Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Licence Question

• 22-05-2008 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭

Quick question about windows licences.

Say I have built a new PC, and I install windows from a disk that came with my old computer. Provided I no longer use and uninstall said copy of Windows from the old PC, is it legal to transfer the licence to another machine?

If not, if I buy a retail or OEM copy for my new machien, can that be transferred in the same was as suggested above in the future? The difference being it would not be a disk provided by a manufacturer.

I'm aware that selling licenses sperately is illegal (i.e. money changing hands for COA labels) but this is a licence I already own. This whole area is stupidly grey but that's a matter for consumer issues so I won't bore you by venting :)

Opinions (or fact, preferably :p) appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on what kind of disk came with your old PC. OEM editions are not transferable, period. When the PC is gone, the licence is gone. In some cases, once the motherboard dies, the licence is gone, even if you still have the rest of the PC.

If you purchase an OEM licence for your current machine, that licence is bound to that machine. If you buy a retail licence, that licence is transferable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Actually thats not entirely true, a few months back i called microsoft e-open to get advice on this. From what they told me all XP and Vista OEM licences can be transfered to a new motherboard. Which i then tried myself a few weeks ago and sure enoughm after a 10 min call to MS they sorted me out re-installing my Vista OEM onto a whole new PC.

The only real difference is that MS dont offer support if you have an OEM licence, which has always been the case. But these days you can just buy yourself an OEM copy of the OS from several online places.
    Its all boils down to you just having no support at all.

I know i read it on the net about the licences working this way now, i will try find it and link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Some interesting input lads, thanks. The wise course of action may be to give MS a call myself - although it's no longer an issue as the licence in question (COA label that is) was accidentaly disposed of. The reason I asked was my adverts ad which gave rise to some debate.

If indeed they've made the licenses transferrable (albeit with f*** all support for OEM) then it's a much fairer system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I believe they're only transferrable in the event that your motherboard chokes and dies. Strictly speaking, an OEM license is bound to the hardware it's installed on. But if your motherboard dies on you, and you need to get a new one, they tend to let you reinstall it if you call them up and explain your circumstances.

Other than that, I don't think you can move an OEM verson of windows to an entirely new machine.

That said, it only costs about €90 or so from an online electronics retailer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I believe they're only transferrable in the event that your motherboard chokes and dies. Strictly speaking, an OEM license is bound to the hardware it's installed on. But if your motherboard dies on you, and you need to get a new one, they tend to let you reinstall it if you call them up and explain your circumstances.
    believe they're only transferrable in the event that your motherboard chokes and dies. AND is replaced under warranty by the original manufacturer

Don't forget the person you ring probably doesn't work for microsoft as they out source a lot of stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

believe they're only transferrable in the event that your motherboard chokes and dies. AND is replaced under warranty by the original manufacturer

Correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Strictly speaking, an OEM license is bound to the hardware it's installed on
    ... keep the mouse :p ..

I haven't had any issues re-activating any version of windows if you tell MS your machine croaked and you needed to replace parts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

deevey wrote: »
    ... keep the mouse :p ..

I haven't had any issues re-activating any version of windows if you tell MS your machine croaked and you needed to replace parts.
    That is fraud.

Advertisement