Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Cheap Build

Options
  • 22-05-2008 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

So basically a friend wants a pc that can play Warcraft 3 and Counter Strike 1.6 at high settings. Im guessing seen as they are old games, the price of stuff needed wont be great. Dont include monitor, keyboard or mouse. I'm guessing an 80gb hard drive will be fine. Is there any way that he can get something upgradeable around this time next year to a machine of similar standards at that time?

Thank you for any help.

Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭conormurphy

class thanks man

My friends uncle said that this build should be perfect for high settings, and my friend can gt the case from dabs.ie for €48 with 480w psu

computerbuild001gy7.jpg

It matches the recommend settings in the box of bf2 and kills the settings of counter strike 1.6 so looks pretty good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Once again you're all over the place! Post one you mention Warcraft and CS1.6, and just there you're talking about BF2 again....BF2 is a world apart from those games and wouldn't run great on an 8400GS and 1Gb ram.

My builds below include the case and psu so these are total builds:

Note: option 1 would still play BF2 fine at medium-ish settings.

For Warcraft and CS1.6:

wc3.jpg

For above plus BF2:

Incidentally this machine would be good for most modern games at high settings on a normal resolution (with a bit of overclocking on the CPU for the very latest games like COD4 etc)...great find by Squall on the 8600GTS OC for 54 euro.

bf2.jpg

thanks a mill absolutely perfect

• Advertisement

I just noticed that the 256MB MSI RX1550 is only €3 dearer than the 128MB, would there be much point in changing?

3 euro can't hurt, though to be honest I'd say in and around 128mb is the max of its capability to use effectively.

but is this pc upgradeable in the future? or is it just stuck like that?

can option 2 be upgraded

It will take 1066mhz Core 2 Duo, though not the newer 1333mhz cpu's and newer 45nm parts.

but there's more then enough life in 800/1066mhz core 2 to last until Intel's entirely new socket next year so it's the least of your worries.

If you plan playing the latest games after all then option 2 simply needs a better cpu, like this for example and you're good to go with most recent games including cod4, bioshock, whatever at high settings on a 17" monitor.

You seriously need to make up your mind, you're always changing and switching between ultra cheap and decent! With todays hardware so cheap there is as big a gap between 'very cheap' and 'budget' as there is 'budget' and 'high end'.

would this not be better for 16 cent more than the first one? 2048MB DDR2 Aeneon PC6400 CL 5, PC6400/800

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

would this not be better for 16 cent more than the first one? 2048MB DDR2 Aeneon PC6400 CL 5, PC6400/800
    Yep, if it's only a few extra cent then definitely go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

omg......

You have two whole threads full of the same BS changing your mind and completely ignoring advice. Buy one of the machines the lads spec'd in the other thread and stop acting like a child

Thank you for your valuable input, tramoredude (incidentally, lovely place I hear). I will be sure to take your advice on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Go back to tramore boy and herd your sheep ya fag, feck off ya spammer....

The sheep arent gonna herd themselves...

harsh

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭muggyog

Tramoredude, thats the way adolescences behave! Is'ent that right Conor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Despite how Tramore said it, he is entirely right. He has been given terrific advice from squall, terror etc....
    Do yourself a favour Conor, pick one of the builds that the lads here made for you and just buy it. Because being harsh for a moment, you simply don't have the know how yet to put together a better one.

conormurphy banned for that random outburst of e-hatred. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thank you for your valuable input, tramoredude (incidentally, lovely place I hear). I will be sure to take your advice on board.

Lol, nice editing there, terror.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I quoted it though,

.......just as planned.

Advertisement