Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientology and Anonymous.

• 22-05-2008 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Scientology is a very dangerous cult and it is obvious that something has to be done to stop its human rights abuses.
    This activist group "Anonymous" has been doing a very good job of publicising the cults' abuses and what they have accomplished so far is fantastic.

It is actually beginning to look like Scientology may have finally met their match, and Anonymous deserve a hell of a lot of credit for what they have done and what they continue to do as because of their actions many lives could be saved.

Well done Anonymous, I personally have a lot of respect for the actions you have taken.

However, leaving all that aside for the moment, those Anonymous videos on youtube really piss me off! I mean don't get me wrong, I meant what I said, but still! Does nobody else find their "We are Anonymous, We are legion" etc. bull**** just so god damn pretentious and irritating?

It's like some nerdy kids at school who have made their own little gang so they can feel superior, and come up with these silly mottos that are meant to "strike fear into the hearts of their enemies, waahahahahaaaaaa"! It just seems so cheesy.

And now there's hundreds more videos on youtube put up by people who claim to represent Anonymous giving their own piece of noble wisdom to the public, all in that annoying electronic voice of course. I don't want to be cynical about it but it seems that the people who put up these videos are up their own asses thinking they have some kind of authority, while all the time trying to present it in some forebodeing, sinister way as if they have some unseen power that they could use to crush you if they so wish. I just find that kind of thing a little pathetic. ( ie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHMORCjE3hI&feature=related , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yozvaMGkDjo )

Even so, I have great respect and admiration for the people who actually do sacrifice their own free time to picket this cult and who work to promote free speech online and in the real world, at formidable risk to themselves.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else felt the same way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Well, you have to remember that Anonymous is mainly comprised of teenage or early 20-ish imageboard posters, so you can only expect them to behave as such. If you find them pretentious or irritating then you're probably expecting too much of them to begin with.

What I would like to see is them turning their attention to more worthy causes instead of a soft target like Scientology. I mean does anyone actually like Scientology that is not already an inductee? Guess they still want to be 'popular' at heart. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Recent thread on Scientology here.
    Just FYI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Standman wrote: »
    However, leaving all that aside for the moment, those Anonymous videos on youtube really piss me off! I mean don't get me wrong, I meant what I said, but still! Does nobody else find their "We are Anonymous, We are legion" etc. bull**** just so god damn pretentious and irritating?

Anonymous is not really any kind of organisation. The imageboards that allow anonymous posting kinda started to coin the term as a joke. People would request things from Anonymous and Anonymous, as a vast and faceless collective would provide. Similarly, if a post was deleted or moved to another board, or a meme were started (or stolen), the action could be laughingly attributed to Anonymous.

The anti-scientology movement seems to want to use that concept (along with the V for vendetta masks which relate to Epic Fail Guy) but there's not much evidence to suggest that "Anonymous" has any unified feelings about Scientology. I've heard that the imageboard communities are pretty ambivalent, if not actually hostile, towards the idea of using "Anonymous" as a front for a political movement. Anonymous is supposed to be a cynical, degenerate waster.

These are kids, adopting a very distinctly underground culture (the imageboards are just about as underground as the internet gets) in the same fashion that the emo kids and goths hijack elements of occultism as a means of creating a cultural identity. It works nicely as an attention grabbing gimmick too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Xhristy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

There are much more serious things out there to get a bee in your bonnet about than that...

I think another factor here is that Anonymous senses that it/they can actually 'win' against Scientology by inflicting long term technological or PR damage. The same could not be said for almost any other cause you'd care to back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i guess the imageboards like these boards have habit of throwing nonsense at people,trying to drown them in it, and its hard to say anything about scientology without getting sued so why not drown it in rickrolls

Advertisement