Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower leaking over kitchen ceiling

Options
  • 22-05-2008 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

There are water stains on kitchen ceiling from shower in ensuite upstairs.
    Looking for a good tiler to re-grout tiles & apply sealer round the shower tray - one with good track record but reasonably priced. Required in Dublin 15 area. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Would u not give it a go yourself ? Tiling isn't that hard and applying sealer is a piece of cake ! Unless the whole room has to be retiled ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

Zorba wrote: »
    Would u not give it a go yourself ? Tiling isn't that hard and applying sealer is a piece of cake ! Unless the whole room has to be retiled ?

make sure its not comming from the trap.......ive had to replace a few of these recently and had to get access from the room below trough the ceiling under the shower tray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 esied

Thanks for replies. I have tried already to use sealer with a gun. The space is quite tight so its hard to get it done well. I think I limited the amount of water on the ceiling below. My daughter insists in having 45 mins showers so this adds to the amount of damp coming through. My DIY skills are only fair & grouting tiles is something I have never tackled. I feel I need a professional to do it. I feel concerned now by "northdublin's" reply - sounds like the leak could be underneath the shower trap if I picked up properly on it. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

esied, you need to make sure that the trap is not leaking. The way to do this is to direct the shower hose into the outlet in the tray and then check the ceiling below. Make sure that the water only goes down the outlet and not over the shower enclosure walls. If water does not appear then you can be sure the problem is not with the shower but the tiles / grout / sealer / door. There are so many things that can go wrong with showers and in my opinion tiles should not be used in a shower enclosure. Just this week i had to replace a ceiling in a house due to the trap not being screwed fully to the bottom of the shower tray and this house is only 5 years old! I would suggest to anyone renovating or replacing a shower tray to use a one piece shower unit where the tray is moulded to the walls and cannot leak ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Tradesman

I totally agree with you a sealed unit is the job .

There is too much movement in the timer used for ceiling joists , expansion & contraction with the weather makes it impossible to get it right. One pinhole in the grout is enough for the water to do damage.

I know all in one units appear expensive but the amount of time spent messing with tiles makes up the cost fairly quickly when the tiles go wrong

• Advertisement
Advertisement