Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's all this then?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 mildot

TBH I think ppl are frettin a bit to much over a copy of a cert being kept by RFDs.... but surley the prize for scumabgs intent on stealing information would be the register (book)of sales itself, which contains all info as displayed on the certs anyhow.... most dealers store these registers in the vaults or gunrooms they own. The bigger unseen danger is dealers who keep electronic records of certs ie scanned images and do not protect themselves from computer fraud... Information is valuable and can be sold to the scumbags who cant use a computer !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

True,it is unlikely that if you are knocking off a dealer that you are unlikely to make off with the dealers records.However,who else has acess to this file???? EG you have a less than honest employee who decides to make a few quid on the side flogging off this info to the local scumbag?? A lot safer and easier than trying to knock off ammo or firearms.And pretty untraceable as well.

Lets face it the average Irish FAC isnt exactly the most unforgeable document out there either.
    Nothing to stop anyone with a good computor from running up a good likeness and adding your info and going off and buying a fair bit of ammo.
    I wouldnt like to have to be the first here to say "told you so" if one day it does come out that this info from certs were misused.Yes the info is stored in both books,so why does it have to be this personal security breach be tolerated until somthing goes wrong??

Mildot is right.There is more of a chance of people losing this info thru it becoming electroniclly stored than written down.Not only that if you store this info electronically and are not DPA compliant you will be in trouble as well with the data protection comissioner,and are leaving yourself open to a civil lawsuit from the person whose data you lost.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Are there any cases where any of this has ever happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have heard an anecdotal story of one case where a register was stolen and houses were broken into afterwards.

Sparks wrote: »
    Are there any cases where any of this has ever happened?

Not yet...Doesn't mean it wont ever never happen.:eek:

Why is it a problem to close a loophole before it could become a problem for us all??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I have heard an anecdotal story of one case where a register was stolen and houses were broken into afterwards.
    Was it verified that that was what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

cos grizzly thats not the irish way of do things.the culture we have is to closes the gate after the horse has bolted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

All I can say it was in Tipperary and it did happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

there was a .270 rifle recovered in limerick awhile ago,where did this rifle come from? these people wouldnt bring that kind of firearm in with their drugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 a4775

i know a guy who had his two guns stolen
    he didnt know they were stolen though, until the guards called to the house to tell him that hsi shotgun was used in a robbery

apparently he had the guns just sitting under his bed, and the babysitter took them one night and gave them to her boyfriend

also, i have seen on my travels, a beautiful 20g silver pigeon that was cut down and made into a sawn off
    whoever did it finished it off nicely too, not the usually scrappy job

there are lads who will steal guns anyway, no matter if there are licences floating about or wether you have the guns in cabinets
    i think the safest way to store a gun is to break it down and keep the two parts in separate areas of the house

• Advertisement

patbundy wrote: »
    there was a .270 rifle recovered in limerick awhile ago,where did this rifle come from? these people wouldnt bring that kind of firearm in with their drugs

This would be the second one then...Somone must be a 270 short around here.

a4775 +1 On the break it down advice. Seems to be recommended procedure nowadays,wether U have a cabinet or not.Store one half in the cabinet and the other halves somwhere else in your abode.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Guy up our way was working in his shed one evening and a lad walked up behind him and put a gun to his head and told him to empty the gunsafe.
    bye bye 2 rifles and a shotgun:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Guy up our way was working in his shed one evening and a lad walked up behind him and put a gun to his head and told him to empty the gunsafe.
    bye bye 2 rifles and a shotgun:(

Ouch, not much you can do in those circumstances now is there. Some fresh underpants would be in order

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

Could he not have said " now that's plain greedy! you already have a perfectly edequate firearm pointed at the back of my head!":p

Advertisement