Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving Accuracy

Options
  • 22-05-2008 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Thought this article might prove of interest to some of the eternal tinkerers in these parts. Says a lot of interesting things on good options for less money. Worth a read anyway I should think, and I was reminded of it when I read meathshooter's thread about how tweaking helped him out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I was adjusting my own trigger last night. Cut over-travel down to next to nothing and lightened it slightly. I look forward to trying it at the range, but I think it should save me a few points that would otherwise have been out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I was adjusting my own trigger last night. Cut over-travel down to next to nothing and lightened it slightly. I look forward to trying it at the range, but I think it should save me a few points that would otherwise have been out. :)

Don't cut overtravel too much. With pistol it's a good idea because it helps reduce muzzle kick on recoil, but with a rifle you can end up having the gun pull against your trigger finger and go off target during follow through.

rrpc wrote: »
    Don't cut overtravel too much. With pistol it's a good idea because it helps reduce muzzle kick on recoil, but with a rifle you can end up having the gun pull against your trigger finger and go off target during follow through.

Hmm, it's looking very good for dry-firing practice and feels good, so I guess I'll see how it performs at the weekend, but if needs be, I'll add a bit to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Hmm, it's looking very good for dry-firing practice and feels good, so I guess I'll see how it performs at the weekend, but if needs be, I'll add a bit to it.

It will feel fine during dry firing, and even live firing.

The idea of follow through after the shot is to prevent you from 'jerking' the shot off knowing where the trigger breaks. Having it stop just after it breaks means that you can start to anticipate the shot breaking. If you have a longer after travel, you can train yourself to keep pulling the trigger after the 'break' and develop a smoother shot delivery without any anticipatory jerking. The whole idea is to not know exactly when the shot is going to be fired.

The other aspect is as I stated earlier: that when the shot is fired, the rifle will recoil into your shoulder and then back to it's rest position. If your finger is hard against the trigger stop at that point, that forward movement canl pivot against your finger slightly.

You won't observe too much difference yet until your groups get smaller. You may get more fliers though, through jerking the trigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

The other aspect is as I stated earlier: that when the shot is fired, the rifle will recoil into your shoulder and then back to it's rest position. If your finger is hard against the trigger stop at that point, that forward movement canl pivot against your finger slightly.

You won't observe too much difference yet until your groups get smaller. You may get more fliers though, through jerking the trigger.

I love seen little gems of info like this :D
    I only wish we would see more if it on the boards like in a shooting tips section.

~B

The idea of follow through after the shot is to prevent you from 'jerking' the shot off knowing where the trigger breaks. Having it stop just after it breaks means that you can start to anticipate the shot breaking. If you have a longer after travel, you can train yourself to keep pulling the trigger after the 'break' and develop a smoother shot delivery without any anticipatory jerking. The whole idea is to not know exactly when the shot is going to be fired.

Okay, I'll back it off a little. Cheers rrpc.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Thanks rrpc,

I've alway known that follow through was necessary but i never really new why.

Advertisement