Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help building gaming pc

Options
  • 22-05-2008 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭

Hey ive been lurking for a while looking for info on how to go about building my first pc but frankly im pretty confused.
    Im currently using a 2 year old laptop that has started to fail and im not bothered trying to get it repaired so i decided the best way to go is build my own desktop that i can upgrade if and when i need to.
    So basically im looking to build a budget PC for around 500 Euros if possible. I'd looking to play mainly WoW on it but also Age of Conan. I also need some good advise on a case and possibly a decent 20"-22" screen. I can handle the keyboard and mouse myself i think:).
    Im a complete beginner at this and have an idea of what exactly i need to build a comp but the models and makes of all the different stuff have been confusing the hell out of me, also im sure if i went off by myself to do it id leave some vital component out or buy the wrong screws etc...
    So please any and all help would be very appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Have you got a target budget for this build?

As for building it yourself, its pretty easy just look up some guides and make sure all the components are compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah i said in the post if possible id be looking to do it for 500 euros with a view to upgrading it when ive more cash. But if its not possible i can probably go higher.
    Im ok on the guides somebody pointed me to Toms Hardware and i can follow the guides easily enough, its just picking out the right components im finding confusing and as you say i want to make sure they are compatible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Ah sorry, I'm blind :D

I'll have a look later for you, see what you can get for 500.

Cheers i noticed a few around 500-600 in the budget gaming thread but im not too sure how good they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

VinLieger wrote: »
    Cheers i noticed a few around 500-600 in the budget gaming thread but im not too sure how good they are?

They can play any game at high details on a 22"

€600 is the perfect price imo, you can get Quad, 8800gt, sli motherboard etc..

nuhggwwtuj1qqxqrs4m_thumb.jpg

€500 you will have to trim a bit..

5f9umsadkca7o6xa1x4_thumb.jpg

€365 incredible value for what you get, great motherboard for overclocking, fast ram, fast hard drive, good graphics, solid power supply and case..

3nufum54xjf1ozc5q6gt_thumb.jpg

All solid systems, with great motherboards, case, good overclockers. depending on your budget you can go wrong.

• Advertisement

Thanks that first one seems perfect.
    Hate to sound like a complete idiot but do all the cables screws etc... come with the components?

Edit: Forgot about my connectivity. Currently i use wireless with my laptop and im not sure im going to be able to directly connect my router to where my PC will be. Is there any option other than a wireless card and if not any suggestions for a wireless card?

Hate to sound like a complete idiot but do all the cables screws etc... come with the components?

Oh yeah, everything you need and more will come with the stuff...

If your not feeling overly confident, hardwareversand will built it for you for €20

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/3/pcconfigurator.jsp?pcConfigurator.res=1&pcConfigurator.gpOnly=0

You should build it yourself though, its really easy..

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, everything you need and more will come with the stuff...

If your not feeling overly confident, hardwareversand will built it for you for €20

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/3/pcconfigurator.jsp?pcConfigurator.res=1&pcConfigurator.gpOnly=0

You should build it yourself though, its really easy..

Yeah im deffinitely gonna build it myself, im gonna need to if i want to be able to eventually upgrade it, just wanted to make sure i didnt need to go hunting in Woodies for screws and cable

Edit: Forgot about my connectivity. Currently i use wireless with my laptop and im not sure im going to be able to directly connect my router to where my PC will be. Is there any option other than a wireless card and if not any suggestions for a wireless card?

I'd go with a USB adapter, it won't be stuck under a desk and can be placed
    accordingly for the best signal, it doesn't require opening your case to
    install and can easily be used with other machines.

This one is good

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=7252&agid=207

Great and now my final question (I hope) do i need a seperate sound card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

The only thing you'll need is a screwdriver. :)
    Great and now my final question (I hope) do i need a seperate sound card?
    There is onboard audio on the motherboard which is fine for most people, so unless you're an audiophile you don't need one.

Blowfish wrote: »
    The only thing you'll need is a screwdriver. :)
    There is onboard audio on the motherboard which is fine for most people, so unless you're an audiophile you don't need one.

Thanks :). Think thats all my questions answered now just gotta make sure ive got enough cash and order it. Will post again with an update of how it goes.

Advertisement