Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny newpapers

Options
  • 22-05-2008 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Does anyone argee with me as regards the very low level of journalistic skill in local Kilkenny newspapers?
    Worst of all has to be John Knox, Very very poor understanding of how the English language works. Barely literate in my opinion. The sports articles are uneven and full of cliches. A recent car review had at the most a 5% input from Knox, the rest was either directly transcribed from the car manufacturers' literature or downloaded from some website.
    I believe Gerry Moran is retired schoolteacher, but he writes like a 17 year old schoolboy. Again, I would suspect a lot of his material is website inspired , but ends up as being far from inspiring.
    Just to prove how bad standards are, I remember an articke some years ago about WELLINGTON SQUARE in Kilkenny, and everytime it was mentioned it was written "WELTON SQUARE", and that got past the editor!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Congratulations on joining boards, now tell us was it the poor lack of journalistic skills that motivated you join an internet forum and target Kilkenny people journalists or have you being harbouring this painful revelation for a while now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Come on, he's entitled to express his opinion! Journalists are fair game for criticism.

Mind you, he mustn't have ever read Jimmy Rhatigan...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Purry Cat wrote: »
    Come on, he's entitled to express his opinion! Journalists are fair game for criticism.

Jimmy Rhatigan...?? Should that be a name I know??

To be honest I agree with alot of his/her sentiments its the registering a new name just to slag off certain people and to bring up a mistaken name of a place name years ago I find questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

If its any comfort to you their IP address doesn't match any other users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

I remember an articke some years ago about WELLINGTON SQUARE in Kilkenny, and everytime it was mentioned it was written "WELTON SQUARE", and that got past the editor!

You remember a what now...an articke you say.

You gotta love the irony..

Plus whats all this business of commas followed by "and". What a fine grasp of the language you have.

pwned (sic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

You remember a what now...an articke you say.

You gotta love the irony..

Plus whats all this business of commas followed by "and". What a fine grasp of the language you have.

pwned (sic)

....But I don't write for a living....

Check out who signed in under their other user name to reply.

Am I to believe you are that stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Echelle

sorry, the last post got sent as I was formulating a reply...itshould have read :As I don't write for a living I can be expected to make mistakes too and Blackandamber is probably in the same boat.

I hope you never have to cover up a crime because you suck at covering your tracks.

Why was the opening word of your original post "...But", yet what you meant to post started with the word "As".

For christ sake all you had to say was you were posting from a friends PC and forgot to log them out before you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

oh leave the poor person alone!
    i regularly pick up Kilkenny newspapers and start counting mistakes!
    i find it hard to spell words like regularly, the Arctic Ocean and necessary, ii cant even remember if the name Michael is AE or EA.. half of the time i spend writing a post goes on fixing my spelling and mis-types!
    but a post i spelled wrong, i can go back to edit it and fix the mistakes..
    in a newspaper these things should be noticed! the grammar is down to the journalist but the spelling should be fixed! have they never heard of spell check?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ryan7984

I agree with blakkenamber. I have found many obvious mistakes in the Kilkeny People newspaper every week and my grammar and spelling is not the best which makes it all the more disconcerting. I also follow up on some articles from the Kilkenny People on the internet and find that they have been 99% cut and paste!

ryan7984 wrote: »
    I agree with blakkenamber. I have found many obvious mistakes in the Kilkeny People newspaper every week and my grammar and spelling is not the best which makes it all the more disconcerting. I also follow up on some articles from the Kilkenny People on the internet and find that they have been 99% cut and paste!
    We should all write in to the newspaper..
    simultaneously!!
    that would make them notice AND prove our point
    but just to make them mad.. we should mis-spell the words "Kilkenny People" at every possible chance.. "To the editor of the Kilkenny Poeple, ...."
    "i cant believe how terribly low the standard of grammar and spelling is at the Kikeny People... "
    That would show them! **shifty eyes** **evil laugh**

KatCookie wrote: »
    We should all write in to the newspaper..
    simultaneously!!
    that would make them notice AND prove our point
    but just to make them mad.. we should mis-spell the words "Kilkenny People" at every possible chance.. "To the editor of the Kilkenny Poeple, ...."
    "i cant believe how terribly low the standard of grammar and spelling is at the Kikeny People... "
    That would show them! **shifty eyes** **evil laugh**
    Are you drunk????

no, not drunk... just.. ... i dunno.. fed up of mispellings.. i picked up a book yesterday. i counted several mistakes on the one page.. it was quite suprising! you'd think it should have been picked up publishing!

so no letters into the Kilkenny People then? aww...

Apparently the Kilkenny Voice comes out as a paid-for paper for the last time next week.
    Complete change of direction. From the end of the month it'll be a free paper.
    All change on the local newspaper scene as the People are looking for a new editor following Tom Molloy's departure. As his successor will have to deal with the people from Johnston Press (who are supposedly very hard to deal with) as well as bring out the paper itself, I don't envisage a long queue for the job.
    Maybe one of the members here should apply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Apparently the Kilkenny Voice comes out as a paid-for paper for the last time next week.
    All change on the local newspaper scene as the People are looking for a new editor following Tom Molloy's departure. As his successor will have to deal with the people from Johnston Press (who are supposedly very hard to deal with) as well as bring out the paper itself, I don't envisage a long queue for the job.

I nominate you :D

Ah shure, we could all have a craic at it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Yes the Kilkenny Voice will be free from the 1st of July!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I still wouldnt pick one up if it was free. That newspaper lost any shred of credibility a long time ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tommydee

Has Carmel Hayes left the voice, they laid off eight in accounts and a few journos and the Laois paper closed this week as well. They must be nearly all gone burst by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭StudentEmeritus

The Voice was distasteful from the start.

The magazine was alright, but the paper itself was very poor quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭windy bee

The Kilkenny voice was a pile of sh!te from Day 1, it looked to me as if it was set up in a hurry as a way to cash in quickly on a market that had room for more than one paper, if this was the case then shoddy reporting, poor photos and mish-mash editing was certainly not the way to go. Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.

And once Niall Mellon pulls the plug on it, as he will before the end of the year, that will be it for the next 10 years as regards a rival to the Kilkenny People...

windy bee wrote: »
    Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.
    Now theres a quote worth remembering!!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

The Voice has contributed very little to life in Kilkenny as it is so I doubt it's going to do anymore in its new state.

And anyway, if the Kilkenny Voice goes bust entirely where's Jimmy Rhatigan going to be able to publish his weekly articles about dogs drinking pints of Guinness?

A crying shame...

He's gonna set up his own newspaper and give it away free on the streets of Kilkenny!
    The tourists will love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi guys

I know that Kilkenny have a brilliant hurling team. I just saw that their footballers have been whooped by London. That must have been a huge surprise(or maybe not!!!). Not a fan I have to say but will the Kilkenny papers be picking this up or will they not make such a fuss out of it. Never been to a hurling game before, I would love to in the future that's for sure but their footballers must be really bad. I know it doesn't help if hurling is the main sport. Anybody got anything to say on the matter?

DenMan wrote: »
    Anybody got anything to say on the matter?

maybe we do have opinions.. but read the title, this thread is complaining about the state of Kilkenny newspapers.. not how badly the football team is doing this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

KatCookie wrote: »
    maybe we do have opinions.. but read the title, this thread is complaining about the state of Kilkenny newspapers.. not how badly the football team is doing this year!

Hi

Wouldn't a lack of a report, say a football game be a genuine complaint somebody would have with a Kilkenny newspaper, especially if it was the Kilkenny footballers who were being over looked. I would say that's a genuine case. Maybe a little bit more support and encouragement from the local press might help them. It has to be hard to be living in the shadow of the hurlers all of the time. They are only trying their best you know!

Advertisement