Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift for expecting parents

Options
  • 22-05-2008 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭

Hi!

A great friend of mine told me that his wife is expecting a baby, but she's only just found out (7 weeks).

I'd really like to give him a present for the baby, but would just like to know at what stage of the pregnancy would be ok?

Sounds silly maybe, but I know nothing about this kind of thing and don't want to offend my good friends.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

afaik people generally give the gift when the baby is born. maybe a congratulations card and a small bunch of flowers as a token now.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Definintely wait till baby is born; Heaven forbid, but it is very early days yet and you don't know what will happen.

Many parents are surprisingly superstitious when it comes to having baby things in the house before baby arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

A present for the parents would probably be better - how about flowers, or a voucher for a nice meal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Irish superstition and folklore dictate that you only give a present after the child is born. Flowers for expectant mam sounds good.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

totally agree, small gift - flower chocs that kind of thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Hi!

A great friend of mine told me that his wife is expecting a baby, but she's only just found out (7 weeks).

I'd really like to give him a present for the baby, but would just like to know at what stage of the pregnancy would be ok?

Sounds silly maybe, but I know nothing about this kind of thing and don't want to offend my good friends.

Thanks!

A Gerard Majella medal from any religious shop. He is the patron saint of unborn children and after whom I am named (my mother had had 4 miscarraiges and was given such a medal by my aunt - she went full term and I was named after the saint - thank God it was St Cuthbert).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you really want to give a gift before the baby is born, how about Mothercare vouchers, as they can be used for maternity clothing etc. or later on for baby stuff. Do wait until after the 3 month stage though.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

I'll get them a voucher for dinner....!!

Thanks for all advice :)

Advertisement