Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science or Computing in DIT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

BaRcOe wrote: »
    ye i know they really are confusing. its the 'Compensation Rule:' that confuses me!

I dont have 2 higher C3s.

I was on the official COMPUTER SCIENCE Webpage and the requirements at the bottom say this.

Min Number of Subjects: 6
    Min Number of Honours:2
    Min Grade in Maths: OC3
    Min Grade in English or Irish: OD3

I have them requirements!

Can you post your results here? Just so we can get a better understanding of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

My grades are as follows

Irish(H)- D1
    English(H)- C1
    Maths(O)- B3
    Geography(H)- D1
    French(O)- C1
    Tech Drawing(O)- D1
    Business(H)- E

This adds up to 260 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

i think you need 2 Higher C3s to get into any Honours degree.
    Thats why i didnt get into one, anyway.

Dont understand that compensation stuff at all though :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

You didnt meet the compensation requirements because of the E you got and you didnt get 2 Higher C3s. Thats probably why it wasnt offered to you.

so much for 2nd round, im screwed! why does life have to suck!

looks like im repeating
    F************

• Advertisement

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    You didnt meet the compensation requirements because of the E you got and you didnt get 2 Higher C3s. Thats probably why it wasnt offered to you.

Yeh was just going to say that. You need 2 higher C3s in subjects other than Maths, English and Irish.

Pity. Apply for a PLC course in and do that for 2 years and then go straight into 2nd year. Means that you still get something other than a repeat leaving cert.

Ask project mayhem what he did.

orla wrote: »
    Yeh was just going to say that. You need 2 higher C3s in subjects other than Maths, English and Irish.

Pity. Apply for a PLC course in and do that for 2 years and then go straight into 2nd year. Means that you still get something other than a repeat leaving cert.

Ask project mayhem what he did.

thanks for the help orla,

Ye i find all this plc stuff fairly complicated. Who to contact, where to go, when to go, what course to do...etc

I will need to do Major research!!

If project mayhem could get back to me that would be great! or if someone could give me his/her email i wud be greatful!

Do you think if I email Sarah Jane, she will direct me in the right path in terms of what plc to do...etc?

p.s my mam is going nuts saying I have to repeat, ahhhh!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

If project mayhem could get back to me that would be great! or if someone could give me his/her email i wud be greatful!
    only reading this now as i iz unemployed, **** sorry to hear you didn't get it :(.

you can contact ProjectMayham through boards pm from his user profile

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=17023

yes definitely do not repeat. screw that.

as said above there is a lvl 6 fetac course in computers(i think theres one in crumlin college), its 2 years long and when you complete that you can get straight into 2nd year computer science dit.

Also i did a lvl 5 fetac course in computer programming which was one year long and that got me into the computing degree in dit and its also eligible for computer science degree, they have places allocated for these people.

whichever you choose they are fun because they are pretty relaxed, mostly continous assesment and not hard at all, pretty stress free which is about a thousand times better than repeating the feckin leaving cert.

p.s my mam is going nuts saying I have to repeat, ahhhh!!

Dont repeat whatever you do. Its a waste of time learning them useless subjects again. Your better of doing a PLC course for a year or two because at least that way you will be learning IT skills that will help you when you get in to college.

• Advertisement

Ok I am going to research the whole plc thing so any links/advice would be great as I have no clue how it works!:rolleyes:

If I am going to go the plc route, I am going to need to get in contact with places asap for available places/inteviews..etc

Aww this sucks, I know I am better then people who got my course today! They prob learned more shakespeare than me but they know f*** all about computers and this is Computer Science, makes no sence in my head! Also I was never told I needed 2 c3's in 2 higher subjects! god damn!

I Think I should start a new thread on this because its plc's I will be discussing more than this course itself!
    what do you think

can you get re-checks to maybe get those D1s to C3s.

I tried the same myself i had two D1s but they didnt get put up.

Spunge wrote: »
    can you get re-checks to maybe get those D1s to C3s.

I tried the same myself i had two D1s but they didnt get put up.

Oh ehm well its worth a try but do you have to view scripts to get a re-check or can I just send them away to be rechecked without me having to see them because I am going away next Sunday and won't be here on the sessions of viewing.

i think the viewing one of your teachers looks at the papers and tells you if its worth getting checked.

Personally i didnt bother going to the viewing i just got them checked. But obviously they werent worth viewing but i probably would have got them checked anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eccentric Toast

I just looked at my CAO and was not offered my 1st choice computer science or any other level 8 courses and i filled all my choices up i did a level 5 plc course for the last year and thought i did good but i only got one offer and that was a lvl 7 in Science Computing in ITT anyone know in the second round if i might get offered a higher course from a 8
    I got

5 Disitinctions
    3 Merits
    1 Pass

The course was Computer Network Maintenance in Colaiste Ide

i think you should email the course head of computer science and ask them about your results and if you can get in at all. eccentric toast.

keen emailed me about COLÁISTE DHÚLAIGH 'FETAC Award (Level 5 and Level 6 – CITXX)'

it says in it that
    'Successful students may progress to the second year of the Computer Science/Software Development Degree in Kevin Street, DIT.'

Does anyone else know about this?

I just looked at my CAO and was not offered my 1st choice computer science or any other level 8 courses and i filled all my choices up i did a level 5 plc course for the last year and thought i did good but i only got one offer and that was a lvl 7 in Science Computing in ITT anyone know in the second round if i might get offered a higher course from a 8
    I got

5 Disitinctions
    3 Merits
    1 Pass

The course was Computer Network Maintenance in Colaiste Ide

Id take the ITT computer science course. I know people who graduated from that course and are no working decent jobs in the Industry so It aint the worst thing in the world.

keen emailed me about COLÁISTE DHÚLAIGH 'FETAC Award (Level 5 and Level 6 – CITXX)'

it says in it that
    'Successful students may progress to the second year of the Computer Science/Software Development Degree in Kevin Street, DIT.'

Does anyone else know about this?

Yeh thats the one project mayhem did and he came into 2nd year. Pretty good course aswell as it teaches you a lot of basics that will help you through DT228

Friend of mine who got 285 in his LC was offered this course today. It was his first choice so hes thrilled.

• Advertisement

orla wrote: »
    Yeh thats the one project mayhem did and he came into 2nd year. Pretty good course aswell as it teaches you a lot of basics that will help you through DT228

Nick also did this course AFAIK.

Ok, well Ive made an appointment with my careers guidance teacher tommorrow at 2, she is very sound, so I hope to be able to decide what im going to do from september on...

thanks to orla, FreeOSCAR, Spunge,ProjectMayham, Cremo and trekkie again.

Im feeling slightly better than I was earlier, I thought my life was over, theres away around it.

a friend of mine linked me up with this.

http://www.bife.ie/courses/n2/

Its 1 year. Could this get me into d.i.t?

Question for Cremo or/and Orla.

Im thinking about heading off somewhere for the week beginning 22nd September. I'll be 3rd year. is there anything significant ill be missing for that week? It will be from the Monday - Friday. I dont mind labs or lectures really as I can catch up with them no problem.

Thinking along lines of choices, work exp, announcements.

In 2nd year the first week mainly involved students pleading with BOS could they carry subjects. Is 3rd no different?

a friend of mine linked me up with this.

http://www.bife.ie/courses/n2/

Its 1 year. Could this get me into d.i.t?

also on the same site, this is the course that got me into the computing degree year 1, also applies to computer science degree
    http://www.bife.ie/courses/n1/

about the one you linked id email some of the dit heads of computing and ask, coz it might be even better considering its lvl 6

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Question for Cremo or/and Orla.

Im thinking about heading off somewhere for the week beginning 22nd September. I'll be 3rd year. is there anything significant ill be missing for that week? It will be from the Monday - Friday. I dont mind labs or lectures really as I can catch up with them no problem.

Thinking along lines of choices, work exp, announcements.

In 2nd year the first week mainly involved students pleading with BOS could they carry subjects. Is 3rd no different?
    afaik there is nothing crucially important in the first week of third year, you'll have to forgive me for not remembering that well it's been a long year since then.

the first mention of work placement was in october where we're given a CV prep class.

with regards to stream choices you don't really have to make your mind up on that until you register for exams. I did all three streams until i registered for exams because CSAA was piss easy imo.

Cremo wrote: »
    afaik there is nothing crucially important in the first week of third year, you'll have to forgive me for not remembering that well it's been a long year since then.

the first mention of work placement was in october where we're given a CV prep class.

with regards to stream choices you don't really have to make your mind up on that until you register for exams. I did all three streams until i registered for exams because CSAA was piss easy imo.

Thanks Cremo, and most them lecturers post their notes up anyways?

5 out of the 6 lecturers post their notes online.

Spunge wrote: »
    also on the same site, this is the course that got me into the computing degree year 1, also applies to computer science degree
    http://www.bife.ie/courses/n1/

about the one you linked id email some of the dit heads of computing and ask, coz it might be even better considering its lvl 6

ye i heard it can get you straight into 2nd year of the comp sci in dit

• Advertisement

yeh it looks like a good feeder course into computer science, i would definitely email Sarah-Jane about it thought just to be on the safe side.

Advertisement