Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Blue-ing?

Options
  • 22-05-2008 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Would anyone know where I could get my pump action re-blued.
    The barrel and the mag need re-bluing, I thought I had put them away in a nice dry spot but the old murphys law came into play and a leak into the gun cabnet through the hole in the wall that the anchor bolt was fixed into done a nice job of rusting it.
    The inside is fine, just the outside is a mess.
    Any gun smiths or gun shops in the kildare / laois /offaly maybe dublin area that could do this?

Help much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

kildarejoe wrote: »
    Would anyone know where I could get my pump action re-blued.
    The barrel and the mag need re-bluing, I thought I had put them away in a nice dry spot but the old murphys law came into play and a leak into the gun cabnet through the hole in the wall that the anchor bolt was fixed into done a nice job of rusting it.
    The inside is fine, just the outside is a mess.
    Any gun smiths or gun shops in the kildare / laois /offaly maybe dublin area that could do this?

Help much appreciated.

Joe , the only thing i can think of is that James mcbride of Ballykeeran sports, uses a gunsmith who is quite adept at blueing, a talk with him may help-if you wish to go down that route pm me and ill pm you his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

John Conroy in Portlaoise should be able to sort you out, his work is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

I know this not exactly what you were asking but if your willing to do it yourself East Coast Dog and Gun sell various forms of bluing compound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Went through this before with a pre-war Walther .22. I bought the rifle for half nothing it has to be said. It had been poorly treated and had a lot of rust on barrell in particular. I left it in with Watts of Dublin to be cleaned up, checked over and reblued.
    When I got the gun back it looked great and shot well. The guy in the shop explained that rebluing would not cover up the pits in the metal but would take the bad look off them. He also explained that the steel used in some makes of guns had a predisposition to rust. The better manufacturers using steel with a chromium or silver content to improve rust resistance.
    However, within two years the rust reappeared like a bad dose of acne, springing up in the same areas again. It was not worth the effort & expense and I ended up letting that rifle go (for half nothing!)
    I dont know what your pump-action is worth but a decent rebluing job involves a LOT of work and will be expensive. Might you be better off just buying a new or good s/h gun? Also, check if your household insurance covers you, water damage right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If it's superficial rust get cracking with a non-soapy fine brillo pad and good quality fine gun or machine oil. You're going to be amazed how much you'll lift.

• Advertisement
Advertisement