Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year Out

Options
  • 23-05-2008 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Ok well ive been thinkin of doin this for a while now but the everyone keeps thinking that it means im just not goin to go to college after..the main reason is funds really and as i didnt do ty im only 17 goin to college.And i missed alot of school days this year and with college i know ill prob just do the same and i dont want to waste my time i want to make sure im mature enough to handle it..was just wonderin how what people thought of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

In my opinion you shoulld definitely take the year out.. I went straight in2 college after the leaving and im now in 2nd year and i hate the course I'm doin...I wasn't ready for college when I started because I had no idea what I wanted 2 do...take ur time 2 find out what u want and enjoy a year off from education!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

When are you 18?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

I would suggest you do take a year out yes. I went to college when i was just turned 17 and wasn't ready at all, ended up dropping out soon after. I think 18 is the perfect age to start, and you should wait till then. Work for the year, save up, and then you'll have the funds to go next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Jamey wrote: »
    I would suggest you do take a year out yes. I went to college when i was just turned 17 and wasn't ready at all, ended up dropping out soon after. I think 18 is the perfect age to start, and you should wait till then. Work for the year, save up, and then you'll have the funds to go next year.

That's what I was going to aim at with my reply to when he is 18.

Also OP you will miss out socially aswell, being 17 not able to go places, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

When are you 18?

18 at the end of january!!my idea was get a full time job for the year and save up a good bit of money..plus theres not much hassle i dont think as you can just defer your place for a year when you get your points!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

To be honest you're better off not going to college until you're 18. You'll miss out on a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

Completely agree with sean k the amount of stuff that you will miss out on is unaccountable! Would strongly advise on workin for the year, buy a motor with the 'doo rae me' that u earn!!!! Well that wat 2 of my mates did!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

ye like i said im pretty set on doin it but most especially the mother as she thinks i'll just get used to the money and never go to college..

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

I'm turning 18 in June but I'm thinking about taking a year out too.

Yeah, every god damn person has told me I'll never end up going to college.

But I can't decide between about 3 courses, and if I change my mind after doing a year in uni, don't I lose your government-paid fees? (and 6-7 months of living expenses)

Better to be working for a year and checking things out and then make a decision (ultimately I wanna start a business, and I can see how that's going and then go for a business degree, but I think business studies would bore me too much at this point).

And hell if I got a good job that was going the right way maybe I would stay at it.

Damn if I was gonna be 17 for 3 months of college my decision would be much easier still.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

wardides wrote: »
    ye like i said im pretty set on doin it but most especially the mother as she thinks i'll just get used to the money and never go to college..
    Save your money!! You'll have no problem going through it when you get to college.

• Advertisement
Advertisement