Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zombie Animals

• 22-05-2008 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

In several common films and other media (Resident evil in particular) there can often be cases of zombie animals. I was wondering how do these animals actually get infected ?

I have two theories -
    (1) They can become infected by being bitten, same as a human
    If this is the case that means there will be very few zombie animals which is great. The zombies wont have a hope of catching any besides those that are sick/wounded.

(2) They can become infected by consuming some of the rotten zombie flesh
    If this is the case we have a problem.As we all know dogs willeat anything. If theres a supply of zombie carcass around they'll surely have a bite.

If option two is the case I think this may pose a bigger threat than the human zombies. The dogs can move faster, spread easier, smaller than a human makes them harder to hit.

Anyone else have an opinion on this threat ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

im thinking a zombie wyvern would be much much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

who's seen doomsday?
    Couldnt the city mob just have eaten the, like, 2000 cows outside the city??

Zombie animals would be extremely bad for any survival plans. A dog, for instance, could fit through small gaps and a cat, as everyone knows, is unbelievably good at jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

But we all know becoming a zombie makes you a slow bastard.

I assume the same happens to animals, at least it should.

TomCo wrote: »
    But we all know becoming a zombie makes you a slow bastard.

I assume the same happens to animals, at least it should.
    not all zombies are slow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Animals have a different muscular and nervous system to humans so they seem to retain most of their speed. See resident evil for reference.

Either way its not a situation ill be disregarding in my plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

If theory 2 is correct then scavenger birds would pose a serious threat.

Could a zombie bird fly? Quite possibly, although it may fly into a lot more windows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Nerin wrote: »
    not all zombies are slow

I don't rate fast zombies, no purist would.

TomCo wrote: »
    I don't rate fast zombies, no purist would.
    they arent faster. they are at normal speed. or a little slower.
    they arent all shuffling is what im saying.
    certainly not as fast as a were-creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mru

Nerin wrote: »
    not all zombies are slow

what about a zombie cheetah?

• Advertisement

mru wrote: »
    what about a zombie cheetah?
    exactly :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'm sticking with Animals are immune.

armour87 wrote: »
    If theory 2 is correct then scavenger birds would pose a serious threat.

Could a zombie bird fly? Quite possibly, although it may fly into a lot more windows etc.
    resident evil extinction brought my girlfriends 3 phobias together perfectly.
    zombies, birds, and eye gouging.

yes, zombie birds (crows at least) can fly.

Holsten wrote: »
    i hope you are right

Holsten wrote: »
    you'll be sorry when the zombie chihuahuas are nibbling at your ankles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

a cat, as everyone knows, is unbelievably good at jumping.
    Considering human zombies lack the intelligence needed to jump (from one place to another or even on the spot) I doubt that would be a problem.
    Personally, I go by the Brooks Zombie rules, in which Solanum (Zombie Virus) kills infected animals before it reaches the brain so they can't re-animate.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Considering human zombies lack the intelligence needed to jump (from one place to another or even on the spot) I doubt that would be a problem.
    Personally, I go by the Brooks Zombie rules, in which Solanum (Zombie Virus) kills infected animals before it reaches the brain so they can't re-animate.

What would happen if there was no brain? Like if Jessica Simpson got infected?

Is she a zombie already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What about insects who come into contact with zombie flesh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Kess73 wrote: »
    What about insects who come into contact with zombie flesh?

Actually on that point, could a mosquito transmit the virus similar to the way they spread malaria. If they can we could all be ****ed !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

c - 13 wrote: »
    Actually on that point, could a mosquito transmit the virus similar to the way they spread malaria. If they can we could all be ****ed !

If the zombification spreads by a virus, then yes, mosquitos (even if they are unaffected by the virus itself) will be able to spread it.

It's ok though. Just modify the armour you intend to wear so that it prevents mosquito bites (if nothing more they're too annoying to have to deal with while the zombie apocolypse is happening around you).

Then when we finally regain control of the planet we just freeze the bastards* and everythings fine.

*= Am I allowed to curse here? (I feel very strongly about mosquitos.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

If mozzies spread it then we're all fooked :mad:
    I got malaria twice in Africa, and trust me it doesn't matter how well you wrap up and how many sprays you use, they'll nail you in the end. They're just trying to survive after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

c - 13 wrote: »
    According to the guide, there's no risk of that because animals instinctively avoid the infected. Anyway I don't think mosquitos feed on the dead, plus it would probably kill them before they get too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Anyway I don't think mosquitos feed on the dead

Mossys might not but simple house flies would readily lay their eggs on zombies, the eggs hatch the zombie is consumed by the maggots, pretty soon you've a swarm of infected flies on the hunt for any meat they can find, living or dead.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

thought masggots only ate dead meat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Martron wrote: »
    thought masggots only ate dead meat

And the average zombie is what exactly? The skin rots because it is dead meat. This is also why they can burn so well, the dead skin dries out over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

People people let us not forget that true zombie flesh is poisonous to all known animals.
    The creatures in Resident Evil are infected by laboratory made viruses, not solanum which is the cause of actual zombies.

The Umbrella corporation has everything under control.

Advertisement