Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a top notch Dublin eaterie please

• 22-05-2008 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi

I've been looking to treat myself to one of Dublin finest restaurants and I get my chance soon, albeit only a Monday lunchtime.

Can someone please recommend a restaurant along the lines of L'Ecrivain, Chapter One etc. I haven't been to any of the supposed best eateries so want to get started, and don't worry about price....I will !:D

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

What about Guilbauds?

http://www.restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie/

I've heard amazing things about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

What about Guilbauds?

http://www.restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie/

I've heard amazing things about it.

Good ideas, you can do a lunch form 38 euro to see if like their food

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Thanks very much for that. Guilbaud's looks very nice. Well worth considering.

I've been advised to go to Peploe's.....anyone been there before...?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I think lunch is the best option for Guilbaud's. If you do decide to go there for an evening meal, don't go too early, they have a lot of staff on in the evening, if it's early they can be too fussy.

Thorton's at the Fitzwilliam is where I'll be heading next. I'd imagine Kevin will be looking to get his second michelin star back so he may be mounting an extra push.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Thortons is the epitome of fussy, over worked food. The wine menu has to have the highest markup in Dublin. Service is disjointed. And like Mint in Ranelagh, I have no great desire to "meet" the chef. Talk about ego!

I would recommend Chapter One for a truly memorable meal, outstanding food, great service, no rush. It is a great restaurant. Not sure if they do lunch, but the pre-theatre menu is the best value in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Shanahans FTW. The steaks are high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ClassicDisaster

Well, Chapter one is realy fantastic for lunch, 3 courses for €38, they close on monday tho, as does mint.nt sure bout guliibaud's(food was fantastic but a little bit booring/soulless, the service is also very fussy.), l'ecravain or thorntons.

i ate in peplos once, it was nice but not fantastic, the lunch menu looks to be pretty good value tho.

rhodes d7 is again nice and good value for lunch.

l'gueuleton is also very nice, but very informal/braseree style.

To tell the truth, i would come back on a tuesday and eat in chapter one, it is in my opinion the best restaurant in dublin!

IronMan wrote: »
    I have no great desire to "meet" the chef. Talk about ego!

I have met kevin thornton, he isnt that bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Is jeans ,boots and a t-shirt acceptable attire for lunch at chapter one? Heading in for lunch soon and hate dressing up for dinner lark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Is jeans ,boots and a t-shirt acceptable attire for lunch at chapter one? Heading in for lunch soon and hate dressing up for dinner lark.

Don't think that should be a problem really.

But, if your still not sure - perhaps just "collar-up" with a casual shirt (or Polo Shirt) + Jeans and boots.

Enjoy.

Chapter One is the best

• Advertisement

Well, thee last time I ate in chapter one I wore jeans and a t-shirt, with no coller, it was for lunch and I was fine, you should have no problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

patrick gibaud over all, then the rest (chapter one, ecrivan and so on)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

one often overlooked is the tea room in the clarence. they have a fantastic lunch menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Whats the Shelbourne like for food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

WindSock wrote: »
    Whats the Shelbourne like for food?

decent, as in no complaints, good food well cooked. pretty pricey though. but i would rate the tea room much higher with regards to hotel restaurants food wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Shelbourne struggled badly at the beginning, Christmas time in particular was shocking. Reports are it has improved since then and is starting to find its feet.
    OP, I'd always recommend eating lunch in restaurants. Peploes is mid-market, about e12 for a main course. but not top class. Nice place, always busy, food is generally good, some staff poor. Rhodes is fairly poor based on my experience.

Advertisement