Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France

Options
  • 22-05-2008 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Have converted an old van and heading to france for two months. Any good spots? Any cheap campsites near good spots? Or free even!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Havent a clue about cheap but Biarritz is supposed to be one of the best places in Europe for surf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

Cathal10 wrote: »
    Have converted an old van and heading to france for two months. Any good spots? Any cheap campsites near good spots? Or free even!

Man that is an excellent plan well done on the conversion i'm so jealous.
    Get the storm rider guide to europe it's excellent will set you back about 40eu. It gives detailed descritions of all the major spots.
    I've surfed Biaritz and Anglet on a few trips and it's a great place to be. Good waves and what a location. Any room in the van, I wish :)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

La Torche in Brittany.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭argolis

I went surfing at La Cote Sauvage last summer, there's a campsite there but I don't know the name. There's a well-known lighthouse there called La Coubre and the campsite is practically under it. I thought it was a great spot but I guess I'm a noob - beachwizard says it's not great :o

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=la+rochelle,+france&ie=UTF8&ll=45.697847,-1.230211&spn=0.090401,0.220585&z=13&iwloc=addr

http://www.beachwizard.com/beach.asp?country=France&beachid=6840

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Lucky f*ck

I'd just spend the whole time travelling down the west cost not staying in one place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Gumby

hey mate good call on france. get down south if you can.

biarrizt is a good place to head for there is a campsite in anglet near chambre d'amour. vans are welcome (i think) and andf theres a cool bar open in the high season. surf picks up in autumn -august -sept is ideal.
    a plethora of perfect beachies cote d'basque just south of biarrtiz for longboarding / beginners and check out plage VVF for shorebreak barrells. not for the faint hearted.

think i saw some campervans in around the northern end carpark of plage VVF but not sure if they were stayin overnight for free or passin through.
    la gravierre is good too. grand plage in biarrtiz can get good. you can park your car under the shopping centre thing on the foreshore. dunno if ya vans got a high top though

hossegor is 25 mins north of biarritz and pumps. no other word for it. back breaking shorebreaks and perfect barrells when its on.

if you want to see some top end surfing check out the WQS event at hossegor in ausgust or better still the WCT event at hossegor in late september. you could follow the tour down to mundaka in northern spain too. would be a good oppurtunity to see kelly slater et al killing it.

have fun and keep it country.

Peace Out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Biarritz is very popular with tourists coming from several big French cities, especially in late July / August. I'd leave that til September (or go now) if possible. Otherwise, just prepare for it to be busy / campsites to be full etc (but it's still worth it)

Advertisement