Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launching dinghy-single handed

Options
  • 22-05-2008 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hey, i started dinghy sailing a few months ago(Lasers). Now i'm really into it but i just have one little problem:

When launching on your own from a beach, what's the trick to it?! How do you get the trailer back on the beach without letting the dinghy go(and probably letting it drift out to sea) :confused:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well if its a sand beach there should be no problem just beaching the nose slightly so it wont go away then move the trailer far up enough so it wont get touched by the high tide. If its a stone beach it depends lasers are pretty durable boats but you might end up with some scratch marks. To make it easier dont put the main sheet through the block on the boat till your ready to get into the boat otherwise it could well get pushed off the beah by the wind although it probably wont go to far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

A decent length painter on the bow can help if the wind is offshore. You hold the painter as you pull the trolly up past the waterline. The painter stops the dinghy blowing out to sea. Onshore is having to beach the dingy or having someway of making it secure (small anchors are good for this but not practical on a dinghy like a laser). Best thing to do is get someone else to lend a hand.

Advertisement