bht (£1,110) and well worth it every 1 says its extreamly well done and 3 days ,22 hours of pain well worth it and it heals so fast

it would be stupid to go any where else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

hi there

well me and my girlfriend went to ao nang krabi for a holiday and whilst we was there we both got tattoos with bamboo just across from mac donalds is a very small shop called COOL POINT you have to keep looking on the right its very small if you walk to fast you will miss it the tattoo artist is called MR KUNG.

there was no transfers done at all very clean and amazing the best place you could ever go for a traditinal bamboo tattoo i only went to watch my girl friend get hers covered up and i came out with a green and red dragon from my knee to my shoulder and across my chest and the best thing is its all unique very clean and there such a nice couple i had 3 days of having lunch brought for me and i was made to feel right at home

i was so impressed with what mr kung( cool point ) did with my girl friends cover up that i just told him i wanted a dragon and what size and the eye colour and left every thing down to him as i said at the beggining amazing
    and hes a tattoo artist not a bloke who copys a transfer

my tattoo cost 55,000 bht (£1,110) and well worth it every 1 says its extreamly well done and 3 days ,22 hours of pain well worth it and it heals so fast

it would be stupid to go any where else

any pics of that badboy?

yeah if you couls let me know how to get around the silly rule of 25 msgs to post picture i would be happy to show you

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Kitsune9tails

put a link to it

this is the tattoo with out the green i will get close ups and post them soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Your original post reads like a spam to be honest... :eek:

Hard to tell how good the tattoo is from that pic, looks pretty good though. Look forward to seeing the close-up pics.

• Advertisement

this is the red shadding i still had all the scales done in green so not even half way done still more piccies to follow

here are some more and some of my girlfriends flowers when finished as you can see by the detail the bloke who did it was a genius

guys as you can see from some of the pics with the bloke in thats doing the tattoo its a very small and delicate process so and to make not 1 needle mark outta place is remarkable

Advertisement