Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin: 24th May

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

El Tonto, NiceOneTom,
    is this the winding road where we pealed off from some of the other guys?
    Cruagh Road:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.245136,-6.31216&spn=0.034309,0.080338&z=14

P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

dub_skav wrote: »
    How did yis get on with this? How far did you end up going, how long did it take?

Managed to do my planned spin yesterday, Arklow -> Dublin via Wicklow and Sally gaps, 140k all told.
    The wind was horrible

My computer endeded on just over 135Km, with about 6.5hrs saddle time. For me, it was totally knackering, the wind was bad enough to make me want to quit cycling altogether at some points on the way up Sally Gap, but made it home eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

My computer endeded on just over 135Km, with about 6.5hrs saddle time. For me, it was totally knackering, the wind was bad enough to make me want to quit cycling altogether at some points on the way up Sally Gap, but made it home eventually!

Fair play to all so. The wind was something I hadn't really contended with up until now - not pleasant at all. On some stretches that I know and was expecting to be doing about 30km/h, I was labouring in to the wind at 15 odd km/h. If it's windy like that for the W200 I reckon it'll be a very long day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

yeah, that's where that carpark is.

could one of ye lads plot out the route we took? i really liked it but i don't know what point we left the n81 at.

i learnt an important lesson on saturday night: beer is not a recovery drink.

niceonetom wrote: »
    yeah, that's where that carpark is.

could one of ye lads plot out the route we took? i really liked it but i don't know what point we left the n81 at.

Thanks mate.
    I have it on the Garmin, I'll stick it up this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Where'd you get that idea from?
    5tw9hs4ulu9q
    I think that the 'non-alcoholic' bit indicates that it's not for alcoholics...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Raam wrote: »
    El Tonto, NiceOneTom,
    is this the winding road where we pealed off from some of the other guys?
    Cruagh Road:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.245136,-6.31216&spn=0.034309,0.080338&z=14

P

Yep, that's it, Cruagh Road, which then merges into Edmonstown Road. You should try the climb up it sometime. It's a good one.

el tonto wrote: »
    Yep, that's it, Cruagh Road, which then merges into Edmonstown Road. You should try the climb up it sometime. It's a good one.

By good one, do you mean a killer... I know all about you and your understatement of hills :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

By good one, do you mean a killer... I know all about you and your understatement of hills :)

It's a hard one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭RtD

I find White Russians work best, a good mixture of energy and protein. Bloody Marys are good for getting your vitamin levels back up also :p

• Advertisement

RtD wrote: »
    I find White Russians work best, a good mixture of energy and protein. Bloody Marys are good for getting your vitamin levels back up also :p

You are the expert in this area :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Fair play to all so. The wind was something I hadn't really contended with up until now - not pleasant at all. On some stretches that I know and was expecting to be doing about 30km/h, I was labouring in to the wind at 15 odd km/h. If it's windy like that for the W200 I reckon it'll be a very long day
    Try to stick in a bunch, makes it a hell of a lot easier. I punctured on the Mick Byrne 200 yesterday at around 60km and had to limp the rest of the 140km on my own. After the turn back had horrendous winds; only reprieve being the climbs where the wind was blocked by the mountain! The climbs were actually substantially easier than the flat bits, it was that windy.

blorg wrote: »
    Try to stick in a bunch, makes it a hell of a lot easier. I punctured on the Mick Byrne 200 yesterday at around 60km and had to limp the rest of the 140km on my own. After the turn back had horrendous winds; only reprieve being the climbs where the wind was blocked by the mountain! The climbs were actually substantially easier than the flat bits, it was that windy.

I think I saw some of the folks from the Mick Byrne, somewhere near Rathdrum?

I was coming from Arklow and have to agree about the climbs, at least on the climbs it was only my legs working against me, the flats were no fun.

I think I saw some of the folks from the Mick Byrne, somewhere near Rathdrum?

I was coming from Arklow and have to agree about the climbs, at least on the climbs it was only my legs working against me, the flats were no fun.

It's likely, I've attached the bottom part of the route below so you can see where we went. You certainly picked the wrong day to cycle Arklow to Dublin! (The other way would have been a dream.) Which way did you go? Over the mountains?

MB200route.png?t=1211811695

Here ya go: <link deleted>
    I'm not sure if it's my PC or Google Maps that is acting up, but sometimes the whole route isn't showing.

Edit: screw it, Google maps is confusing me today, and me an engineer. I'll sort summat else out.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭rogerb

I've attached the bottom part of the route below so you can see where we went.

Hey blorg, is that image taken from Google Maps or similar? Do you have a URL for the whole thing?

It's a screen grab from SportsTracks, was limited by the height of my monitor ;-) - I'll sort out a complete route and upload it. Can supply gpx file also!

I'll sort out a complete route and upload it. Can supply gpx file also!

That would be fantastic, thanks!

It's likely, I've attached the bottom part of the route below so you can see where we went. You certainly picked the wrong day to cycle Arklow to Dublin! (The other way would have been a dream.) Which way did you go? Over the mountains?

I saw a group of around 15/20 with 2 or 3 off the back between Avoca and rathdrum, must have been some of the Randoneers so.

I went over the Wicklow Gap E - W, then up Sally Gap from the West, went straight through and up Luggala, round to Enniskerry from the Roundwood side (that was the worst bit, slightly uphill and into the wind) then from Enniskerry to Bray and back into the city.

I really did pick a bad day, but I figure it can't get much worse than that so it was good training

I've put the Mick Byrne 200 route up on Bikely and MapMyRide, so whichever you prefer. It is from just a bit after the start (forgot to press the "start" button, duh) to Shankill on the way back, when my battery died. MapMyRide seems to simplify the route somewhat which means it is easier to load but less accurate and has a shorter length. I've also attached a KML (Google Earth) file taken directly out of SportsTracks from the original data - this would be more accurate than the processed exports from MapMyRide (and maybe Bikely too, not sure.) So you can fly around the route in Google Earth if you like!

• Advertisement

I've put the Mick Byrne 200 route up on Bikely and MapMyRide

Cool, thanks.

Advertisement