Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place to get gear?

• 22-05-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

and i dont mean drugs. is there any good online stores but preferably a shop in ireland thats cheap and has big selection. was on a few english and american sites and they all seem roughly the same.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

and i dont mean drugs. is there any good online stores but preferably a shop in ireland thats cheap and has big selection. was on a few english and american sites and they all seem roughly the same.
    Depends on what you are riding, If you have a moped or scooter you can find excellent gear in Lidl or Aldi, if you are on a motorbike you would need something more serious and would be worth trying some of the shops in town such as Cotters Motorcycles in Ballymount or place oposite the old Mountjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pirate reject

I am based in England now and so am fortunate enough to hava a choice of good (and reasonably priced) bike shops to choose from. I find one of the best is Infinity Motorcycles and they do have a web site from where Im pretty sure they will ship to Ireland. They usually have a good special offers section with a large selection of kit. With the rate of exchange the way it is at the moment I imagine you would be able to get yourself a bargain.

http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/

http://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/products1.asp?DepartmentID=171

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I've been looking to replace some gear lately too-

Cotters have good value alright, worth a look. Not many places that are especially cheap, but Megabikes on Wexford St are worth a look too, as are Capital Honda.

This crowd are based in Ireland, and have a good selection http://www.allmoto.ie/ If you buy a few items they usually offer up to 15% discount.

Another option is Hein Gericke up north- they have a shop in Newry, and one in Belfast. Good selection of their own and name brand gear.

Any particular gear you're after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Probably the best places is hold on and wait for the road races. You just missed the North West :( Usually at the end of these events they flog off stuff cheap. Crossons of Newry usually have a good stall, I picked up an Arai at 100 Quid off. Skerries is coming up soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

if you can wait till the end of the year, then the birmingham bike show is very good for bike gear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Depends on what you are riding, If you have a moped or scooter you can find excellent gear in Lidl or Aldi, if you are on a motorbike you would need something more serious

That's a theory a lot of people believe in.

It's complete bollocks though. The hazards you face on any type of bike are exactly the same.

You only need to fall off at 20mph in jeans and with bare hands once to realise that it's a really bad idea. The type of bike you fell off is irrelevant.

Also it's easy to injure your ankle in such a way as to disable you permanently - a limp, or worse - so good boots should be an essential. Next after that would be knee protection.

I had a crash a couple of years ago where the car actually hit my foot, if I'd been wearing trainers instead of strong bike boots I could easily have lost my foot.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

not looking for any particular brand or anything. maybe just a leather jacket, helmet, boots and textile pants (everything basically) and not the cheapest possible either cos it has to actually give some protection.

thanks for the suggestions, i'll check them out.

Advertisement