Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reinstalling Windows?

• 22-05-2008 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Well maybe the title isnt exactly correct but I'm hoping you can help me.

Basically my computer has got really slow recently and i've got fed up with it and i want to remove all the crap on my computer. I was wondering is there a program out there to get rid of everything on the computer (remove things from the registry and what not) and revert it back to what it was like before i installed stuff? I don't want to go to the hassle of finding the windows disc, formatting the computer, etc.

Windows XP btw. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Well maybe the title isnt exactly correct but I'm hoping you can help me.

Basically my computer has got really slow recently and i've got fed up with it and i want to remove all the crap on my computer. I was wondering is there a program out there to get rid of everything on the computer (remove things from the registry and what not) and revert it back to what it was like before i installed stuff? I don't want to go to the hassle of finding the windows disc, formatting the computer, etc.

Windows XP btw. Thanks.

Easiest way is to do a system restore to a point where it was running ok, doesn't always work though but worth a try if u wanna avoid the format. Try defragmenting the hard drive too and get some anti spyware software and make sure there's none on it, and a registery checker type cleaner thingy would help too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

check you have 10-15% space free on the hard drive first
    then system restore
    then have a look at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1009 for tips and tools to scan/clean your pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

download CCleaner, and privacy mantra programs , cleans up pc ,deletes,useless temp files,internet cache,old zip fragments etc.YOU may just have too many games installed ,or old mp3s etc, winxp works fastest with 2gig ram ,at least 1gig free hd space.SOME people fill up the hd,then wonder why winxps ,not as fast as it used to be,you can by usb drive 500gig for 100euros.IT needs space for temp files and file caching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I'd go with CCleaner. I'd also clear out the startup folder (run msconfig, clear out what's not needed - check here)

BTW, do you have Norton or McAfee anti-virus? If you do uninstall now! They are a big resource hog, replace them with either Avast! or AVG.

I reckon a combination of CCleaner & replacing your anti-virus well help big time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

I reinstall my operating system every 6 months, its restores the initial speed of the install and cleans out all the shíte that gets installed. I only really use a core of about 10 applications which i have backed up to external drive so the installation only really takes 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cance wrote: »
    so the installation only really takes 2 hours.
    :eek:
    there are a lot of HDD cloning tools out there, once you get your system setup , back it up , you can then restore the system drive in a few minutes

Advertisement