Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Monitors?

Options
  • 23-05-2008 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get a budget set of near-fields for my home recording set-up, being a student tho, my budget is quite small, any one got any recommendations? i have an old 60 watt small pa amp would this do for driving a set of passives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I'm looking to get a budget set of near-fields for my home recording set-up, being a student tho, my budget is quite small, any one got any recommendations? i have an old 60 watt small pa amp would this do for driving a set of passives?

That's a very difficult one Squire. In my experience the lower end 'monitors' tell you very little - so much so that a small hifi might be better insofar for X Euro you may get better value because of the scale of hi fi production. I remember buying a nice little Sony one a couple of years ago that was ok.

The big problem in cheap ones usually is the 'Bum- Tiss' issue i.e overemphasized low end to make the box sound 'bigger' (bum) and over emphasized top end to sound 'shiny' (Tiss) - you're left completely clueless about what you're hearing!

Some of the worst dogs I've tried are by Alesis and Tannoy. (Both brands I can sell!)

Maybe track down a secondhand pair of NS10Ms on Ebay? They will, without a shadow of a doubt, blow out any new competition in that price range.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭fitz

Got a set of Yamaha HS50M's there recently.
    Very nice monitors and not so pricey....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I have a set of Ns10s and they are top notch. Im not convinnced about them around below about 150Hz but thats almost definitely my room. Every time I mix on them I am spoiled for the mid/high definition!

Can you get cheap genelecs? I really like the sound of them. Or didnt adam bring out a budget line?

sei046 wrote: »
    I have a set of Ns10s and they are top notch. Im not convinnced about them around below about 150Hz but thats almost definitely my room. Every time I mix on them I am spoiled for the mid/high definition!

Can you get cheap genelecs? I really like the sound of them. Or didnt adam bring out a budget line?

It's commonly agreed NS10s don't sound 'Good' but the information in the midrange they offer allows you to mix.

You may have noticed them on top of Trevor Horn's console in that Vid I posted yesterday?

He can have ANYTHING, and choses a 25 year old hifi speaker!

I'm also not 'convinnced' about Dave's spelling ....;)

There is nnothing wronng with two nns!
    What I enjoy about it them is there is no bullshi*t. Your not getting this mad "Loudness" type sound. Nothing is super hyped and by god do they make you work! I hate sitting in front of a set of monitors and it sounds class. My first thought is "Something is wrong!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

I got a pair of Yamaha HS 50m's recently as well - Snap Fitz!.

I'm really enjoying the sound from them. Very clear & flat as Fcuk.

They were a great price of Musicstore.

My old pal Jens O was hard to beat - yet again! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mongoose

dynaudio bm6a
    ok so there not so cheap 1300 euro a pair
    but get them if you can in my oppinion there the best set of nearfield monitors your gonna get.....well maybe not if your gonna spend around 6000 but i think thats kinda being ambitious..

adam a7 arnt a bad pair either 700 a pair but find the low end a bit exagerated also take a look at the krk's theres a decent pair around for the same price as the adams which are also quite good.

and avoid tannoys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

M-Audio BX whatever's are popular.
    Not sure if you even get a set of hi fi speakers for 60 quid. Altec Lansing had a set of computer speakers that used to sound good. My advice would be to just blag anything for free and save, save, save. Buy cheap, Buy Twice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

studiorat wrote: »
    M-Audio BX whatever's are popular.
    Not sure if you even get a set of hi fi speakers for 60 quid. Altec Lansing had a set of computer speakers that used to sound good. My advice would be to just blag anything for free and save, save, save. Buy cheap, Buy Twice
    had the bx5s.
    dont get them.they colour everything fantastically well.i used to thin k my tracks sounded top notch on them,waqsnt until i got my genelecs that i found out what they really sounded like.horrible.avoid avoid avid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

been offered a second hand set of Alesis M1's fairly cheap...
    yay or neh?
    from what i've read they seem to perform pretty well. they're also within my budget!!

• Advertisement

been offered a second hand set of Alesis M1's fairly cheap...
    yay or neh?
    from what i've read they seem to perform pretty well. they're also within my budget!!

If they're the Mark 1's they are , in my opinion, useless.

AFAIK they're mark 2s.
    any better?

Don't know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

I got these http://www.thomann.de/ie/tannoy_reveal_aktiv_5a_02.htm have thenm nearly 2 years and am very pleased with them, good bit cheaper these days too.

seannash wrote: »
    had the bx5s.
    dont get them.they colour everything fantastically well.i used to thin k my tracks sounded top notch on them,waqsnt until i got my genelecs that i found out what they really sounded like.horrible.avoid avoid avid

That's because Genelics sound bleedin' horrible anyway!
    They might be accurate and all that but I couldn't spend a day infront of them.

studiorat wrote: »
    That's because Genelics sound bleedin' horrible anyway!
    They might be accurate and all that but I couldn't spend a day infront of them.
    isnt that the point,for them to be accurate?
    id rather hear what my track sounds like exactly rathered than be lied to by a monitor.
    am i wrong here:eek:

Ye i am with seanash. That sounds a little like blasphemy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 -PhreaK

I used to have a pair of the Alesis M1 MKII's and they work a treat for a budget setup. They haven't got the biggest low end response so it's worth your while double checking your tracks on an RTA to make sure you don't have mass's of LF energy they're just not producing.

If you can afford it I'd recommend saving up for a bit of acoustic treatment as it will do wonders to your setup.

sei046 wrote: »
    Ye i am with seanash. That sounds a little like blasphemy!

Glassy would be a word I'd use to describe some of the Genelics.
    Personally I prefer a slightly "Browner" ;o) sounding monitor.

browner,does that mean **** :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭danjokill

I have a set of Alesis MKII and I hate them I only use them as a second pair to see what a mix might sound like on a Home Stereo (I would grade these as HI-Fi standards) .... I bought last christmas a Pair of KRK RP6's and these are super. 9/10

www.myspace.com/redcapprojectstudio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

heretics badmouthing genelecs!!!!!!

i can understand where some people come from about them. When I was mixing rock music I preferred the Mackie HR824's.

Wouldn't trade my genelecs in for any other monitor though.

I havent done any mixing personally on them. Been AT mixes with them and like the punch out of them. Then again im coming from NS10s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

I like my Genelec's but I don't like the way the steel grid in front of each speaker is curved. I like a flat wall as opposed to curved. Why do they curve them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

PMC IB1S- sound fantastic AND you get a perfect mix. No ear pain, no brain pain, as with NS10s. Those will get you a good mix, but you pay for it in stress.

Now I'll wait for the posts about the cost of PMCs :)

PS Tannoy Reveals are actually pretty good for your needs. Just be careful to check your mixes on other systems. You're not going to get anything decent for less than 1000, so make do.

madtheory wrote: »
    PMC IB1S- sound fantastic AND you get a perfect mix. No ear pain, no brain pain, as with NS10s. Those will get you a good mix, but you pay for it in stress.

Now I'll wait for the posts about the cost of PMCs :)

IB2SAs are much superior , new mid range design.

PMCs aren't more expensive than similar sized/powered monitors like Genelec or Dynaudio.

I love them.

However, they're not particularly fun to listen to , but will push you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    IB2SAs are much superior , new mid range design.
    I don't doubt it, but I haven't heard them.
    PMCs aren't more expensive than similar sized/powered monitors like Genelec or Dynaudio.
    Yes but I think it's safe to say they're outside the OP's budget.
    I love them.
    Me too.
    However, they're not particularly fun to listen to , but will push you in the right direction.
    It was the most fun I ever had! :)

Think i'm going to try out the alesis monitors for a week or so, see how i get on, i just want something cheap to tide me over till i save up for something decent... im not really going to be doing serious mixing on them as such. thanks for all the input!
    also what's the going rate these days for a set of NS10s?

Think i'm going to try out the alesis monitors for a week or so, see how i get on, i just want something cheap to tide me over till i save up for something decent... im not really going to be doing serious mixing on them as such. thanks for all the input!
    also what's the going rate these days for a set of NS10s?
    if you idea is to buy something cheap now and save up for better ones later id say just keep saving and get the better ones.dont get the cheap ones at all.its costing you more money to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I mix through a hi-fi stereo. I'm guessing ANYTHING I buy would be better than what i currently have, yes?

Also, sorry to hijack this.

Advertisement