Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science or Computing in DIT

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

I emailed her earlier about the course in general, she must be a busy woman.
    Ah well, I'll wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yep, she is an extremely busy woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Ah well, I'll wait!

Yeh chances are she's going to have 100's of people emailing her. Leave it a few days and then send a reminder email.

As I have already stated this course in Bray Institute of Further Education is meant to be suitable for Computer science in D.i.t

Is it normal to be able to spend only 1 year in a further education and then get in to 2nd year in an hons degree course such as dt228? Has anyone heard of someone spending only a year in furth education be4 getting into 2nd/1st year?

I know sarah J is de person to contact about that but have you ever heard anything like it? I am going to pop into bray inst tommorow and inquire about it.

As I have already stated this course in Bray Institute of Further Education is meant to be suitable for Computer science in D.i.t

Is it normal to be able to spend only 1 year in a further education and then get in to 2nd year in an hons degree course such as dt228? Has anyone heard of someone spending only a year in furth education be4 getting into 2nd/1st year?

I know sarah J is de person to contact about that but have you ever heard anything like it? I am going to pop into bray inst tommorow and inquire about it.

TBH i've never heard of anyone only doing a one year course and then getting into second year of DT228. It would more than likely secure you a place in first year but not second year.

• Advertisement

ye i knew it was too good to be true.

DT228
    Computer Science

Places Available: 5

CITXX - Information Technology FIVE DISTINCTIONS WHICH MUST INCLUDE

C20012 Computer Architecture AND

C20013 Computer Programming

this is what I need to get the Fetac award.

hmm....

Just go to which ever one Project Mayhem went to. That course is designed to put you into second year of DT228.

Mind you, you might end up with the same attitude problem he has but your classmates will soon beat that out of you.

orla wrote: »
    the same attitude problem he has .

he does?

Ye Ive been talking to him about the whole thing. The course is out in coolock which is very far away from me. if needs be done i might have no choice.
    I worked out it will take me a bus(10 mins) the dart (40 mins) and then another bus(40 mins). aw oh, im sure ill find something

he does?

Ye Ive been talking to him about the whole thing. The course is out in coolock which is very far away from me. if needs be done i might have no choice.
    I worked out it will take me a bus(10 mins) the dart (40 mins) and then another bus(40 mins). aw oh, im sure ill find something

ah no i'm joking. Kev is a pimp !

Best thing to do then is get as much info you can off SJ. If I can i'll email one of my lecturers tomorrow and ask him, he might not be a busy.

something i discovered on qualifax

requirements

2 subjects on Higher Level papers .
    Clearly that doesnt say you dont need an honour in both of em, to me that says 'DO 2 subjects on Higher level!'
    thats it, I did do +2 subjects on higher level papers and passed them nicely

they should have been MORE Specific!

• Advertisement

something i discovered on qualifax

requirements

2 subjects on Higher Level papers .
    Clearly that doesnt say you dont need an honour in both of em, to me that says 'DO 2 subjects on Higher level!'
    thats it, I did do +2 subjects on higher level papers and passed them nicely

Nah hate to burst your bubble but i'd read that as an honour in 2 Higher level subjects. Also i think these are subject other than Irish, English and Maths.

Just going by what I got when I did my leaving. Got an honour is Irish (O),english(h) maths(h), a A2 in Accounting and a B2 in Biology both at higher level.

It was my first choice and I got it first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eccentric Toast

The CAO didnt take my new results into account from my last plc course and i got offered no courses my friend got offered course that i had on my list too we both did the same plc course and i got a few better grades than him what will happen now does anyone know what i should do contact the CAO or the course i want to get into

Nah hate to burst your bubble but i'd read that as an honour in 2 Higher level subjects. Also i think these are subject other than Irish, English and Maths.

Just going by what I got when I did my leaving. Got an honour is Irish (O),english(h) maths(h), a A2 in Accounting and a B2 in Biology both at higher level.

It was my first choice and I got it first time round.

ye i know im only trying to fight it, dont mind me, i must accept it!!

Fair play, u deserved it!
    thanks for the help

The CAO didnt take my new results into account from my last plc course and i got offered no courses my friend got offered course that i had on my list too we both did the same plc course and i got a few better grades than him what will happen now does anyone know what i should do contact the CAO or the course i want to get into

you Need a distinction in both of these

C20012 Computer Architecture AND

C20013 Computer Programming

otherwise i dont know enough to tell you what the problem is

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eccentric Toast

I was told that if you do good enough in a computer orientated course as like with at least 5 distinctions it doesn't have to be that CITXX course. i have a feeling its got to do with the pps number ill have to ring the CAO tomorrow and find out but the lines are packed

I was told that if you do good enough in a computer orientated course as like with at least 5 distinctions it doesn't have to be that CITXX course. i have a feeling its got to do with the pps number ill have to ring the CAO tomorrow and find out but the lines are packed

Emailing them is your best option but by all means try and ring them, I read on my offers letter today that they arent really accepting calls as there has been too many.

Good luck toast!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Cremo wrote: »
    5 out of the 6 lecturers post their notes online.

What subject doesnt get posted up?

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    What subject doesnt get posted up?
    client server programming.

you get the notes in class, the only really important notes in that class are the ones on socket programming but you don't get into socket programming until after the reading week.

i loved that subject was my highest mark in my winter exams. damien is a legend :D

you get the notes in class, the only really important notes in that class are the ones on socket programming but you don't get into socket programming until after the reading week.

i loved that subject was my highest mark in my winter exams. damien is a legend :D

I hated it. Hence why i'm repeating it.

Cool, Damo is a legend, I liked Data Comms last year so if it carries on from that ill be happy. Is it done in C yeh?

Do the other Lecturers post them up on there webpage or webct or moodle?
    I know Patricia uses WebCT, not sure about the rest.

• Advertisement

I hated it. Hence why i'm repeating it.
    yeh it's not an easy course by any means, in fact it's probably the most technical course we've done.

but it really helped me when i went on work placement.
    Cool, Damo is a legend, I liked Data Comms last year so if it carries on from that ill be happy. Is it done in C yeh?

Do the other Lecturers post them up on there webpage or webct or moodle?
    I know Patricia uses WebCT, not sure about the rest.

it's a continuation of data comms but does socket programming for the labs.

yup it's done in C and done in the unix environment, there's no other way to learn socket programming*.

UI programming - webCT
    SE III - webpage
    Games - WebCT
    Software knowledge engineering - WebCT
    Database tech - WebCT
    CSAA - web page
    Client-Server - hand outs in class

*fully aware there are other ways to do sockets, and C isn't necessarily the best, but is the best for learning how sockets work

Thanks again. One last question, what exactly do you do in CSAA? The subject layout etc...

Thanks again. One last question, what exactly do you do in CSAA? The subject layout etc...
    basically it's very simple.

all based in unix of course.

setting up a DNS server
    setting up nfs shares.
    setting up SaMBa shares

actually that's all i can remember from it and they were the "hardest" things on the course. it would take a 20 minute google to be able to set up all of them tbh.

Thank you. Last Question :pac: ... So Client Server Programming is the one to watch?

Thank you. Last Question :pac: ... So Client Server Programming is the one to watch?
    well it differs for people.

it was definitely the most technical subject in third year, but it wasn't hard for me but was for others; i was just able to grasp it. on the other hand UI programming was different for me, i just can't grasp java there's just some i dislike about it although it's simple.

Just letting yous know I am accepting Comp engineering in the ITBlanchardstown.

I am getting my Irish and Geog re-checked anyway, if either of them go up 1 grade from D1's basically I will get an offer for dt228.

otherwise I am going to have to get used to the fact that Im going to ITB. I dont care if the rechecks come back negative because ITB looks like a good course and a decent IT!
    Who knows, i might end up in dt228 yet.

I believe there is no Forum under 'Education' for ITBlanchardstown. It would be handy for me as I am curious about it( who wouldnt be if their going there for college). I presume theres not a big enough demand for an ITB forum? I will just have to right about it under Education, then College.

My career guidance teacher said today that theres no point on me going the FETAC route because I have a decent leaving and it would be a waste! She said I may aswell just get out there into 3rd level and I will be ok.
    I totally agree and I'm happy now with the whole thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Just letting yous know I am accepting Comp engineering in the ITBlanchardstown.

I am getting my Irish and Geog re-checked anyway, if either of them go up 1 grade from D1's basically I will get an offer for dt228.

otherwise I am going to have to get used to the fact that Im going to ITB. I dont care if the rechecks come back negative because ITB looks like a good course and a decent IT!
    Who knows, i might end up in dt228 yet.

I believe there is no Forum under 'Education' for ITBlanchardstown. It would be handy for me as I am curious about it( who wouldnt be if their going there for college). I presume theres not a big enough demand for an ITB forum? I will just have to right about it under Education, then College.

My career guidance teacher said today that theres no point on me going the FETAC route because I have a decent leaving and it would be a waste! She said I may aswell just get out there into 3rd level and I will be ok.
    I totally agree and I'm happy now with the whole thing!

If it eases any curiosities you may have about ITB, a friend of mine graduated there and is now the network administrator for UPS Ireland earning a decent wage with a fancy job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 NiteOwl2

Ah well, I'll wait!

FYI, Sarah Jane Delaney is no longer the course co-ordinator for 228, nor is she even a lecturer in the School of Computing any more. Oliver O'Connor is the course co-ordinator and the person to contact...

http://www.comp.dit.ie/ooconnor/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

well it differs for people.

on the other hand UI programming was different for me, i just can't grasp java there's just some i dislike about it although it's simple.

Java is not a personal favourite for me either:pac:
    Perl,PHP,C and bash/tcsh ftw !

• Advertisement

NiteOwl2 wrote: »
    FYI, Sarah Jane Delaney is no longer the course co-ordinator for 228, nor is she even a lecturer in the School of Computing any more. Oliver O'Connor is the course co-ordinator and the person to contact...

http://www.comp.dit.ie/ooconnor/
    is this for real?

Advertisement