Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding -Selling your firearm privately

Options
  • 22-05-2008 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭

I have sold several firearms over the years without handing them into firearm dealers. I just wrote a note stating the sale details to the buyer, he used this note to apply at his Garda Station and I gave the firearm to the buyer when they produced the cert. I then surrendered my cert at my local station.

A colleague in work's Dad was told that the bloke who was selling him his rifle privately must hand it in to a firearm dealer, nonsense I say, but just to check, has anything changed of late (like in the last few months) that I've missed?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

G17 wrote: »
    I have sold several firearms over the years without handing them into firearm dealers. I just wrote a note stating the sale details to the buyer, he used this note to apply at his Garda Station and I gave the firearm to the buyer when they produced the cert. I then surrendered my cert at my local station.

A colleague in work's Dad was told that the bloke who was selling him his rifle privately must hand it in to a firearm dealer, nonsense I say, but just to check, has anything changed of late (like in the last few months) that I've missed?

Thanks.
    not that ive noticed, as long as you hold a cert your entitled to hold the
    firearm and if the purchaser is issued with a cert for same, then its just a case of passing it over-some of the more legally minded guys will offer up
    better info later methinks, but i am of the same opinion as yourself.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I could be entirely wrong, but as far as I know, as long as your cert hasn't expired, then you can hold onto it until the sale is done. If you're not licensing it however, it obviously has to go into a dealership. Like I say, could be entirely wrong, but I don't think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I bought a shotgun in Febuary from a local farmer he had a curent license for the gun. I went to the Kilkenny City FO who told me to just get a letter of sale from the farmer with all the details about the shotgun and apply for my license for the gun through the KK Garda station.
    It took 12 weeks for my license to come and then I showed the farmer my current license for his gun, paid him the dosh and that was that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I don't know of any restrictions on the private sale of firearms except the obvious licencing requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

The guy who bought mine needed me to hand in a note to my Garda to say it had been handed into a gunsmith and when my Garda cleared it (somehow) off my record the cert was issued to him. Sounded like a load of arse to me but the new cert was not coming out without that being done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 a4775

there are no restrictions on selling your gun privatelyyou give the person you are selling it to a letter to say you are are selling it
    then he applies for a licence and only after you get a copy of his licence do you give him the gun

its extremely important that the buyer has the licence and you have a copy
    if you give the gun to someone without a licence and it turns up in a robbery or something, then you are in deep ****
    you most likely wont ever be allowed to have a gun again

it is handier to give it in to a dealer and let him handle it
    but if you want to do it privately there is no restrictions

Advertisement