Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile phone software (GPS)

Options
  • 22-05-2008 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭

I bought GPS software for my phone from Route 66 about 4 months ago. The phone I installed it on got damaged so I attempted to put it on a similar phone but fell foul of their licensing agreement( which I forgot to read when I purchased the software) which states that the software is licensed to the phone its first installed on and won't let me install it on another phone without proof of purchase of a new phone(havn't got, as a mate gave me his old phone) and proof that the first phone was damaged which I can't get and Vodaphone won't supply this, as the phone wasn't insured and they say(probably correctly) that its nothing to do with them.Surely, the software is licensed to me and not the device I install it on.I don't know if anyone has any advice on this but i could do with some. If nothing else,from now on , I read the small print

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Well if its anything like Windows licensing, its one licence, one machine. As you say, it pays to read the small print on this stuff, and in fairness, they do give you a few ways to obtain a reuse of the software. Which I doubt MS would do for you with your windows os when your PC goes belly up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Totally off topic. Sorry OP. Oryx read the Windows licenses.
    From http://download.microsoft.com/documents/useterms/Windows%20Vista_Home%20Basic_English_2cd69850-7680-4987-8b1e-59a3d405c074.pdf
    for Vista
    Section 15 says how you can transfer your license.

If it's an OEM version that's different but you paid a drastically reduced price for the OEM version.

That's no use to you though OP. Sorry about that.

Can you not send them a photo of your damaged phone. They might accept that as proof.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thats what I get for only ever skimming earlier licence agreements. Thank you for the correction.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I bought GPS software for my phone from Route 66 about 4 months ago. The phone I installed it on got damaged so I attempted to put it on a similar phone but fell foul of their licensing agreement( which I forgot to read when I purchased the software) which states that the software is licensed to the phone its first installed on and won't let me install it on another phone without proof of purchase of a new phone(havn't got, as a mate gave me his old phone) and proof that the first phone was damaged which I can't get and Vodaphone won't supply this, as the phone wasn't insured and they say(probably correctly) that its nothing to do with them.Surely, the software is licensed to me and not the device I install it on.I don't know if anyone has any advice on this but i could do with some. If nothing else,from now on , I read the small print

Of course you can transfer the license, just ring them and explain the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Been emailing them for over a week now. They're refusing to transfer the license without proof from my phone provider that I've purchased a new phone(see original post). I'm really close to giving up on it tbh. Great satnav but I don't think I'll ever go near Route 66 again. Feel really burned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement