Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant win!

Options
  • 22-05-2008 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

So I brought back the 3 modem and got a refund, except for the 50 deposit which is in the post apparently. Then I booked digiweb to come out and install their little antenna, who were stopped by the management company at the gate and refused entry. Today I went and bought Irish broadband in a box ripwave, and there was no cd in the box to install it. However its plugged in and where the little led box is that says what signal and what quality you have is, it has no bars whatsoever but says connected.
    Is there anyone who has ripwave and the bars didnt show up until theyre software was installed? Seriously considering bringing it back now and just bitting the bullet with eircoms fixed line rental.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you can get eircom broadband then don't bother wasting your time with mobile or ripwave (unless of course you don't plan on being there much longer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭curadh

Beggars cant be choosers, 18.95 a month compared to eircoms 50 odd euro a month for the line and service. For some reason I'm picking up the net off someone elses modem, when I view available wireless networks eircoms is at full bar, but the one Ive connected to is at 2 bars. I realise this is stealing and unfair so obviously want to sort somethng out. Is there any way I can find out what network they are on so I can get something similar? Is there anyway to ping or something? Cos obviously Ive no idea which apartment the signals coming from.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I suppose. The price wasn't one of the things I considered. Maybe you could ask whoever has the wireless you are connecting to whether they'd like to share it with you and you'll split the bill with them. As long as you don't do a load of downloading and hog all the bandwidth they might not have a problem. Hardly ideal but it might suit the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ripwave very similar to 3G, but with higher latency and lower peak speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

curadh wrote: »
    So I brought back the 3 modem and got a refund, except for the 50 deposit which is in the post apparently. Then I booked digiweb to come out and install their little antenna, who were stopped by the management company at the gate and refused entry. Today I went and bought Irish broadband in a box ripwave, and there was no cd in the box to install it. However its plugged in and where the little led box is that says what signal and what quality you have is, it has no bars whatsoever but says connected.
    Is there anyone who has ripwave and the bars didnt show up until theyre software was installed? Seriously considering bringing it back now and just bitting the bullet with eircoms fixed line rental.
    if it has no signal bars when you plug it even without the software cd installed then it is not revieving a good signal and you will not be able to get any good speeds!

i tried them out last year and was told by IBB tech department that certain double glazing(argon filled) can block the signal. afaik this can also be the case with clearwire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Also if you have ethernet model rather than USB version, no CD is needed. I suspect it is anti IR loss / UV blocking filters rather than Argon. Anyway all they need is dry air, there would be no significant advantage to Argon. Some glasses also have a much higher metal /salt content than pure quartz and may thus block signals more.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Put the ripwave beside an open window, if you still get no bars.....gently nudge it out the window as it is useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

PUT ripwave on window sill,point right, left ,straight ahead ,do you get at least 3 bars, if not bring it back ,get a refund.IT HAS 2 be pointed in direction of the aerial, ibb have aerial location map on the website.if aerials ,north and modem s pointed south you,you will get zero bars,no signal.ITS los line of sight.i got 3modem from carphone warehouse ,it always gets at least 200k where ever i go ,you just buy phone credit ,prepay, its not a huwaie modem,you pay no bill per month, if you get 25credit that gives you a months webacess.
    THE 3g shop only sells white huawie modems.my modem works like phone, i dont have to put it near a window.Might be handy if you have good 3g coverage in your area.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

curadh wrote: »
    Beggars cant be choosers, 18.95 a month compared to eircoms 50 odd euro a month for the line and service. For some reason I'm picking up the net off someone elses modem, when I view available wireless networks eircoms is at full bar, but the one Ive connected to is at 2 bars. I realise this is stealing and unfair so obviously want to sort somethng out. Is there any way I can find out what network they are on so I can get something similar? Is there anyway to ping or something? Cos obviously Ive no idea which apartment the signals coming from.

The strengty of the wireless signal will have nothing to do with the quality of the bb if thats what you mean. For example you could just be nearer to the one you are connecting to.

Advertisement