Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why are we paying so much for our fuel.

Options
  • 22-05-2008 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Why are we paying so much for our fuel, when its much cheaper in other countries like America, and the Middle East.

Is it that the American public would revolt if they were asked to pay the kind of prices we do.

While the middle east is just cheaper because they produce most of the oil in the first place, (appearenlty bottled water is dearer per litre in the middle east than petrol).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Because in Europe we are so used to being fecked in the ass by the government that it is natural for us to expect higher prices in everything and not complain too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

They say its to do with the amount of oil being used in developing countries like China, their huge demand is pushing prices up. I'd have though the strength of the Euro would have been pushing prices down, not up.

on the news earlier, they were saying some people expect oil to reach $200 per barrel (its $135 now). I hope to hell their wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

Opec

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

WHITE_P wrote: »
    Why are we paying so much for our fuel, when its much cheaper in other countries like America, and the Middle East.

Is it that the American public would revolt if they were asked to pay the kind of prices we do.

While the middle east is just cheaper because they produce most of the oil in the first place, (appearenlty bottled water is dearer per litre in the middle east than petrol).

We pay huge tax on out petrol, the US doesn't. Their gas has increased by a huge amount over the last couple of years ours hasn't, it's only increased by a small amount:D

Bottled water is dearer here then petrol!
    Senna wrote: »
    They say its to do with the amount of oil being used in developing countries like China, their huge demand is pushing prices up. I'd have though the strength of the Euro would have been pushing prices down, not up.

on the news earlier, they were saying some people expect oil to reach $200 per barrel (its $135 now). I hope to hell their wrong.

The price of oil is being driven by speculators. They think the price will get higher so they are buying it now and pushing the price up. If the developing countries where having that much of an effect then with OPEC not increasing output for a couple of years we'd have had petrol rationing, there is still plenty of petrol in the pumps.

The Euro's rise against the Dollar has cushioned us from the worst of the increase, but the Dollar is now getting a bit stronger and oil is still increasing so prices go up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Anan1 wrote: »
    Taxation.

Exactly, I'd say we would be paying 75c a litre otherwise.

(appearenlty bottled water is dearer per litre in the middle east than petrol).
    Bottled water is dearer than petrol here too.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

2c per litre in turkmenistan
    18c in Bahrain

i know this guy who works in Bahrain. He bought a hummer.

soon even used veggie oil will cost more than bottled water

• Registered Users Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Approx 10c/l in Saudi Arabia (Al Kohbar, across the causeway from Bahrain). It was 20c last year, but the huge profits made by the govenment enabled them to lower the prices at home...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Senna wrote: »

i heard that the guy that first predicted the the barrel of oil will reach 100 dollars a few years ago was laughed at and made a show of, now the same guy has said that he expects the price of oil to surpass the 200 dollar a barrel figure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

$200 a barrel isn't far away at all.

And diesel will not be getting cheaper any time soon, especially when we all get ready to start filling up at the black pumps from July when we buy our new cars.

The US and even Japan may also start to embrace diesel soon, and Australia has also started taking more of an interest in diesel, so that will push up the price of diesel even more.

As I drive petrol, this doesn't affect me though.

It is completely ironic that just as the Government has made the cost of ownership of diesels more attractive by lowering the purchase price and road tax of diesels, that the fuel now costs more, and will continue to cost more for the forseeable future.

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Approx 10c/l in Saudi Arabia (Al Kohbar, across the causeway from Bahrain). It was 20c last year, but the huge profits made by the govenment enabled them to lower the prices at home...

next time you go bring back some in a bottle for me please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

E92 wrote: »
    $200 a barrel isn't far away at all.

And diesel will not be getting cheaper any time soon, especially when we all get ready to start filling up at the black pumps from July when we buy our new cars.

The US and even Japan may also start to embrace diesel soon, and Australia has also started taking more of an interest in diesel, so that will push up the price of diesel even more.

As I drive petrol, this doesn't affect me though.

It is completely ironic that just as the Government has made the cost of ownership of diesels more attractive by lowering the purchase price and road tax of diesels, that the fuel now costs more, and will continue to cost more for the forseeable future.

There is a shortage of diesel and aviation fuel but NO shortage of petrol in the world, the latter two are driving the price up, oil peaked to a new record of $135 a barrel but today finished at $131, personally i will shorting oil as i think a lot of scaremongering is happening in the markets($200 barrel etc), but i believe the price will fall within a few weeks, the guy who predicted the $100 barrel is predicting $200 but i cant see this happening myself within the next few years anyway and believe we will get back to under $100 a barrel. I also could see the price of petrol come down at the pumps fairly soon but diesel staying put if not rising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

empirix wrote: »
    I also could see the price of petrol come down at the pumps fairly soon but diesel staying put if not rising
    I hope so. Petrol is better for us all anyway when it comes to all things environmental(the only thing paraffin stoves are better at is on CO2 and even that is debatable because diesel pollutes 13% more CO2 per unit consumed than petrol), though I'd be lying if I told you I'm bothered about that kind of thing, because really I'm more bothered about my wallet;)!

towel401 wrote: »
    2c per litre in turkmenistan
    18c in Bahrain

i know this guy who works in Bahrain. He bought a hummer.
    And that's why high fuel taxes are a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭The Gambler 101

The Government is robbing us left right and centre, between road tax, vrt and fuel prices its a fecking joke!

Was thinking of buying a car from uk last week, costs £15k, then would have to pay €14k vrt, another €1500 road tax and then the government want another €0.67 tax on every litre of fuel we buy!

If i lived in the uk, i would have to pay the €14k vrt, i would only have to pay £200 road tax! fair enough there fuel is more expensive, but would rather pay the extra for the fuel than pay the vrt and the heftier road tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the Govt. reduces VRT and road tax it'll go on to direct taxation or fuel. You'll pay the same cash over either way.... UK has higher direct taxation than we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Bottled water is dearer per litre here too.
    Ballygowan 500ml Still water - €1.46 = €2.92 per litre

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Government is robbing us left right and centre, between road tax, vrt and fuel prices its a fecking joke!
    Is it robbing if people voluntarily pay up?

Bottled water is dearer per litre here too.
    Ballygowan 500ml Still water - €1.46 = €2.92 per litre

I get them for 1.10 in collitch

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

well done you!

Advertisement