Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prawns on the BBQ

• 22-05-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Looking for advice please-
    I bought a kilo of huge prawns today. Can I just put them straight on the bbq ? Should I marinate them, how long do I cook them for.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Marinate them if you like. I's skewer them with lemon grass and bang them straight on. Cook them just until they lose their translucent appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Sorry if this sounds stupid but do I just use the tails and throw away the rest ? I have only ever bought prawn tails before.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yeah, just use the tails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

If the prawns are uncooked (grey) and complete (shell and head on), I would bbq them whole.

Sichuan pepper and salt prawns are delicious and very simple to make. Combine equal quantities of sichuan pepper, white pepper and salt. Dry fry the spices in a pan for a few minutes. Allow to cool before grinding in a pestle and mortar. Add the sea salt.

Cook the whole prawns on the bbq until pink. (These are usually deep fried.) Remove and brush with oil, then sprinkle with the spice-salt mixture before returning to the bbq for a minute or two.

The dish works because some of the salt-spices on the shells finds it way onto the meat as each person peels the prawn with their fingers. It doesn't work with peeled prawns, I've found, because the salt-spices is too much - smothering the flavour of the prawns - and it's too salty. Just make sure there are plenty of napkins and cold beer.

As to your question about throwing away the heads. Cooking with the head and shell on will help keep the meat moist. Also, some people like to suck the juices from the head, known as tomalley, it is a delicacy in places like Thailand. (Not to be confused with lobster tomalley, which is green and inedible).

Anyway, removing the head or shells before cooking is not necessary - just depends on how squimish your diners are.

Thank you all so much for your help. Really looking forward to dinner tonight now. Off to drag the BBQ out of the garage. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Just wondering - where did you buy them & how much?! I'm assuming they are raw?

Superquinn for €12 per kilo .I presume they have them in all branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anonimouse

Were they raw in SQ? I have only seen them cooked in SQ but it would be great to get some raw prawns, they're so difficult to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Had some done like this in the US: Wrap whole prawns in tin foil withsome butter and some garlic. Stick on bbq. Holy crap delicious.

Advertisement