Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science or Computing in DIT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

there's an XNA lab going into kevin street? i've been away far too long.

hope they're not converting a 4th year lab for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Cremo wrote: »
    there's an XNA lab going into kevin street? i've been away far too long.

hope they're not converting a 4th year lab for that.

That was the plan Cremo, either its going there or over in Aungier Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

congrats, on getting what you needed, say goodbye to ****ty education forever.

think you can accept offers from 6am on monday, yes.

\o/

Thank you Cremo!

It is going to be so strange waking up at 6:30 to find myself, on what could be the mouste important click ive ever clicked on my mouse!(pun intended)

If all goes well I will hit my refresh button repetitively,over and over, otherwise, I shall find myself in Pc World shopping for a new pc screen as it would be F***ed out the window.
    again congrats, now get off the internet and celebrate your results and leaving school forever :D \o/
    Aww celebrations were brilliant, I had around 40 people raving on down at my gaff then we hit the seaside, wow crazy night, im still recovering lol, hopefully there will be more celebrating next week after results.

" say goodbye to ****ty education forever. "
    lol agreed , what a great country we live in , i mean there is still not a computer subject on the leaving cert , way to help people get ready for college.

Yes, we did computers up until 5th/6th year and I do not see the point on having NO computer subject on the leaving after doing computers for the 1st few years in secondary school. Its the 21st century, what house doesn't have a computer? Who doesnt use the internet? who doesnt have an email address? Computers WILL be brought into our education system, its only a matter of time!

Naikon wrote: »
    "Education" it is:rolleyes:

BaRcOe. well done. You've passed the worst part....believe me.
    Now GTFO from boards and go enjoy yourself.

Thank you Naikon, appreciate it!! :D:D I did GTFO and had a mad deserved Rave.

Is this course in Aungier street?
    If so, or wherever it is, is it nice?

*while touching wood* when does it start? mid/late september?

it's based in kevin street, there are two labs dedicated to computing students over in aungier street campus. also if you like caffeine in coffee based form you'll be over there more often as the coffee is nicer over there as kevin street's coffee is muck served in polystyerine cups.

or if you prefer a nicer tasting caffeine intake get yourself hooked on jolt only from a can.

also computer scienctists should never buy in pc world :D, unless it's really necessary.

also be aware there's probably going to be about 20,000 other students checking the CAO website at the same time, if they are like the majority of irish companies with websites expect it to grind to a halt.

have an alternative, find a shop that opens early and sells the irish times.

• Advertisement

it's based in kevin street, there are two labs dedicated to computing students over in aungier street campus. also if you like caffeine in coffee based form you'll be over there more often as the coffee is nicer over there as kevin street's coffee is muck served in polystyerine cups.

or if you prefer a nicer tasting caffeine intake get yourself hooked on jolt only from a can.

also computer scienctists should never buy in pc world :D, unless it's really necessary.

also be aware there's probably going to be about 20,000 other students checking the CAO website at the same time, if they are like the majority of irish companies with websites expect it to grind to a halt.

have an alternative, find a shop that opens early and sells the irish times.

First of all I dont drink Coffe lol, thanks for the heads up though, where can ya get a nice cheap cup of tea? you know how places are these days, garages chargin 2 quid for a cupa;) thats a Gerry Ryan topic really....

ye pcworld was a joke really lol, although I got a nice new Saitek keyboard which lights up in 3 diff colours. I like it! lol

20,000 wow, dats a lot. the irish time? does that list EVERY student on what courses they got?? WOW impressive stuff?

Slightly slagging of Irish owned Business websites?

I suppose this is the result from the lack of computer heads in Ireland?

P.S

Say someone who got 300 had DT228 as there 2nd choice.
    They miss out on their first and are forced to their 2nd. I have 260 and have DT228 as my 1st.
    Do I get priority? This is just something ive been wondering, I dont mean to sound like im freaking out or anything, its just something I am unclear about.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Do I get priority?

nope

sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    That was the plan Cremo, either its going there or over in Aungier Street.

No last time i checked with Bryan Duggan he said they where going to have it in Kevin street, we wanted to get one of the gamesoc students to go along to the meetings about the room and the equiment they where getting , not just xboxs for the xna , but they will order a fair few dell xps desktops from dx10 cards .

Nope they should builded them , thats what i always do , its fun .
    Plus i remember last in DIT, for computer tech subject, we had some old hard drives , so we opened them up , oh the fun spining and flying the platters , also overclocked a processor till it burned itself to the motherboard. (these where all old pcs they where going to throw out of course, and we where learning what *not* to do with hardware :rolleyes:) .

• Advertisement

jolt

Im sure you will be drinking plenty of that this year with your FYP coming up :D

First of all I dont drink Coffe lol, thanks for the heads up though, where can ya get a nice cheap cup of tea? you know how places are these days, garages chargin 2 quid for a cupa;) thats a Gerry Ryan topic really....

20,000 wow, dats a lot. the irish time? does that list EVERY student on what courses they got?? WOW impressive stuff?

kevin street is you best bet then for tea tbh.

the irish times just pints the course name and the first round points for that course. more ink saved and also saves a whole lot of data protection issues that would arise.
    Slightly slagging of Irish owned Business websites?

I suppose this is the result from the lack of computer heads in Ireland?
    yes and no really.

more to do with the designers they get to do the websites and their preferences in where the site is hosted. a cheapo web developer will always go for the cheapest host and therefore may not have the ability to cope with a site getting say 20,000 unique hits (also that figure is just a ballpark figure made up by me judging by how many student sat the LC, it maybe more, maybe less).

So I was on the CAO website and I saw that last year the median for people last year was 300 for course 228.

I got 260. should I be worried? I know I got the requirements, but will I be able to compete with the people who had this course as their 2nd, 3rd, 4th choice///etc, who got more than me, points wise?

Is it normal to be this paranoid?

I am pretty confident about my place in 228 but theres something there thats getting to me, hence I am writing now about this, being worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

i wouldnt be worried if i were you. if you have all the requirements down i shouldn't think you'd have any problems getting in. its not a hugely popular course like arts in ucd or anything so i don't think it'd have a massive list of applicants.
    As for being paranoid, i was the same round that time. Even when you know you'll get in you always have that little lingering doubt that you won't until you get that letter or confirmation that you've made it (well thats the way it was for me)

grimm2005 wrote: »
    i wouldnt be worried if i were you. if you have all the requirements down i shouldn't think you'd have any problems getting in. its not a hugely popular course like arts in ucd or anything so i don't think it'd have a massive list of applicants.
    As for being paranoid, i was the same round that time. Even when you know you'll get in you always have that little lingering doubt that you won't until you get that letter or confirmation that you've made it (well thats the way it was for me)

Ye your right on the fact that its not a hugely popular course and I will have that little lingering doubt for the next couple of days, its only because its such a BIG deal for me. I just want everything to go according to plan and d.i.t looks great!

thanks for replying grimm, you have made me feel better about it!
    ;);)

excuse the paranoia:confused:

BaRcOe, if you get into the course , i think we have to get you very drunk during the first week of college, dont worry you wont miss anything important :D.

And your not the only paranoid person , was bored this week cause the gf was away , so i downloaded and watched all 156 esp of the Orignal Twilight zone...........now i am really on edge :eek:

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension. A dimension of sound. A dimension of sight. A dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into...The Twilight Zone"

Level 8 Course Choices:
    1.DT228 Computer Science

The painful wait goes on,
    here I am clicking around boards in a rage of panic, fear and a touch of excitement.

Oh how one will be shi**ing it before looking at the screen after one clicks the 'Offer/accept button':rolleyes::eek::eek::eek:

Level 8 Course Choices:
    1.DT228 Computer Science

The painful wait goes on,
    here I am clicking around boards in a rage of panic, fear and a touch of excitement.

Oh how one will be shi**ing it before looking at the screen after one clicks the 'Offer/accept button':rolleyes::eek::eek::eek:

best bet is to try do other things, but yea it can be hard , i have been there and done that twice , funny thing was it worked out differently then i thought both times , and i am glad it did :D .

DT228 Computer Science is 230 this year

I got 260 plus the requirement in maths? I dont understand!??
    this is unfair!

Is there any chance of me getting in 2nd round?:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

DT228 Computer Science is 230 this year

I got 260 plus the requirement in maths? I dont understand!??
    this is unfair!

Is there any chance of me getting in 2nd round?:eek::eek:

Hmm thats strange... I'd say you might get it in the second round.

No idea why you wouldn't have got it on the first round unless they've upped the requirement for maths

• Advertisement

IRISH LEAVING CERTIFICATE:

MINIMUM ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:

Minimum Number of subjects: 6

2 subjects on Higher Level papers

Minimum Grade in:

Mathematics: Ordinary C3 I got B3

English or Irish: Ordinary D3 Got C1 in English D1 IN IRISH

Compensation Rule:

One Grade E result at Higher Level(is this ANY higher level or english/irish?)( Does this include my E in Business?) will be accepted for the purposes of meeting minimum entry requirements provided the applicant has amongst his / her results: Do I need to meet these minimum entry requirements below?

Three Grade C3 results on Higher Level papers

OR

One Grade C3 and one Grade B3 on Higher Level papers.

The Grade E result will not be counted for points and will not be accepted in any subject which is mandatory at Higher Level.

It will, however, be accepted where a subject is mandatory at Ordinary Level Grade D3.

Tough break man but there is no obvious reason for it if you have met the requirements. Were you offered a different course instead or none at all?

Tough break man but there is no obvious reason for it if you have met the requirements. Were you offered a different course instead or none at all?

Ye well I was depending on this course, I got Computer Engineering in Blanchardstown but thats impossible as I live too far away!

I need this on 2nd round!

P.s I need someone to go over the requirements, up 2 posts^^, just to check. Has the grade E messed up my chances, or does the maths, irish and english grades meet the requirements?

But see its weird because 2 years ago people got in to my course that had failed Biology at Higher and even people who failed Irish so Im not too sure. Maybe someone else might post that they got in on a 2nd Offer?

But see its weird because 2 years ago people got in to my course that had failed Biology at Higher and even people who failed Irish so Im not too sure. Maybe someone else might post that they got in on a 2nd Offer?

ok thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Sorry to hear you didnt get what you wanted.

Do you have 2 higher C3s, thats why i didnt get any lvl 8 offers when i did my LC.

those requirments you posted are pretty confusing :confused:

Spunge wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you didnt get what you wanted.

Do you have 2 higher C3s, thats why i didnt get any lvl 8 offers when i did my LC.

those requirments you posted are pretty confusing :confused:

ye i know they really are confusing. its the 'Compensation Rule:' that confuses me!

I dont have 2 higher C3s.

I was on the official COMPUTER SCIENCE Webpage and the requirements at the bottom say this.

Min Number of Subjects: 6
    Min Number of Honours:2
    Min Grade in Maths: OC3
    Min Grade in English or Irish: OD3

I have them requirements!

ye i know they really are confusing. its the 'Compensation Rule:' that confuses me!

I was on the official COMPUTER SCIENCE Webpage and the requirements at the bottom say this.

Maybe they made an error? Could you ring up the CAO office and ask them about it? Or maybe even DIT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I dont have 2 higher C3s.

did you get offered any other lvl 8 ?

• Advertisement

Spunge wrote: »
    did you get offered any other lvl 8 ?

no :eek:

Im just gonna have to wait for the likes of cremo and them to get on cause they should know for definate.

Advertisement