Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

breakdown cover

• 22-05-2008 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

anyone know the best breakdown policy for campers? Need one for europe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

A company called Mondial provide Motorhome breakdown cover, I'm not sure if it's run through the clubs or you can deal direct. I thinks it costs around €100/year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Cathal10

thanks,
    as you may know from an earlier thread, I'm no longer a member of that wonderful club.
    AA seem reluctant to touch anything over 8 years, so at a loss really

Lets not go there again ;) You could check their website and see if they deal direct.
    I got some info from http://www.internationalbreakdown.com/html/VAN_motorhome.html a few weeks back, They might accept business for over here but I didn't pay much attention to their prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I'm pretty sure we got European breakdown cover with our insurance package from Dolmen.

I don't have the file to hand but will post the details when I find it.

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭paddyb

I have breakdown cover with my insurance from dolmen. thats the cheapest way to go about it

• Advertisement

Like everything you probably get what you pay for. There's difference levels of cover and I understand that the likes of Mondial will tow you back to Ireland if needed. Breakdown assist will probably get you to a garage and leave you there. I'm sure they all have small print. It's certainly worth asking all the necessary quetions before taking out a policy.
    Open to correction on the above and currently awaiting a brochure to read the finer detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

What every type of European cover you get you need to check what is the maximum length and weight they will cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 muttsnutts1

Mondial are the only people who will recover a motorcaravan back to Ireland from continental Europe and they only deal with the motorcaravan club The RAC will do it but it can take 3 months and the cost is very expensive almost €400 for a 2 week trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Mondial are the only people who will recover a motorcaravan back to Ireland from continental Europe and The RAC will do it but it can take 3 months and the cost is very expensive almost €400 for a 2 week trip

I'm not sure if this is correct,I just spoke to someone at mondial and says its no problem to do business with them direct...

She's sending some lit out for me to read as I want to make sure exactly what you are covered for but in brief it seems that 95euro per year will get you european road side assist

garage recovery(150 miles)

overnight costs(200 Ire/300 europe)

possibility of courtesy car(with a raft of conditions!)

tow back to ireland(only if your van would take 3 weeks or more to put right)

for this price it seems good value to me..

Got their booklet last week and it seems fairly good. One thing I noticed is that they can't help you on the French motorways as it's a private operator that looks after them. I'm not sure if you'd incur an additional charge from a private operator for this service. Another thing is that a certificate of roadworthyness on your vehicle is required. I don't have one of those but due to get my timing belt done in the next few weeks so might get one too.

• Advertisement

I take my last post back and eat it!! Just received an email from mondial saying that their policy IS ONLY THROUGH the motorcaravan club!! So much for the girl I talked to...:rolleyes:

Hi Stapeler,how do you go about getting a cert of roadworthyness?

Thanks Aerosol

aerosol wrote: »
    Hi Stapeler,how do you go about getting a cert of roadworthyness?

Thanks Aerosol

I service my MH myself but prefer to leave timing belts etc. to the experts, I'm hoping the mechanic will give it the onceover and write a cert. Anyone else got any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

If you go to a garage doing commercial vehicle D.O.E. testing, I believe this cert will do the job.Don't know the cost of this test.

corkbuoy wrote: »
    If you go to a garage doing commercial vehicle D.O.E. testing, I believe this cert will do the job.Don't know the cost of this test.
    Good idea, I'm getting my timing belt done in the next couple of weeks so will try local chap first. Failing that I'll go the DOE centre.
    I'm still debating on whether or not to get breakdown cover. What's the worst that can happen? My only breakdown experience so far was a turbo problem a few years back, made it to a garage who indicated turbo was gone. Got under and found hose clip had snapped, I replaced with one from my box of tricks in the boot.

doe round ours is euro 85. Don't know if my van would pass on emisions though!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

stapeler wrote: »
    I'm still debating on whether or not to get breakdown cover. What's the worst that can happen? My only breakdown experience so far was a turbo problem a few years back, made it to a garage who indicated turbo was gone. Got under and found hose clip had snapped, I replaced with one from my box of tricks in the boot.

You don't really need breakdown cover for that.

But what if something like the gearbox goes that can't be repaired there and then within a day or two?

There you are with your whole family and half your household and not a suitcase in sight ...how do you get home? What happens to your van and all the stuff?

That's the time you wish you had comprehensive breakdown cover.

peasant wrote: »
    You don't really need breakdown cover for that.

But what if something like the gearbox goes that can't be repaired there and then within a day or two?

There you are with your whole family and half your household and not a suitcase in sight ...how do you get home? What happens to your van and all the stuff?

That's the time you wish you had comprehensive breakdown cover.

agree completely,its the family bit that does it for me,If it was just me n the missus I don't think I'd spend the pennies but with the kids its a different matter... Just to have that piece of mind I need cover even for here in Ireland,never even thought of the lack of suitcase!

You're selling a strong argument:D... I hate the cost of peace of mind:D ah shur what's another hundred euro to an insurance company....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I don't have any breakdown cover ..at all, at all :o

(But I don't have a family either, just dogs and because of them we won't leave the island anyway ...worst case scenario is a bus ticket to Sligo and come back with the van to pick the whole gaggle up)

piece of mind usually always costs you something:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

D.O.E test costs €86. Around my way (Wicklow) you need to give 2-3 weeks notice.

Advertisement