Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions

Options
  • 22-05-2008 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

New to the board, been shooting for a while, mostly my trusty .22 CZ or beretta 12ga and just have a couple of questions;

1) Whats the situation with getting a second shotgun FAC is is easier or the same process as the first one?
    2) I'd like to try pistol shooting again (had a 92F in 9mm when i lived in the states) is there a club around the dublin area that is open for membership?

Thanks in advance

Bren

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

As for a second shotgun it should be no problem, just offer up a genuine reason for requiring the second gun, mines was that the first was for hunting and the second was clays,its normally not a problem and i know plenty of shooters with three or four,as long as your request is bonafide
    it should be granted.
    someone else in a better position will answer your second question;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Bren,

On the question of Pistol shooting. It is not really something you can walk in off the street and try.

There are a number of clubs in the Dublin area which have pistol ranges. Some or Air Pistol, some are Rimfire and some are Centrefire rated. Some are indoor and some are outdoor.
    There is a wiki around here somewhere which lists them all.

As far as I know all the clubs are open for membership. It is not, however, a simply commercial transaction.

(If you wish to join the University clubs you meed to have attended or worked for the college in question)

Personally, I am a member of Hilltop (www.pcquad.com). If you were interested in joining Hilltop, I'd book in to shoot some clays with your trusty beretta or shoot the benchrest rifle with your trusty cz. That way you'll get to have a look at the club and the club will get to have a look at you.

If you are deemed to be safe in your handling of what you already have and in your dealings with Range Officers and others you could then progress to pistol shooting. Plenty of people do not manage this.

You will not, however, start with centrefire pistols such as 9mm. Having had one in the states in no way proves that you know how to handle it - their criteria for ownership are too loose.
    You would start with rimfire revolver and then progress to rimfire SA. Then
    centrefire revolver and finally centrefire SA.
    In that way you will learn and become accurate and safe with the smaller calibres first.

To get a pistol license, you will need pistol club membership - see above. You will also need a sign-off by your local crime prevention officer who will inspect your house and security setup. Once you have both of these your license application can be forwarded to you local superintendent. This entire process can take some time and is by no means guaranteed. This is evidenced by the fact that since the facility has been available - i.e. 4 years, a measly ~1300 licenses have been issued. My own license took almost 10 months.

I am unsure what security setup you have at home but unless it is quite recent you are going to require some security upgrades such as safes and monitored alarms.

Hope it helps,

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Hi,

I have not shot since the FCA was still called the FCA.

I would like to develop a sporting interest/pastime, but not golf , so I was thinking of shooting.

But where to start ?

Your opinions please.

Rgds

RT

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Hi,

I have not shot since the FCA was still called the FCA.

I would like to develop a sporting interest/pastime, but not golf , so I was thinking of shooting.

But where to start ?

Your opinions please.

Find your nearest club, go and chat to them and see the kind of shooting they do. If it looks like it would interest you then the members in the club should be able to advise you pretty well from there. If it doesn't interest you then maybe post back here with something like:

"I went to Club X and they do Y kind of shooting. It didn't really appeal to me because Z. Any suggestions?"

and that should give us plenty to work on.

Do you know roughly what kind of shooting you'd be interested in? Target shooting? Hunting? Rifle? Pistol? Shotgun?

There's a list of some of the clubs on the wiki. Here are their locations in map form.

Advertisement